Suggestions for Geneforge 3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Suggestions for Geneforge 3
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #25
Go play Doom III, you vulgarian buffoon.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #26
You say that like it's a punishment.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Walker, Texas Corpse:

Go play Doom III, you vulgarian buffoon.
Already did. Great game.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
For the most part, I basically play only 2 genres of game: 2D platformers and RPGs. I expect very, very different things from each genre. When I'm not in the mood to read a lot of text, I play a platformer. When I'm not in the mood for real-time combat, I play an RPG.

As far as I'm concerned, the RPG genre just doesn't do dungeon slogs in a very interesting way, and so they shouldn't be the main attraction. A reasonable amount of well-balanced tactical combat is one thing; plowing through hundreds of identical enemies in a way that tests only patience rather than skill is quite another, and one I can do without.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #29
Interesting.

I only play two genres as well, FPSs (first-person-shooters) and RPGs. So obviously, shooters with RPG elements (character interaction, stats-driven gameplay) rock my world. No One Lives Forever 2 comes to mind...

I like my shooters to be bright and inventive, though I've never turned down a Quake or Doom. It should be noted I don't mean ONLY first-person... third person shooters/hack&slashes/action are also loved.

I like my RPGs to have lots of character development, both in how I can customize my PC, and how the NPCs evolve. Greatest example in mind? KoToR. Even though it suffers from console-itus, and you can't customize your look very much (or species!), it does the job well. Exile worked my imagination so well those many years ago, so it deserves praise for hooking me on RPGs.

Otherwise, I've played RT/TB-Ss, 'sims, and sports games... but I still love my RPGs and shooters.

Wow, that was off topic.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
I used to play FPSes, a long time ago, but I'm very left-brained; I suck at spatial reasoning and I'm not very good at multitasking. When technology improved and suddenly FPSes had you looking up, down and sideways while running through mazes in three dimensions, I basically gave up on the genre.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #31
[i need to get some sleep ^^]

[ Wednesday, November 24, 2004 06:46: Message edited by: Moi, olen Mieshuora. ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #32
Ugh. I'm not a big fan of FPS's. I used to be when I was littler, but now its boring. Theres no strategy involved, unlike RPG's. Oh Btw, I played doom 3 too. It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #33
quote:
I would argue that for over three-fourths of the designers with a work above 8.0 on the CSR, Jeff is a storywriting imp. His stories have always been total crap, with the one exception of Small Rebellion. (And even that has taken a turn for the worse in BoA.)
In my humble opinion, the storyline of both the Avernum and Geneforge series are excellent, to say the very least.

The story of Geneforge is also of great philosophical value.
The deranging side-effects of the Skill Canisters learn that power is maddening; It is the empowering effect of those canisters, not the magical augmentation itself, which poisons the mind.

[ Wednesday, November 24, 2004 07:56: Message edited by: Mind ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #34
Geneforge had potential precisely because of what Mind points out, which is that issues were present in the game that could have been explored. It fails, plot-wise, insofar as it does not explore them.

Okay, fine: power makes one mad. But Geneforge doesn't explore the complexity of the issue. Rather than forcing me into an uncomfortable choice of some kind — Shanti is attacked; use a canister to gain the power to overcome the enemy or she dies — Geneforge presents no difficulties. GF2 is easy to handle without canisters at all. So if I choose not to use them, I have a slight power disadvantage, but no matter; I'm still strong enough to kill the Taker drakons. It's not a difficult decision. It doesn't make me weigh the merits of both sides of the issue.

On another note, I basically play RPGs and strategy games. I loathe FPSes. And I play RPGs largely for the gameplay, which is why I'm a customer here.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Dres [b:
Redoran[/b]]
I like my RPGs to have lots of character development, both in how I can customize my PC, and how the NPCs evolve. Greatest example in mind? KoToR.

Agreed!

As fot TM, I could disagree. If you could make better games than those from scratch, ill compliment you on that. If you can't, well... :)

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #36
Wait- since when did I argue that BoE designers are better coders? (Although admittedly, some probably could be with a bit more effort...) I said that BoE designers are better storytellers- and we are. (And make no mistake, we also can make better gameplay than Jeff has, but I wasn't insinuating that before, just that I am now.)

In fact, I'd make a fair wager that calling a person a worse designer than Jeff is the best way to effectively spit venom into their eyes.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #37
Ohhhh ok. Thanks for clearing that problem up. I agree, there are many many scenarios which I think are better than Jeff's stories as well. :) Don't get me wrong though. He puts alot of time into these games, so don't diss the @@@@ out of him. :P

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #38
Jeff has repeatedly admitted to having to sell to the lowest common denominator- I'm not saying that he can't make of a good storyline, ASR is evidence of that. It's just that for his commercial games, he hasn't.

I'm not sure if "everyone dislikes good stories" is a valid argument, but I don't have the evidence to disclaim it.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #39
I think it could be more a matter of his not knowing whether better stories sell or not either. Considering the amount of effort that goes into each game, risking poor sales probably isn't a feasible option.

On the other hand, I can't imagine that lack of a plot sells better than a plot.

—Alorael, who plays RPGs and occasional strategy games. Oh, and Angband, which is hack and slash for people who neither point nor click.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #40
I find it hard to actually follow a plot in a game. It just takes a really long time and I really don't have a lot of it. I can play a BoE scenario, but I haven't really tackled anything big.

But yes, BoE designers are definately better in storytelling. If you look at some scenarios, they make gameplay much better, considering the tools that the BoE editor gives. Like a day and night sequence, or the ablity to read books in TM's Bandits 2.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #41
Point of clarification- Creator was the one who made Reading Books.

(I made the Quest List, Andres did NPCs, and Stareye did Special Spells. FYI)

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #42
You *can* still read books in B2, though. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!