Tell me if you like programming. . .

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Tell me if you like programming. . .
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Tbg10101:

I dunno, I think that REALBasic is easier. You can make apps just as powerful in RB as in Obj. C. . .
Is Objective-C cross-platform? Never messed with it or even looked it up--I just know Khothie likes it.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #51
I have "programmed" (hehe) with C++ and Java. I even passed a basic programming course as a Computer Science student in my university, once. But I can't really program. (Though that was a Java language programming course, not Basic :) )

Besides, the high and increasing unemployment among programmers in this country doesn't motivate me to learn. And the fact that I have an OS9 Mac. Now I study other things such as Sociology at the same university.

BoA is interesting, though

[ Wednesday, November 24, 2004 17:12: Message edited by: Milu ]
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #52
I want to try programming, but its all confusing. Can anyone give me tips on where to start??? :confused:

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #53
Read some of the posts before this page. There are some suggested readings/tutorials.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #54
Obj-C as done on Macs is not really cross-platform, although a fair bit would probably work on NeXT, and GNUStep may be useful.

You can do things in Obj-C that automatically take advantage of OS functions like spellchecking and so forth much easier than in any other langage, although RB is probably easier to use in general.

Cocoa uses a slightly different method for linking functions to buttons in a GUI than the Basic-like things I've seen. Instead of the button calling its onClick or whatever when you press it, you have a controller object that generally handles all the UI elements in the window. It takes a little getting used to, but it encourages some more interface/logic separation.

[ Thursday, November 25, 2004 12:09: Message edited by: Some Idiot Will Call Me SIWCMS ]

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #55
REALBasic is coss platform (Mac, Windows, and Linux)

There is also a converter for turning VB into RB.

Windows RB Stuff: Here1
Mac RB Stuff: Here2

There you will find a useful RB tutorial and example files.

Here is a book about programming for OS X: Here3

This is the list of programming languages that I used in the poll, plus all of the ones that I couldn't fit (there are links to the individual languages on the page): Here4

Does this help?

[ Thursday, November 25, 2004 12:37: Message edited by: Tbg10101 ]

--------------------
Hi. Why is the universe so BIG? Why am I human? How come hot dogs come in packages of 10 and buns 8? This will all be solved in time young padawan. Your quest for the ultimate Aztec manuer is coming to a climax. May the force be with you!!!
······························································
This is where I want you to click! Rate me! Ha Ha
Check out my GF 1, 2 and 3 Helper!
Ceck out some cool Mac OS X Apps that were made by me here!
10101 Software - You can take my iMac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the wireless mouse!
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #56
The main problem with RB is that it's saddled with a big, nasty, statically-linked runtime.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by Walker, Texas Corpse:

The main problem with RB is that it's saddled with a big, nasty, statically-linked runtime.
Pretty much. If you can get over that, it's awfully slick.

Its built-in game controls average 10fps faster than my C++ DirectX engine (granted, this computer sucks greatly), too. It's not at all bad, at least for PC users.
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #58
It seems RB has some OO features, but I can't tell. Does it do duck typing? Polymorphism?

In addition, how are its structures? Does it have a 'foreach' style iterative loop? Does it have iterators or generators, for that matter? Closures? Does it do generics?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by -08:
I want to try programming, but its all confusing. Can anyone give me tips on where to start???
Heh, just do a Google search and type whatever language you want to learn and then "tutorial." It worked for me.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #60
quote:

It seems RB has some OO features, but I can't tell. Does it do duck typing? Polymorphism?

In addition, how are its structures? Does it have a 'foreach' style iterative loop? Does it have iterators or generators, for that matter? Closures? Does it do generics?

I'm not sure what a lot of those things mean, but I know it doesn't have polymorphism; every object's class is declared statically.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #61
OO without polymorphism is like sex without testicles. Sure it's possible, but why bother?
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by wz. arsenic:

quote:

I'm not sure what a lot of those things mean, but I know it doesn't have polymorphism; every object's class is declared statically.

No polymorphism, but you can base classes off other classes (slightly more overhead, which kinda sucks, but it's mostly academic).

It has a FOREACH iterative loop. I'm not sure what you mean by generators, closures, or generics (and I'm sure that if I Google them, which I prob'ly will if I see this thread tomorrow, I'm gonna smack myself in the forehead for not knowing).

I'd recommend you fiddle with it a bit. It's worth at least a look.
Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #63
Does anyone here make plugis for RB? I need them. Sure I have over 2000 but I want more!

--------------------
Hi. Why is the universe so BIG? Why am I human? How come hot dogs come in packages of 10 and buns 8? This will all be solved in time young padawan. Your quest for the ultimate Aztec manuer is coming to a climax. May the force be with you!!!
10101 Software - You can take my iMac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the wireless mouse!
Warrior
Member # 2627
Profile Homepage #64
I learnt to program in BBC BASIC when i was 11. Go me! I'm doing a Java programming module as part of my university course, so i can program in Java to some extent.

--------------------
formally Brenitt-Ihrno

I'm a very irregular poster, don't mind me.

Join me, people

NFC FOREVER!!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #65
quote:

OO without polymorphism is like sex without testicles. Sure it's possible, but why bother?
1) REALbasic 6 is supposed to have polymorphism.

2) There is a sort of polymorphism included, but it's a little annoying to do. You create the class, and then make functions/subs/variables using the EXTENDS keyword, which adds the function/sub/variable to a specified instance of a class.
Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #66
BBC BASIC?
Never heard of it. :(
Does it have anything to do with the Brittish Broadcasting Corparation? :confused:

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #67
Does anyone know UBB Code? That's what this forum is . . .

Sorry I diddn't put it on the poll. :(

[ Saturday, November 27, 2004 13:08: Message edited by: Tbg10101 ]

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #68
Dude, just because it says 'code' doesn't mean you can 'program' in it. By necessity, a programming language handles booleans; a formatting language doesn't, and UBBcode is a formatting language.

Half of the languages on this poll are defunct, and quite a few important ones are missing. I'm curious as to what you're high on.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally written by Fear Uncertainty and Custer:

Dude, just because it says 'code' doesn't mean you can 'program' in it. By necessity, a programming language handles booleans; a formatting language doesn't, and UBBcode is a formatting language.

Half of the languages on this poll are defunct, and quite a few important ones are missing. I'm curious as to what you're high on.

I want some of it.
Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #70
Sniff ... Sniff Hra! *HickUP* Itsh vrey spimple too tell. . . Ha Ha . . . wat I er hgih on he he ... *#%$&* ...

Ok not really but anyway ... Sorry :(

--------------------

Pages