Avernum 4 wish list.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum 4 wish list.
Apprentice
Member # 5325
Profile #0
Hi,
I made this topic so that we could discuss what things we'd like to see in A4 in terms of gameplay, ideas for spells, items, monsters, NPC's, etc.
So if you could keep your plot discussions to the A4 plot topic and your discussion on whether of not there should be an A4 or not to the 'Avernum 4' topic that would be great.

I like the idea of NPC's of other races(vahnatai, rakasha, etc) that you can get to join your party but not start the game off as. I also really like the idea that these characters would have many unique skills such as a unique vahnatai magic system or vahnatai weapons mastery skill! (somebody else already suggested this on the A4 plot topic)

I personally would love for a monk/martial arts NPC to be available that doesn't have any of the weapons skills and can only wear cloth armor, but has all types of unarmed fighting skills and styles, skills to enhance hitpoint regeneration, action points and dodging.

Another spell realm would be great! As would another alchemy type ability that has lots of different subparts(recipes) to learn/find/buy. Maybe tailoring? bit WoW though.

I'd also like to go back to the A2 damage and hitpoint system , so your not doing 130 damage within a few hours of playing! but raise the damage cap to 200 so by the very end of the game you start doing 150+ damage. This is just something that annoyed me about A3(though I loved A3 in general), feel free to diagree with/ignore me.

Also i'd like the Jade halberd to have acid damage again if it is used(from memory I think it doesn't have it in A3?) and for 'artifact weapons' like the Black halberd to be more special, like allowing them to bypass the damage cap by 100 or something, because in A3 if you have high enough strength/blademastery you can make any weapon do max damage.

Equipment slots for belts and earrings would be fun also! even if they didn't add anything to you stats. maybe you could only get a quest from a pirate if you had a big gold earring or something!?
More types of cloth armour types!!(I love playing a cloth armor party.)

I'd also like there to be more high end dungeons, like the Pit of the Wyrm in A3 ..but harder.

oh yeah, I'd also like for some high level monsters to never have less than a 20% chance of hitting you even if you have gymnastics level 20 and defense level 30! It gets boring when nothing can hit you anymore.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to everybodies ideas!
Dav
Warrior
Member # 5321
Profile #1
my big wish is that the empire are the good guys, and your sent in to kick some vahnatai ass ;)
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
How about no damage cap period?

Dream On by Aerosmith -- this topic's theme song.

Jeff does what he wants and feels and that's about it. Even his betatesters have a hard time extracting change from him. BoA was the notable exception, but that depends on a strong and dedicated user base.

Believe me, we've seen about 28 topics just like this before for every new game. They never work.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #3
quote:
Believe me, we've seen about 28 topics just like this before for every new game. They never work.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #4
My wish is that it not be made.
Apprentice
Member # 5323
Profile Homepage #5
My wish is having a real animating characters (like geneforge) and play as different kind of people (like vahnatai) .
And let player choose side like nethergate .
Or let player join any side like geneforge .
That would be great .

(And little hand drawn picture like in geneforge would be great.)

--------------------
The safest place when tornado strikes is the MIDDLE of the tornado itself .
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by The assassin whose named 'Gao':

My wish is having a real animating characters (like geneforge) and play as different kind of people (like vahnatai) .
And let player choose side like nethergate .
Or let player join any side like geneforge .
That would be great .

(And little hand drawn picture like in geneforge would be great.)

Your moniker makes the grammar angels weep.

Read about "whose" here.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to Spiderweb. Leave your sanity at the door.

[ Wednesday, December 29, 2004 05:58: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

Your moniker makes the grammar angels weep.

Read about "whose" here.

Indeed. Colloquial English would leave off the "who's" entirely, anyway.

Back on topic, I'd like a new skill/spell system to play with. Or at least a few new skills and spells. An epic nearly on the scale of The Elder Scrolls (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind), bigger than Avernum 3. But that probably won't happen :)

And I hope that A4 sticks with the Ultima-like engine of the Exiles and Avernums, and does not adopt a Geneforge-like engine.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #8
I'm sure we're going to have more new skills and spells. It's happened in the sequel of every game, hasn't it? Otherwise the game would be boring.

I wish Jeff would make the plot waaay in the future of avernum or the empire. It doesn't matter to me. Then there'll be a war. That would be the conclusion to this series.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #9
The thing is, we don't want him to just replace the two spells people like the least with two new spells and make minor modifications to 2 others. That is what happened in A1-2-3-BoA.

We want the total number of spells doubled (at least) with the number and variety being closer to that of the exiles.

SUPER-IMPORTANT-MUST-HAVE: Unlock doors actually unlocks doors! If this is the only change to spells that we get, it would still be a very good one.

[ Thursday, December 30, 2004 07:18: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
So now you've become the spokesperson for everyone.

I'm not sure what doubling the number of spells would do other than making the menu more complicated which is bad from an interface standpoint. It's easy to say that you want the spells doubled, but providing effective, balanced, non-repetative, and meaningful spells is another story. For simplicity, I would prefer to have useful spells over wading through tons of non useful ones.

More useful spells would be nice.

I don't know what your beef is with the unlock doors. In BoA, you can just go in and change the scripts if you want. Avernum 4 will be a new engine, so we will have to wait and see what will come out of it.

Personally, here are my wises:

* An immersive plot that is more than get some guy to tell you to (insert quest here) saving many lives and you receive (insert reward here), followed by another (insert more difficult quest here) with increasing importance for (insert better reward here), and so on.
* Characters that are actually more than 2D personality cut-outs.
* Non repetative and challenging combat. Less battle of attrition and more tactical cleverness.
* Less "oh no! monsters are everywhere!" or "oh my! this passage is heavly trapped!" dungeons.
* Something new and creative. No new monster plagues.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5254
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by The assassin whose named 'Gao':

My wish is having a real animating characters (like geneforge)
it's not real avernum if animated characters, in avernum 4, i wish i don't see any vahnatais etc. in my party. that idea sucks

--------------------
oh
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #12
This topic didn't have a great purpose from the beginning, but the I think it is still worth posting in after 10+ days.

I think those suggestions are very reasonable, and I don't think Jeff would have any real problems implementing them. But I wouldn't want to have the semi-real-time engine of Geneforge. There is a reason why the two series are seperate, and there is more to that difference than just plot.

More "creation" skills like alchemy and bare handed combat would be nice. A larger number of meaningful spells, conditions, and special abilities would definitely attract more people to his games. I know that a lot of people are disappointed by a single small screen for spells.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Apprentice
Member # 5474
Profile #13
it would be great to have characters that are not essentially the same person .. in the sense that though there are four characters with different strengths and weaknesses, they act as one. this is not actually realsitic. in any team there are arguments and so on. so if we can have a team comprising a vahnatai, a slith, a nephil, and a human, it would be great if there are discussions and arguments amongst them. and if we are allowed to side up ith any of the four. a truly great idea would be to create a grey world, where there is nothing right or wrong, and there are four endings to the game, and you get the ending according to your choice. cool; wouldnt it be?
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #14
This topic is old...let it die.

--------------------