Welcoming you all to...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Welcoming you all to...
Warrior
Member # 3297
Profile #0
Hello, this is Kagurati, And im welcoming you all to come to my new Boards (forums). It has all sorts of area for you to post in and we are needing new members. Heres the link, Ultimate RP Don't let the name scare yeh away. It has forums for all major game companies and just about everything you'd want from a forum. Its constantly being updated and theres even a suggestion area.

--------------------
I am the swordsman that lets none escape! I am the blade the slices through stone plates! I am Kagurati!

Come check out my forums! Always improving! Gamer's Tech Zone. By Gamers, for gamers.
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #1
You have too many sub-forums.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Not another one. :rolleyes:

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Warrior
Member # 3297
Profile #3
Im still optimizing and adding forums and the list.

--------------------
I am the swordsman that lets none escape! I am the blade the slices through stone plates! I am Kagurati!

Come check out my forums! Always improving! Gamer's Tech Zone. By Gamers, for gamers.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Before I even consider clicking on that link, answer me the following question:

What is the difference between your forum and the approximately 230450 others that are registered on the web for the same subject?

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #5
The horrible page design?

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #6
I don't even really like games, they're like my crack though :)

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #7
<sighs>
Another mediocre try to decentralize the SW-community. Sad.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Shining Lightbulb:

The horrible page design?
Nope. I'm positive that more than half of the other pages out there have it too. Nothing unique there.

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #9
This seems like spam to me.
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #10
I like the way you have mistyped the word "sense".

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #11
You could at least put up a custom logo for the board...and take out the ads, too.

--------------------
Austrian Alex - Reality Corp.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
Did you read this thread? Then you'll know what we're talking about.

I've seen enough gaming forums come and go that I don't figure I really need to go through another one.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #13
I think that it is sexy.

Like, really sexy.

Like, oh baby, more, more, ohhhhhhh....

Actually, what I think is that it would be a great forum if it had far more than 10 members. Spiderweb has 4.6K+ accounts, and that's for, what, 15 games? 16? All one company, too. And quite a few of your members should have the knowledge to post on all of the forums, or almost all of them, for it to work out. Good luck.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Warrior
Member # 3297
Profile #14
People post only where they want to. Ive changed the design. Im making a banner at the moment. And theres even a link to Spider web homepage on the site.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
Um, people, get a clue. His board ISN'T a Spiderweb satellite board. Spiderweb is one of a rather lot of companies open to discussion at his board.

As a result of that, Kagurati, if you haven't already begun to advertise elsewhere -- like, lots and lots of other places -- you should. And if this thing actually gets going, be prepared to delegate responsibilites via modships all over the place.

It looks kind of neat, but it's also so new that it's hard to tell whether it will fail in the immediate future or manage to stay afloat.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by ben4808:

Did you read this thread? Then you'll know what we're talking about.

I've seen enough gaming forums come and go that I don't figure I really need to go through another one.

That post has a link to my forum, which is just a part of my website. Click the link in my signature. :)

Your's a big, big forum, btw. :)

[ Thursday, July 29, 2004 09:57: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #17
Yep, I just brought myself to click on the link. I'll agree there are too many categories (and sub-categories) there. Also too many 0s. :P

With about 10k members, this forum would be a great one, but as it is, it still needs some Google sponsored links. ;)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 4478
Profile Homepage #18
How are you choosing your moderators? Are they people that you've known for a while and know you can trust not to do something stupid.

Not much worse than a jerk with too much power. Especially when said jerk has access to IP's.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #19
there are WAY too many forums in that board.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
It is an interesting idea to try and attract many members by being 'General' and offering myriads of discussion topics.

Alas, it cannot succeed. Here's the reasoning:

1. The few members that are there originally will be disoriented in the multitude of empty forums, even before they become attached to the board by Force of Habit. Thus, they leave before ever becoming rooted in the community.

2. This effect is strengthened by the fact that the forums are concerned with entirely different topics. You will never find any members who are interested in ALL these games (or even most of them), most members will post in only a few of these forums.

3. For the above reasons, members will be unable, both time-wise (I don't have time to read through 100 discussions every time I visit the forums I'm on) and topic-wise, to contribute to more than a few forums in all that mess.

4. Being able to post in only very few sections of a very large board makes one feel unwelcome and inadequate on this forum - not part of the general community, always 'missing out' on something. Believe me, I know how that feels from not being able to follow the Warhammer 40k discussions in my Physics class. Basically, you fail to develop a sense of Communal Identity (let's call it Forum Patriotism for lack of a better term), and leave after a while.

--> 5. Therefore boards specifically made with many unrelated subjects in mind are doomed to failure.

Don't make one board with unrelated parts. It feels to members as though you're forcing people to participate in all of these. Limit yourself to one topic, or make separate boards (I strongly advise *against* the latter).

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
I do wonder... the Ambrosia Software boards look like a mess to me, and it appears unlikely that the same people post in all of their forums, but they don't seem to have any trouble whatsoever with those problems.

Meh, probably because the whole thing is run by the company that makes the games to which each individual board is dedicated, meaning that it won't go under even if any sub-forum slows at one time or another.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
But the Ambrosia forums are related at least through being from the same company.

I mean, I don't post in Nethergate or SubTerra (or play them), but still it doesn't feel like there's a gigantic board I have only a teensy little part in, because the people I see posting there are the same people I also see in General. This is a small board (by number of different forums, not population), and most of us know each other well. That wouldn't be the case on a larger board.

People who play one Ambrosia game are probably only marginally inclined to play another by the same company, but consider this: What kind of people more commonly play the Geneforge games - those who also play Exile, or those who also play Age of Empires?

Therefore, Exile and Geneforge are perfectly fine to have in one board, while Age of Empires and Geneforge aren't.

[ Friday, July 30, 2004 02:00: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #23
Bah, just another generic type 2. With fora like that and 12 members, you won't get very far.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Warrior
Member # 3297
Profile #24
Hmm... How to respond to all the recent replies..

It's barely a Spid-web fansite.

It has many sub-forum so it has something for everyone.

Im not expecting everyone to post everywhere. I AM expecting people to post in the areas they know most about and/or are most comfortable with.

Of course it doesn't have many members... its 6 days old...

I am advertising elsewhere.

There aren't many 0's now....

Give the forum time to grow.

I trust the people I choose to moderate. And if they do something wrong I can check on them. I do have a log stating everything they do thats related to moderating. But I DO trust them. They don't have access to IP Addresses. Only I have access to IPs.

I don't expect to find many people interested in everything. Thats why I have many areas. I expect people to stick to the area they know most about.

It has 18 members. Its growing at a steady pace. In awhile it'll be going pretty good i bet.

--------------------

Pages