Jeopardy and Ken

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Jeopardy and Ken
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #0
Who has been watching the most recent "Jeopardy" shows, with the 23-day champion Ken Jennings? If you have been, what do you think of Ken?

--------------------
I am the way into the doleful city
I am the way into eternal grief,
I am the way to a foresaken race.
Justice it was that moved my great creator;
Divine omnipotence created me,
And highest wisdom joined with primal love.
Before me nothing but eternal things
Were made, and I shall last eternally
Abandon all hope, all you who enter.

Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #1
I rember seeing his 3-10 wins. I think he uses brain enhancing drugs.
Agent
Member # 464
Profile #2
He's incredibly good at the game. Both a fast finger and lots of trivial knowledge. That's amazing. I think he'll stop at $1 million...or will he?
But, I think they should test their signalling buttons, if they don't do it on a regular basis, because I noticed that two shows ago or so, the third one was a bit slow.

--------------------
You go girl!
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #3
I think the guy should be shot or something. This allowance of people to have a more than five-day winning streak is utter crap. It demeans the people who worked so hard to set a record in their five day winning streak, when that was the limit. The previous record holder for the most money won in a five-day period was a blind man. And he was an utter genius. He deserved the record that he earned with his brainpower.

Then the five-day barrier was dropped and this man just waltzes along and answers these questions like they are common knowledge to him. He beats the blind man's record in no time at all and starts breaking other records as well.

This man is becoming an annoyance to many of the people who live where I do and we hope to see him be beaten by a woman. It's a travesty to let him go on to a million. He's a greedy ba$tard and he deserves to lose.

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #4
If you got the brains go for it reminds me of our school group Jepordy game thingees we won 100 bucks. They cut us off at 100$ though jerks. We actually acumulated around 300$ over 4-5 games. I've also won 50$ off of the schools poetry contests. They seem happy I'm leaving.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #5
They keep the buzzers in tip-top shape, its the matter of they player who uses it. If you press the buzzer before Alex finishes the question, you will have to wait 1 second before your buzzer actually registers with the computer. So if you have a quick thumb, and press it at the right time you will always be the first person to get an opportunity to answer.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #6
Yeah they check the buttons everyday I believe.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #7
I don't see what's particularly wrong with letting someone who has the sheer mental endurance to do this sort of thing do so. It was either remove the five-day limit or hike up the prizes dramatically. If neither was done, the message is that knowing Lake Titicaca from an exotic film is worth about $3000, and knowing which side of the road they drive on in England is worth $1,000,000.

They have to compete with Millionaire. If you are insulted by this and want to blame anyone, blame them.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #8
Can anybody say Quiz Show? Be the first to get to 21 pts!

I use buzzers just like that in Scholar Bowl. We always do a buzzer check before every round, except in the state tournaments.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't like Regis.

[ Saturday, July 03, 2004 13:07: Message edited by: Desert Ploo ]

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
I'm the installational captain of the local quiz team. We tend to win horribly when they don't have Bobby freaking Fischer on the other team, and even then we put in a respectable showing.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #10
I'm on my school quiz team, and have been since I started the school. We actually won the nationals a few years back.

Why is there a delay if you interrupt? That seems intensely counter-intuitive and unfairly punishes quicker thinkers.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #11
They have to wait until the question is finished being said so that all the players have an opporitunity to think. But it you just stand there pressing the button as fast as you can non-stop, then of course that person will have the ability to answer every question before anyone else, assuming they are psychic.

--------------------

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #12
So you should to have to answer immediately when you buzz. It works in every quiz with buzzers I've ever seen or participated in.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Apprentice
Member # 4690
Profile #14
I just saw this Ken person on Jeopardy win right at $900,000 - what was interesting was that, in this runaway game, the only record that he has (had) not broken was the one time total of $51,000. What was interesting was that today he had the opportunity to break that without risking the game, and he bet exactly the same amount of dollars that it would take to tie the record, not to win. Of course he got the answer right and tied the existing one day records. Apparently this young man intentionally decided to share the record with whoever it was that had it before - a very thoughtful and gracious thing to do. I thought I was smart until I saw this kid in action - You have to see him to appreciate the breadth and depth of his knowledge. Ken, if you are reading this, all the best to you, a true champion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #15
It is gracious of him to leave the one day champion (Brian Weikle, who appeared on 04/11/2003, total one day winnings at $ 52,000) record at what it is, but it wasn't very nice of him to completely erradicate the previous 5-day champion record holder(who I believe was Brian Weikle) off the chart with his record. The last person to hold the 5-day record was a very knowledgable man who worked very hard for his knowledge. Ken is a blessed person to be as intelligent as he is, but I believe he is and alien or is taking brain enhancing drugs.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #16
...or maybe he's just a know it all who likes to memorize volumes of encyclopedias. Anyways, I saw the show a couple of days ago and it's like Ken would intentionally give the 1000$ questions for the first round and the 2000$ questions for the second round away. In fact, I even heard him saying, "I'll pass on this one" out loud...he either didn't know the answer (or the question technically) or he was trying to let the others catch up / encoraging them. Mockery or good sport? I dunno.

As for the limit, I think there really shouldn't be a limit. Of course, the producers can always bribe him to not answer any of the questions or answer them incorrectly to get him off the show.

--------------------
Austrian Alex - Reality Corp.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #17
A few of my friends and I watch the show daily and take bets on who will come in SECOND place. It is quite amusing to watch Ken rake in the cash while the other contestants just stand there watching Ken win. We have had many speculations about how the game could be even more entertaining if Ken could bet any amount of money from his $900,000 total in the Double Jeopardy's and in the Final Jeopardy's. Also, for a really great time give Ken the ability to give the other players large sums of money so they actually have a chance at winning.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #18
I dunno... for some reason, it sounds like a sham. I haven't seen the man on jeopardy, so I'm gonna check that out tommorow night.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ignignok
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #19
Brian Weikle, if it is the same man, was blind. And it was amazing to watch him in action on Jeopardy when he was on. I watched him the week that he broke the 5-day win record. It was purely shocking.

I didn't know though that he had created the 1-day win record too. But that just makes him even more incredible. Hearing about how this Ken allowed him to share the record was rather nice and respectful of him to do.

But still, Ken has been on for far too long and is just plain annoying to see now. He needs to go. Seriously. Having someone like him on is unfair to the other people playing. They are smart too, but this guy makes everything look simple, and Jeopardy is not as simple as he makes it look. It’s just sad that he is allowed to go on like this. I will celebrate the day he loses.

This toast is for you Brian. I hope he loses just when he has a chance to break 1,000,000.

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Agent
Member # 464
Profile #20
I agree with Sherlock that Ken can now step down and let another person give it a shot at scoring big money. I mean, he's passed the $1 million mark, and there were a few former challengers who went against him that probably would've done pretty well if he had stepped down from the championship spot. The thrill of challenge in Jeopardy is kind of dying because, as he said, he makes everything look too easy against the challengers.

--------------------
You go girl!
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #21
More power to him. There's no point in nostalgia for the previous person's record if you can do better than them, no matter what that person's handicaps.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.