Vahnatai

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Vahnatai
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #0
Ahem-
It has recently come to my attention that people are misspelling this word in ridiculous amounts. Examples are here here and here
for just a few of the incidents over the last few days- not to mention all the times that it has happened it the past
Not that it is a serious problem but perhaps people will read this and become more conscious of their spelling of the word.
You may now continue your daily lives.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #1
jEEz vanati sUrE aRE nEETo!

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #2
Ok-so smite us Oh Almighty M!!! Our saviour!!! He can spell Vhanhaitiaia!!!!
Big deal, spelling errors on an alien race.
You may commence with your daily lives.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #3
The issue is I couldn't
you may stop your life and wait at my pleasure.
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #4
I really hope I'm not gonna have to tell Kelandon about this...

VAH-NA-TAI

--------------------
I love stupid people acting smart...
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #5
I don't understand why yu think peepul spell Vanatye rong. Almost evrione on teh bords spels Vantia wright!

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #6
um like yeah i agrees with bobo. why doestist the folks on spederwebbbb speeeelllll vantathiahdihahiah wrong? like der, everybodie can like speeelll it and stuffff...

I give this post until tomorrow until Alorael or Imban lock it. Which will it be...? The race is on...

[ Thursday, October 21, 2004 17:11: Message edited by: Doctor Mezzulah ]

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I'm the first to arrive on the scene, I guess. The spelling is less of an issue than capitalization. Are they Vahnatai or vahnatai? I believe the games follow the latter as a rule, but that's the point of contention among those who have mastered the specific letters.

—Alorael, who would also like to point out that the word is pronounced vah-nah-teye or vah-nah-teye, where eye sounds just like the thing you see with. If you pronounce the word any other way, you are obviously a subversive.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #8
I think it would be capitalized Alorael. You are talking about a specific race, a group. Or maybe not. You don't capitalize "cats" do you? But on the other hand, you capitalize "American" and "Canadian." Hmmm.... the plot thickens...

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #9
Any spelling mistakes from here to the end of this post are not intentional.

Surprise, you are NOT the first person to notice this. Since the very first hint of the Vahnatai race in Exile 2 (?), people have been spelling it wrong. People who tend to lazily read while letting the brain make assumptions about words will constantly place nonexistant letters into the word to make it seem better in their mind.

This point reoccurs so much that most people do not even take the energy to correct someone on their first few times typing the race's name.

Skimming can errors like: develope, Slitherizkai, pharicee, chammois, mispell, aknowledge, backround (rare; usually just a typo) and analyzation.

As long as you don't make a scenario with Vahnatai consistently spelled wrong, I think we can all accept you and your special spellings.

[ Thursday, October 21, 2004 17:42: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
American and Canadian are capitalized because they are inflected forms of proper nouns. We write human, no capital H, because it's a species, not a proper noun. The same goes for nephilim, slithzerikai, vahnatai, and troglodytes.

Yes, fantasy has strange conventions on that, but Jeff Vogel sticks with lowercase. I'd say he's the authority on the matter.

—Alorael, who has more trouble with deciding whether or not to capitalize skills and spells. He usually calls them Fireblast and Dexterity, with big, imposing capital letters, but not always. Yes, it's true! He's another flip-flopper!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #11
*Gasp* no, Alorael a flip-flopper...? What is this world coming to?!?!? :P

Thank you for pointing that out for me Mr.Alorael. I would not have been able to sleep tonight if you had not answered that question. You yourself can feel good that a young lad now can count sheep in peace tonight.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #12
Now that I think about it, species names are never capitalized! I believe spells should be capitalized all the time, while skills that refer to the game skills specifically should be capitalized. That is just game convention; manuals and the like emphasize that the thing they are talking about is in the game, and therefore should be special and important.

But I think it would be funny to see someone capitalize whenever he uses attribute names in his writing.

"I am very Tall. I'd say I'm fairly Strong, but not too Intelligent. Would you like to roll the dice for 10 points of Luck????"

Heh.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
To the best of my knowledge, JV always capitalizes the word "Vahnatai." But I never do, because it seems incorrect, as it is a species name. The skill names, though, I have no moral qualms about capitalizing.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #14
Whenever there is more than one sapient species, they become nationalistically proper. That is why you will hear about human beings but, upon entering sci-fi, immediately stumble across Human ships.

In other words, if there's more than one genetic group who have a. fire and b. sex for the right reasons, you capitalize them as if they are a country or a person. Only one? Don't bother.
And there's never any such thing as a Goat tool, unless Goat is a nickname or goats have suddenly become sapient or something.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #15
I don't think so, Alec. Generally, that applies when the races are monocultural. Most fantasy refers to humans, elves, orcs, and dwarves, not Humans, Elves, Orcs, and Dwarves.

However, I think we have unsufficient information as to what the aliens should be called. Specifically, it's never made wholly clear whether they have a single culture, or whether there are multiple nations of the creatures.

In either case, though, it's probably safe to refer to the Vahnatai nation that consists of the vahnatai the party meets in Exile 2. I think the distinction is subtle but important.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
If there is any distinction made in capitalization of races, it's usually humans that get the raw deal. Being 'mundane' and all that, everyone is used to lower-case humans. Whereas Slithzerikai (my favorite spelling for a long while was Slitherikzai, by the way, which is neater to pronounce), Nephilim, Vahnatai, Troglodytes, Giants and Dragons (and Elves and Dwarves in other fantasy settings btw), have 'novelty' value and are capitalized - along with many other names that have been invented by the author rather than being real world terms.

I'd prefer a consistent capitalization of Human myself (try typing vahnatai or nephilim lower-case; it goes against the very instinct), but the distinction appears to come naturally, with the in-built instinctive 'capitalization-izer'.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
(EDIT: With regard to the two posts prior to Aran's.)

No, not at all. We know there are many clans of vahnatai. The vahnatai are not one unified nation (as Americans or Candians) but are a species. Their language could be called Vahnatai, assuming that it is one unified tongue, but the species properly would not be.

And Rentar-Ihrno's vahnatai are just that: Rentar-Ihrno's vahnatai. They seem not to have a clan name, so the best description may well be the apparent political leader's name.

Moreover, I think the capitalization of species names in sci-fi comes from the fact that most often, those species groups constitute a nation. When there is a nation of Humans and of Buggers, both get capitalized. If a civil war starts among the humans, though, the humans get de-capitalized and they become, say, Unionists, Secessionists, and Buggers. If the buggers then have a civil war, one might find Unionists, Secessionists, Blue Flaggers, and Red Flaggers. The Blue Flaggers would be buggers, not Buggers.

Uh, so at the end of that incoherent ramble, I think it should be "vahnatai," not "Vahnatai."

[ Thursday, October 21, 2004 19:53: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #18
Wow, this seems to be the only Thing, which is more easy in the German Language.
We capitalize all Nouns. So there wouldn't be a Discussion on this.
Vahnatai is a Noun, so it has to be capitalized.
That's the Rule in Germany.

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
We could also do it in the spanish fashion, where words are not capitalized in the middle of a sentence unless they are names. Someone living in America is american and probably speaks english. The vahnatai in Olgai may be olgans (olgas?), but they speak vahnatai.

—Alorael, who agrees with Kelandon except on Jeff's capitalization. Where does he insist that vahnatai is a proper word? It shows up in lowercase quite often.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #20
While we are at it, what is Vahnatai language called? "Vahnatainese?" or "vahnatain?"

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #21
Probably neither, just 'vahnatai'. That would sound right. "Rentar Ihrno speaks vahnatai."

I think vahnatai shouldn't be capitalized also. If you wanted a proper name, you'd say that character's name.

Also, sometimes my impulse is to pronouce it vah-nat-ee. Weird, but that's how it goes with me.

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 11:57: Message edited by: 4614 and 4808 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #22
I do not believe that either of those would be correct. I believe that for humans referring to the Vahnatai language, it would be just that "Vahnatai Language". With or without the "Language" it would be refered to as Vahnatai. As in referring to something that is "Vahnatai-like" in it's manner...

--------------------
I love stupid people acting smart...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
Drakey calls the Vahnatai language Novah, but that's not canonical.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #24
I think it depends on how you're looking at them. The race, for instance, would be vahnatai, just like humans are humans. But it makes much more sense to be attacked by a Vahnatai warrior than by a vahnatai warrior. A fort would probably belong to the Vahnatai, but an architectural design would have vahnatai influences. I don't think there is such a thing as a ground rule for this.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.

Pages