Michael Moore - Unfairenheit 9/11

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Michael Moore - Unfairenheit 9/11
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
Oddly enough, from the beginning I have been opposed to the war whenever I hear Americans talk about it and in favor of the war whenever I hear Tony Blair talk about it. The man is convincing. Even now, he can make it sound like neither he nor Bush were lying to the public, which I tend to suspect that they both were. Bush feels more culpable, and Blair feels like he was duped, so it would be upsetting (to say the least) if Bush won re-election but Blair did not.

Not completely on topic, but a related rant, free of charge.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #27
The idea that the man in charge of my country was duped into going to war contrary to popular opinion and based on a pack of lies over half of which not even Bush&co claimed to believe is not a pleasant one. To be honest, I'd be happy to see either of them go, and both would only be a bonus.

Yes, I'm British.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #28
Ugh, the crappy part is that almost everyone is so partisan, that debating any political topic at all seems pointless.

I liked the movie. It was biting and cheeky. I think Moore has a scary amount of power now. I like Michael Moore, I respect him as a filmmaker, and I respect his political opinions, though i may not agree with all of them. But the issue i see is that some people, almost exclusively young people, go see the movie, and come out believing it all as truth. Ah, but such is the power of film.

In conclusion... not as good as its hyped up to be, and I doubt its effect on the election will not be hardly as big as thats hyped up to be either.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go vote in the canadian federal election, which is today.

--------------------
Pathological Smirker
Smirking at Spiderweb since 1999
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #29
I'm amused by the recent "kill the messenger" tactic in politics. When refuting the issues doesn't work, attack the character! This even goes on at the Wall Street Journal forum. IMAGE(smile001.gif)

No matter what you can say about Michael Moore, nothing will change the impression I got from watching the clip with the president referring to a group of wealthy donors as his base, and the clip with him making a comment about cracking down on terrorism right before turning to take a golf swing. I challenge anyone here to demonstrate that this behavior isn't unbefitting a president and utterly irresponsible. The clips speak for themselves.

[ Monday, June 28, 2004 12:26: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #30
what was so bad about the golf thing? it was merely the way moore framed it so nicely in his film that made it look unwholesome. i think the fact that he was on vacation so much during his first year makes him look much more unprofessional.

--------------------
Pathological Smirker
Smirking at Spiderweb since 1999
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #31
His first year? Hell, he's spent more time on vacation than any president to date in one term.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #32
You gotta give the Right this much: they let their populists muckrake undisturbed, content to enjoy the electoral proceeds without abusing them out of whatever muddle of envy, middle-brow snobbery and preening, muscular Fabianism drives Hitchens and the like to go after Moore. Farenheit 9/11 is no more distorted and contradictory than the political culture industry from which it is trying to get a hearing, an industry which reduces all questions of justice, resource distribution and social relations to registers of ethical complicity, "character" and personality.

--------------------
Winter comes: game over -- he's in the driveway removing snow with a flame-thrower.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #33
I think you should take what Moore says with a pinch of salt. There are plenty of liberal commentators I much prefer. Nevertheless, there is a lot of truth in what he says and right-wing commentators are no more reliable.

I find him amusing, I occasionally find him thought-provoking and I fairly often find him irritating.

I would agree that most of the points made against him in this thread have attacked the person more than the message.

I would also agree with the description of Christopher Hitchens as a tiresome neo-conservative hack with too high an opinion of himself.

I don't find Blair that convincing, maybe because he's been prime minister since I was 10 years old and I've seen much more of him. I admire him much more now that he's practicing 'conviction politics' but I also think he's making the wrong decisions and preoccupying himself with foreign affairs rather than trying to put into action genuinely progressive policies. The trouble is that were he to concentrate more on Home Affairs, he'd probably just go for more PPP, despite its conspicous failure.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #34
I think Michael Moore is funny. His fabrications are no worse than the fabrications we receive everyday from our current administration.

I can't stand Bush. I don't like him because he is putting himself forward as something he is not. He is not a conservative in the traditional sense. I can't stand neo-conservativism. I do not like his strange religious agenda. When Pat Robertson says Bush was elected by god something is wrong.

I also think Bush is too attached to the Saudis. Osama Bin Laden is from Saudi Arabia and so is a lot of the money which is being used to finance terrorism. With Saudi Arabia one hand gives us oil while the other stabs the United States and Britain in the back. 30% of our oil comes from Saudi Arabia. Wahabism, the religious doctrine of Saudi Arabia is more extreme than Iranian fundamentalism.

I find Bush's foreign policy too hawkish also. We do not need to fight everybody to show we are number one. I see Iraq as a pyrrhic victory.

Bush's energy policy is even worse. We are not moving away from dependence on the middle east. In a year we could cut our dependence on foreign oil by 5% with simple measures. Mass introduction of biodiesel and greater use of ethanol additives could cut the use of foreign oil massively-- both for home heating and transportation. Also wind farms though unsitely have become very profitable.

I hate Bush even more because of what he did in Texas. In California they call it the Texas blackout special. Manipulating energy companies to cause blackouts is more than unethical. Bush's brothers internet company advertised for Blackout Specials. http://www.rackspace.com/aboutus/listings.php?hidelistings=1&detail=1077

Everyday I look at Bush I think of Enron which was a major campaign contributor to Bush. A giant funnel of unethical cash into the Bush coffer.

I have no problem with Moores movie. It is on the same level as the people in our current administration.

--------------------
Wave, wave, wave your flags. Butter sides all up.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily. Turn them upside down.
- The Better Butter Battle Book- Dr. Seuss

Buttered Toast's Short Short Scenario Design Contest- Blades of Avernum

http://butterytoast.tripod.com

Pages