Pied Piper Project 2 - The Boards Strike Back

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Pied Piper Project 2 - The Boards Strike Back
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #125
I'll bet on Aran and his sucking skills.

EDIT: I won't worry, I have faith in him. He'll do just fine.. Great sucker, him.

.. I mean, so I've heard.

[ Sunday, August 15, 2004 12:25: Message edited by: Nobody's friend ]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #126
I'm afraid I can only give you odds of 9 to 6 on Aran. And he only counts if he finishes the entiriety of all the things he's getting because he's probably already sucked it.

EDIT: Nice save Riibu(!) ;):D:D

[ Sunday, August 15, 2004 12:27: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #127
GC? You should have made that bet about half a day ago. :P That's the time I finished it.

Oh, and BoE, Exile Trilogy and all of General join the ranks of my mirrored boards (I had some trouble with General, and a few things might have slipped through, but I saved most of General manually anyway, that being my favourite forum. :D )

I'll go to bed now, and it might be that Jeff (or Mariann, probably) makes the next purge before I'm back. If the next thing deleted is BoE or GC or the trilogies, it's all right. If it's a Geneforge, tough. But the Geneforge 1/2 boards aren't all that great anyway; iirc mostly newbies asking for hints and walkthroughs. Good night, anyway. Or good afternoon/evening for you guys in the states, and good morning to anyone east of Europe. :)

[ Sunday, August 15, 2004 13:08: Message edited by: Aran ]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #128
Nonono. Aran. You only win when you get them all. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair on the other two would it? Nor would I be a fair bookie.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #129
I believe tonight they will clear the AT. Well, yesterday, since it's past midnight over here.

So, goodnight everyone.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #130
'Night.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #131
It looks like the PPP2 is complete (and believe it or not, even I helped, be it only 6 pages manually), so now we need someone with webspace to host all this. I know, FBM should be posting this, but
quote:
'Night

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #132
All? No fair!

Well, okay, I got most of it already. Avernum Trilogy, Exile Trilogy, BoE, General and both Geneforges.

Ironically, I had to redo Galactic Core because there was an error (it didn't save all of the threads). Only Nethergate and SubTerra remain unsaved, and those'll be next on my list.

I'm done. :) When this got announced, I never thought I'd end up with the entire Spiderweb Forum (apart from BoA and Tech) on my hard drive, but that's what has happened. I did General and BoE manually because frankly I find those the most important two of the ones that are to be deleted, and I don't blindly trust my spider.

Next thing is to find a webspace that offers me around 500 Megs cheaply. :P

[ Monday, August 16, 2004 03:22: Message edited by: Aran ]
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #133
Tell me, what is the point of this project again? Is anyone going to actually read this archive? Topics die for a reason you know.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #134
Not all topics that have grown old 'die'. Some are 'finished'. It rarely happens, but there are cases.

Of course, for such a thing to occur, the thread must have had a purpose in the first place. I would call this thread 'finished' now, since we have discussed everything necessary, and it's all done now. Maybe the hosting should still be organized here, but then it's done. It's fulfilled its purpose.

When a roleplay or a discussion comes to a conclusion, that does not make the thread worthless. To the contrary. Yet, these threads sink to the bottom of the forum, and 'die'. I'll sure still read some of them.

Why did we save everything, and not just the worthwhile stuff? Because we had two days to go, and it's not really easy to sort out the trash in that time. Now that we have it all, we can sort out what we don't need.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #135
That still doesn't answer Arctic's question. Even if we assume that a few threads deserve to be saved, nobody can realistically claim that everthing posted here has value. Have you seen Alorael's post count?
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #136
To answer Artic's question:

The point was to save the files that are going to be deleted.

The reason is that whether considered important or not, each topic is part of Spiderweb's heritage. Each and every post.

Sure, some may not seem important to you or even most of the board members, but everywhere you look is someones' first post, a memorable argument, someone not understanding something and making a fool of themself, anything...

Or for those who still claim that it was stupid, two words: Galatic Core. Satisfied?

We saved a total of 176 pages. That's roughly 4500 individual pages. Each as important as the next.

Well, anyway it is done. I have assigned credit on the header post in contribution order. And as Aran said, now it is a matter of finding webspace.
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #137
Imagine someone doing this to one of the forums that have appeared on SA's weekend web. I guess one might call this project a minor evil compared to that monster of an idea.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #138
Oh yes, Riibu wins the bet, not only because she was the only one to bet, but actually managed to guess the winner.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #139
Oo, yes. Cookies for the winner! :P
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #140
quote:
Or for those who still claim that it was stupid, two words: Galatic Core. Satisfied?
I don't think that supports your argument. It was enjoyable but several months of slightly irritating Alorael isn't a notable achievement.

[quote]We saved a total of 176 pages. That's roughly 4500 individual pages. Each as important as the next.[/quote]They weren't all that bad.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #141
quote:
Originally written by Arctic's anonymous:

Imagine someone doing this to one of the forums that have appeared on SA's weekend web. I guess one might call this project a minor evil compared to that monster of an idea.
See, and you think this was a senseless undertaking? Compared to that stuff, the Spiderweb Forums contain the purest wisdom of the Ancients. :rolleyes:
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #142
I read old topics because I want to get a feel for where the community has been and how it has evolved over time. Some people have been around for a significant amount of time and talk about the past, and I like to know what they're talking about. If someone mentions Lone Flame, I want to be able to go back and read LF's posts myself and see what he said and did. Same thing if someone mentions Scorpius. Shaper Master. The reason for Zephyr's Canning. And so on.

I read old threads at the Lyceum going back to 2001, and I lament that such records do not exist here. I even wish that the Lyceum's records went back farther, so I could see what Al was like back in his heyday of '99-'00.

Some of these boards are pretty useless for that sort of thing. Nethergate, for instance, tells very little. I basically read the whole thing as I was archiving it, and I learned next to nothing about community history or personality. But General is fabulous for that sort of thing, and so is BoE. RW (the old GC), provides some of that, too, in its own way.

And that's why I would want all of this stuf to be archived.
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #143
Short announcement - The first part of the PPP2 Archive is UP. Only for testing purposes currently, and not by far a nice page design, I basically just mass-uploaded the BoE mirror to my 0catch webspace (the thing allows me 100s of MB, but only about 500 k per file, so it's excellent for this sort of thing where I have thousands of tiny files to store).

BoE Archive

Ignore the popups, please. I'll try to find a better solution later. This is only a test.

Oh, and for this and further mirrors: Please be aware that the links between the single threads and pages are mostly functional, but not always guaranteed to be. If you can't reach another page from where you are, go back to the index and try it from there.

[ Monday, August 16, 2004 11:35: Message edited by: Aran ]
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #144
Looks good, has Djur come back by the way?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #145
Back from where? You mean the temporary IP ban? That expired after an hour or so, afaik. He's been back long ago.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #146
Wow. Yeah, Aran, that looks about as good as anyone could hope for. Just goes to show that doing this through a program is thousands (if not millions) of times better than doing this manually.
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #147
What program did you use anyway?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #148
Tell RC to give you all the PPP1 files. :D

I think it's great, although it's a bit slower and I can't get some thread links to work, but I like it. Now you just need more webspace!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #149
Kelandon: It's quicker and more convenient, but being a program it can make mistakes much more easily. As ben said, some thread links don't work. That might be a problem with interlinking (always use the top index to go to a page and a thread; use as little links between actual pages and threads as possible), but it might also be because some threads just weren't saved. In that case, the manual thing is the way to go.

StD: I used the HTTrack Website Copier. It's freeware.

Pages