Work Experience

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Work Experience
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #0
Well, anyway, I'm starting my work experience next week (hopefully not going to be too bad). It's at the Houses of Parliament. w00t!

Have any of you done/is going to do work experience? If so, what was it/is it likely to be like? Do share...

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #1
A word of advice: get a job you aren't going to quit within a week. I think that if you hate your job, it's not always worth doing, at least in our younger years where we don't really have to work.

As for myself, I have worked in a textile manufacturing plant for many years now, my first paying job there was when I was around nine. I would do random jobs around the business like paperwork, computer work, and later working out in the plant and being put on payroll.
Now I work in the inspection department, rolling and re-rolling rolls of industrial and commercial fabrics, not apparel or decorating fabrics you see in stores. We do stuff like flags, banners, non-skid material you put under carpets, the bright orange and yellow safety jacket mesh material, stuff like that. But it pays pretty well and I like it. I usually work on the weekends and sometimes after school, but not lately because of sports and such...

--------------------
And that, my Leige, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped. -Sir Bedevere

Denn du bist was du isst
und ihr wisst was es ist.
-Rammstein
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Um, Appie, work experience is a program designed to give people, well, experience in the workforce. The whole point is that you only work there for a couple of weeks to see if you like it. In exchange for a truly paltry payment, the employers get someone to fetch their coffee for two weeks. :P

I was lucky enough to get a work experience placement a few years ago at a research hospital studying muscular dystrophy (well, it wasn't luck so much as family connections, but it amounts to the same thing). I've always had an interest in biology, so I rather enjoyed my time there. However, since I have a remarkable facility for screwing up when it comes to actually performing experiments, it's not entirely unlikely that I'll end up being some sort of educator.

[ Wednesday, October 20, 2004 00:46: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #3
I did one for a month in July this year, at a charity. Interesting, but it got pretty boring after a couple of days - I was translating between English and German. Wouldn't have been too bad if it hadn't been the sort of English they speak in India (which is English in vocabulary only, not in grammar).

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #4
My school work experience program was on last june for me, and i had a pretty good time of it. After the difficulty of tyring to find a theatre i gave in to going to the sbs media building. I was in radio and got to set up my own little report and review on a portuguese song and then play it live on the show. It was good times, but not something i'd want as a career.

Work experience i've learned is a bit of a mixed bag. It could surprise you, but you seem pretty happy about where you're going. You'll be fine :D

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #5
A friend of mine did some translating between English and German recently and found out that his bilingual skills, his keen interest in language as such, and the great joy he experiences in writing fiction just does not match up with the work environment as a translator.
Just imagine, if he had studied for years dreaming to translate Bill Bryson if not Shakespeare only to end up translating sauna installation manuals from chinese english (Schnappen den Poppen aber nicht heben den Faulknödel sonst tödlich) ... it would have cost him dearly - probably a year of depression.
Sometimes the dullness of the "dream job" is a very valuable experience - although it is very rarely admitted.

[ Wednesday, October 20, 2004 05:03: Message edited by: No 2 Methylphenidate ]
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #6
But perhaps said friend just found out that there are different kinds of translating? I really enjoy translating prose (as he, apparently), but those Chinese or Finnish sauna manuals don't sound attractive to me at all.
I guess translation will stay more of a hobby for me. ;)

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by FatBatMonkey:

Well, anyway, I'm starting my work experience next week (hopefully not going to be too bad). It's at the Houses of Parliament. w00t!

What will you do then at the HoP? Which kind of work?

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
He'll probably be a lackey.

Interns in the U.S. Congress don't do much other than dress really nice, answer constituent mail, occasionally lead tours of the offices, run for coffee, flirt with one another, try to look like they're serious and paying attention when they attend committee hearings, and party hard in the evenings on mom and dad's dime.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #9
To be perfectly honest, I don't rightly know. Nor am I likely to find out until I start. I imagine that dressing smartly and coffee are most certainly going to be involved.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #10
:) so we hardly can wait for your first report from front line.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #11
Yeah-
National Vegitarian Fest or something like that today-
Maybe you will get to serve veggie burgers along with the coffee. ;)

[ Wednesday, October 20, 2004 14:19: Message edited by: m's devotee ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
Is "work experience" kind of like an internship? This phrase seems decidedly un-American.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
Sort of, but they tend to be much shorter in duration, require less skill, and take place in mid/late secondary school (year 10, usually; around the age of 15 or 16). Basically you get a brief look at what goes on in the place you're posted at and get to do the sort of work they trained chimpanzees to do before that became illegal; fetching, filing, proofreading, etc.

[ Wednesday, October 20, 2004 20:56: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #14
We call it "Schnupperlehre" (snoop-apprenticeship). It's for one week and you can stay afterwards as apprentice, if you like the work and they like you. And the chimpanzees-status depends from the place ^_^

edit: -_- wrong facts, I mixed something ...

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 01:38: Message edited by: spy.there ]

--------------------
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #15
My work experience was terrible. I somehow allowed my father to convince me it made more sense for me to do my work experience at the company he worked at rather than go through the procedure of applying for various work experience postings. I got there and the area I was in wasn't really expecting me and didn't have anything for me to do, so I spent two weeks filing. I did find a £150m error in their finances, but nothing else remotely notable happened.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #16
So this work experience is something like you're placed in a job based on your studies or interests, for a limited period of time? Sounds cool, If this is the case, I'd do as many different jobs as I could, not just pick the 'better' sounding jobs. it's always nice to see how everyone else spends their day.
If you're talking about actual work experience, I've done a lot, starting out in a hardware store and restaurants, then moving on to several different trades, including roofing, plumbing, carpentry, and finally deciding on electrical for about 13 years until I got put on a sort of investigation team, investigating when people got hurt, I was also injured. I'm not sure if it was seeing people make the mistakes and get hurt or killed, that people made that I got away with (luckily), or the injury, but I swapped careers and am now employed with the US Postal service.
The mailman works harder than I ever imagined. I always thought he just kind of drove around in his little jeep and put mail in boxes...

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #17
I did a week's work experience at the local newspaper. The work was pretty boring (I like writing, but newspaper stuff isn't exactly creative), but the environment itself was extremely disorienting.

There is a front office where people come in, ask questions, blah, blah, blah. Then there's a door to the offices where the work goes on.

This door has a fancy combination lock on it. They wouldn't give me the combination, for security reasons. Instead, someone else punched in the code for me.

I memorized the combination, because I could. I still remember it.

(You'd think, if they didn't want me to have a code, they'd at least make some effort to stop me from seeing them enter it. Like, checking to see if I was looking.)

I asked someone what the lock was for. He gave me a funny look and said it was in case someone tried to break in. Which is all quite sensible, except the door was made of glass. And even if it wasn't, you could get into the back area easily by climbing over the front desk.

So, it would stop any criminal who was too polite to break glass or climb on the furniture. Basically, it was doing nothing that a "Staff Only" sign wouldn't. I'm inclined to think that it was just there to look flashy.

Anyway, it says a lot about that week that the most interesting part was the door.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #18
WOOOOOOO!

This is FUN. Yes, I did do a heck of alot of clerical work. BUT, I got a guided tour of "Westminster Palace" (the proper name for the Houses of Parliament). I also get to sit in on question times and debates. They're also going to try and get me in on a debate. I can never tell where I'm going because all the corridors in the building look the same.

Did I mention that this is REALLY REALLY FUN?!?!!oneone!!?oneandthreequarters!!

Yeah, I did, didn't I?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
I am trying very hard not to picture you in a debate, but I fail. I see you're having fun though, and I'm sure you're getting some experience as well, and that's what matters, eh? :)

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Apprentice
Member # 4847
Profile #20
Thuryl
quote:
However, since I have a remarkable facility for screwing up when it comes to actually performing experiments, it's not entirely unlikely that I'll end up being some sort of educator.

Certainly hope this is just a joke of sorts. There are too many failed wanna-be scientists/writers populating the educational systems as it is. Spend some time actually working at a real job, accomplishing 'something', and then go teach youngsters. Adds credibility, and maybe a little perspective on what's important.

--------------------
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #21
I doubt that there are many Australian Secret Projects out there, and fewer failed ones- well unless we all are the result of some Australian experiment, but I truly hope that that is not the case, as it would lower my opinion of them. Heh-Heh

FBM I suppose that it is good your having fun- Is this going to make you want to become a politician? That might be weird to have too many of those on these boards.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
Well, I've always hated children, so education just seems like a natural career choice for me.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #23
This has been a damn fun week. I'm tired (slept for the most of the day, but I still need sleep, so sorry if I'm not entirely coherrent (yeah, like I am anyway)) and my legs still hurt from running about left, right and centre (not to mention the cramped seating in the gallery), but I had a heck of alot of fun and I learnt a frag of alot.

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do after uni. While, with any luck, I'll be qualified to do alot of stuff and there would be more than a few people happy to employ me, I still can't decide exactly what to do. I'd like to go into the City, working on the floors at LSEX and all that, but it's not exactly the easiest thing to get into.

Generally, people working there retire after ten years, otherwise they get really burned out, so I suppose I could really start to go into major politics after that.

One day I'll have to decide, but I'm quite happy right now to weigh up my options.

--------------------