Is this the end?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Is this the end?
Apprentice
Member # 4596
Profile #0
First of all hi, i`m new here IMAGE(smile000.gif)
Well i have a question. Is this the end of avernum games? If it is, it`s kinda sad IMAGE(frown000.gif)

--------------------
rpg... rpg... rpg 4ever
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
I've heard rumors that Jeff considers an Avernum 4. On the site, there is mention of a mysterious 'Other' project he doesn't want to name yet. It could be that, but it also could be something entirely different.

Whatever happens, I think there will be quite a lot of Blades of Avernum scenarios with the same setting as the series, so there'll sequels no matter what. IMAGE(wink0000.gif)

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #2
Jeff's part of the series is over - now it's up to us to create more Avernum adventures for the community. The end of Jeff's part, yes, but not the end of Avernum games.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #3
I think we should set up some sort of hammer over Jeff's head, connected to a string tied to a nail on the cieling. If he says the words 'Avernum 4 Released', cut the string IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

Nah, seriously. A4 would be a bad idea. It's like squashing another game in where the storyline doesn't fit.

Geneforge 3, and then..BoG?
.......................Something Completely Different?
.......................An amazing new roleplay engine?

--------------------
Blades of Avernum Script Archive - Submit your script now!
Apprentice
Member # 4596
Profile #4
Well i think that BoA storyline doesn`t fit i avernum trilogy, BoA in my opinion is peace of s***. Well it has avernum background, but scenarios are crap, in one scenario you are fighting empire, in other you are helping empire. In my opinion BoA isn`t avernum game it jus have avernum history and nothing else. Well first 4 scenarios could fit in storyline, but others which are and will be created by fans...

--------------------
rpg... rpg... rpg 4ever
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #5
You know, it warms my heart to see Jeff's vision of a gaming market populated by 8-year-olds realized.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #6
He (she?) has a point, though. BoA doesn't really continue Jeff's version of Avernum, which pretty much ended in the third game. All new scenarios (as well as the four made by Jeff, I think) have no real connection to the original Avernum. This should be quite easy to understand. The old "alternative dimensions thing".

I must agree that it kind of leaves a bad taste to those who enjoyed the storyline of the Avernum trilogy. A somewhat satisfying ending shouldn't be followed by a sequel, in which practically anything can happen. It's just not right. Sarua hit the spot there. Fighting the Empire in one scenario, helping it in the other (the same applies to Vahnatai etc). It's Avernum without being Avernum and that's what bothers me.

It's hard to explain, really. Seen from a gamer's view (and a bunch of others), BoA is a great idea. For those who really loved Avernum, it's a thing that should never have existed.

I'm not speaking out of facts, mind you. For me, Exile/Avernum was almost a religious experience.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #7
sarua, if you have a big problem with it, make your own goddamn scenarios. None of the BoA/BoE scenarios are canon in thwe vaernum tiemlien unless declared so by Jeff. Yes, that includes the ones he included. Each scenario has a diffrent objective, setting, and writer, except in the case of scenarios made by the same person.
edit: dammit, if i fhad ghit psot 4 seconds earlier instead of playign the damn game...

[ Wednesday, June 23, 2004 03:35: Message edited by: High Lord Sylak ]

--------------------
-Sylak, the inadvertant killer of threads
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Sylak, would you mind typing with your fingers in future?

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Apprentice
Member # 4596
Profile #9
I`m male first of all IMAGE(smile000.gif)
"Each scenario has a diffrent objective, setting, and writer, except in the case of scenarios made by the same person."
That`s exactly what i wanted to say. Every scenario is like another game, no not a game, more minigame. I hate games which ends so fast. I realy liked avernum trilogy because of it`s story and i think that story isn`t finished. Avernum and Empire are in peace, but does evryone like that? I don`t think so, such peace can`t last long. Furthemore vahnati still plans revenge on empire(probably). Demon king(forgot his name, shame on me IMAGE(frown000.gif) ) isn`t dead, it is just traped.
Sylak i`m not going to create scenario, because there isn`t any point.

--------------------
rpg... rpg... rpg 4ever
Apprentice
Member # 4534
Profile #10
Personally, I'd like to see Jeff pick up the Exile series again. Can't beat the good ol' classics...

--------------------
"Though I have shown you the path, you must be the one to walk it. I cannot walk it for you." -Cosmar
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
I'd advise you to check out Blades of Exile. There are scenarios out there which are both larger and better than the Exile series, and some (like At the Gallows) even continue the Exile storyline (which is the same as the Avernum storyline).

The whole point of BoA is for people to extend the Avernum world in their own ways; you wouldn't really want Jeff to spoonfeed you a resolution to everything, would you? Life doesn't work that way anyway.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #12
Oh, by the way, speaking of BoA... Is it wrong of me to want to make scenarios that have virtually nothing to do with the Exile/Avernum world?
And if I did make a scenario that was just an adventure in some little world I just made up, would anyone play it?

It's just that, I wouldn't want to start anything big or small with BoA if I know no one is going to be very interested in it. Otherwise, I already have a few ideas.

--------------------
"It won't do any good, Garion. I had you once, and I can take you again any time I want to. You're not strong enough to refuse me." - Asharak the murgo (Pawn of Prophecy, by Eddings)

My Homepage - Geneforge - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
Not at all. Lots of good BoE scenarios have little or nothing to do with the Exile world, and there's no reason to expect that the same won't be true of BoA. If your scenario is good, people will play and enjoy it.

[ Wednesday, June 23, 2004 05:13: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #14
Ah, great. Encouragement. Now I'll probably actually have to do some work. I suppose I should just be happy IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

--------------------
"It won't do any good, Garion. I had you once, and I can take you again any time I want to. You're not strong enough to refuse me." - Asharak the murgo (Pawn of Prophecy, by Eddings)

My Homepage - Geneforge - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
(Okay, after forgetting to post this for three hours and realizing that most of it has lost its point by now, I've cut some of it).

Yes, the scenarios are inconsistent with each other. This, however, is not a failing. The scenarios involve different points in the history of the world of Ermarian, and the side the party is on varies. Why would that matter? They are separate stories, after all, in spite of the characters being the same. If you really insist on them fitting each other logically, you could always say the party was using some sort of time machine to travel between scenarios. IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

[ Wednesday, June 23, 2004 06:48: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #16
Also, Sarua, you're never fighting against the Empire in BoA unless you choose to in A Small Rebellion.

Most of the BoE scenarios that put you against the Empire are also set during the period of the Exile/Empire War or are in strange alternate universes.

Of course, I have the diametrically opposed point of view to Sarua and Saltweed. Personally, I don't really like the Exile Trilogy or Avernum Trilogy games. They're alright, but I firmly believe that the Blades games are the best things that Jeff's ever made.

[ Wednesday, June 23, 2004 06:50: Message edited by: Imban ]
Apprentice
Member # 4596
Profile #17
Imban, yes i`m fighting with empire only in the small rebelion. But how many times i will have to do it in fans created scenarios? And don`t say that there won`t be created scenarios where you are smashing empire into picies.
Well i think that scenarios will never be as good as any avernum/exile game. Now i think that avernum/exile story oficialy has ended.

--------------------
rpg... rpg... rpg 4ever
Warrior
Member # 4230
Profile #18
Before you say that why don't you download a few and play them. Trust me, I used to think the same thing but "Spears" for BoE proved me dead wrong.

I really like Jeff's stories and I have enjoyed the Exile games, I was a little dissapointed with Avernum since it was a copy but I can understand its' appeal. I look forward to whatever he has coming up next, but that doesn't mean that the scenerios for BoE or BoA are not worth trying.

As I said, just try a few and judge them on their own merits and you might be surprised as to what you find.

--------------------
If Magic is your crutch, cast it off and walk without.
Diablo 1 Manual

Truth is good manners, manners are a fiction.
Mark Twain
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
If the hugeness of the Avernum games was what you liked (and you weren't alone on this, trust me), then you're bound to be disappointed with Blades of Avernum as it stands right now. The game has been out for only a few months. Epics take a looooooooong time to design. I mean, come on, give *i a chance to work, now!

Really, the prospects of what someone who is a good programmer AND a good storyteller can do with BoA make me drool. We have far more power with the BoA engine than Jeff ever had in the Avernum Trilogy. My suspicion is that however much any BoE scenarios were better than the Exile Trilogy, the BoA scenarios will eventually be at least three or four times that much better than the Avernum Trilogy.

Of course, you will have to wait a year or two before several of those scenarios are out. But you'll have short (and soon medium-lenth) stuf to tide you over. If you think the pre-packaged BoA scenarios are any sort of indication of what BoA will be like, I refer you to the other Blades to as evidence that's not even remotely true.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by sarua:

in one scenario you are fighting empire, in other you are helping empire.
You know, there's a reason Exile/Avernum 3's plot is generally considered to be the worst of the trilogy.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Apprentice
Member # 4596
Profile #21
quote:
You know, there's a reason Exile/Avernum 3's plot is generally considered to be the worst of the trilogy
? i was talking about BoA scenarios, not about avernum trilogy.
Kelandon and Bard of the soul, i hope you are both right

--------------------
rpg... rpg... rpg 4ever
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
Of both series, I actually enjoyed the third part the most, and just *because* of its plot. Neither Escape from the Pit nor Crystal Souls have any sudden unforeseen twists.
In Avernum I, you're thrown down by the Empire for being different. So you talk to some people, beat some baddies on the head and assassinate the emperor in the end.
In Avernum II, you have to go down to the Vahnatai lands to convince them that you're the good guys and the Empire is the villain. You accomplish that, and beat the Empire up again.
In Avernum III, you have to actually *look* for a solution. You have to travel around talking to people and examining evidence. In the end, the villain turns out to be someone entirely different than who you expected at first!
From the widely accepted viewpoint that plot should be the primary concern of a game, I would give my vote to Ruined World.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
Just so you know, Valley of Dying Things and Za-Khazi Run are widely regarded as terrible, especially the latter. A Mild Rebellion is okay, but nothing special. Diplomacy with the Dead isn't in BoE, but it's still not so great. Don't judge BoA by the existing scenarios, because they're nowhere close to the full potential of the game and the editor.

Even if Avernum's story is over, at least officially, and nobody produces any good scenarios set in Avernum, is that so bad? If the game didn't have the word "Avernum" in the title, you would be able to enjoy the engine and immense, intricate scenarios set anywhere the designer likes.

Give those designers some time. One day, the next Alcritas will finish his scenario. When that day comes, you will either eat your words or be officially declared a person of questionable plot and gameplay judgement.

?Alorael, who would like to add his voice to the "buy BoE" urgings. See what can be done with Spiderweb's tools before you declare everything made with them inferior to Spiderweb's works. Even if you disagree (you person of questionable judgement!), you'll be entertained for hours and hours and hours.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #24
Sarua, what you were talking about is irrelevant. I was providing a counter-example to your rather spurious argument. If you criticise BoA scenarios for not being part of the Avernum canon, you're essentially saying you prefer the Avernum canon. And if the Avernum canon displays the same changes of aim...

Aran, a good plot needs motivation. The motivation for the Vahnatai to attack the Empire is horrifically sketchy and they are portrayed as almost entirely homogenous, showing Vogel's irritating tendency not to bother developing villains properly.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"

Pages