What Are You?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What Are You?
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #75
AM, a bit preachy? That would be like saying, organic lifeforms are a bit organic. The English government is doing a downright awful job, yes that is true. However, when it comes to starting wars, from its' birth, America has had the title on that one. Also the Irish problem has been going on for alot longer than just the last century.

In addition, Christianity is no longer the national religion here. Hasn't been for a least two decades. The majority (a good 40%) is athiest. However if you wish to take that tack, how much trouble has your country's religion caused? More than ours. And your nation is alot younger than ours.

Alec, indeed Colubus did commit genocide and by now any possible survivors and decendents of are probably deceased. However, Rwanda? UN didn't step in, and in as long as it been since Columbus had his go, again, and all the survivors and their decendents of that will likely either no longer exist or meld into a different ethnic group.

The rest... I either agree, am indifferent or do not have the energy to bother with.

Bleh, feh, meh.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #76
"[T]he Irish problem" says it all.

[ Friday, June 04, 2004 10:45: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #77
BtI, I think the UK has regional cultural differences, too. Maybe England by itself doesn't, but the UK includes Scotland and Northern Ireland, too. Few reasonably sized countries don't have some regional variation. Even France has a slight variation with Provencal. And they have a few Basques, too, I think, although those are mainly in Spain.

Alo, Britney Spears will continue to be a representative of American culture for as long as she keeps making songs (and more importantly, music videos). IMAGE(tongue02.gif)

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #78
Fair. I retract Britain as an example. Point stands, though; besides which, it's a bit silly to gibber on about how Britain has roots up the wazoo and America doesn't have them at all, and if I got the gist of FBM's message that was it.

Also, FBM, your statement about starting wars is utter bollocks. The only external wars which the US fought until the end of the 19th century were one with France, one with Britain, and one with Mexico. By comparison, your country pretty much went around the world smacking people around for the glory of the Empire during that period. In fact, the order of the day was pretty much 'if you can get a causus belli against it, shoot it. If you can't, claim it as part of the empire and gain one.'

I'm not inclined towards charitability with respect to a Briton whining about how America has a long history of starting wars. Until the first War, we fought the above-mentioned and had a few filibusters. By comparison -- and this is just off the top of my head -- your country fought the Indians, the Afghanis, the Chinese, the Dutch, the Argentinians -- not even bothering with the Napoleonic wars here -- the Russians, and countless little unrecorded battles for world imperialism. I'm willing to admit that this country has a bad legacy behind it, but I'm completely unwilling to have you condescend us for it.

[ Friday, June 04, 2004 11:14: Message edited by: General Custer ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #79
Kel, the divides do, in fact, run very deep. England is probably one of the most culturally divided (not to be confused with ethnic) countries in the world.

The northerners hate the southerners and vice versa. If you aren't one of them, you don't like the Cornish, the Mancs, the Scousers, the Geordies, the Cosmos, Yorkshire or Norfolk. And that's the main ones.

And Alec, no. I did not even imply, at any point, that Britain had any more roots, cutural or otherwise, than America. America has roots. Britain has roots. Being much older, we do have more, but still.

And actually, I said "start wars" not "fight wars". Post-1900, America has helped start more wars than Britain ever fought. Selling arms, assassination and a downright poor foreign policy. Whatever way you look at it, they haven't done much good.

Okay, sure thing. We had a downright pain-in-the-ass policy on the world in the 19th century. We fought, we massacared, pillaged, plundered, conquered etc. the list goes on. However, America is doing just as worse, less openly and now. We learnt from our mistakes, granted Commonwealth and stopped fighting. Your turn.

EDIT: Dang you spoiling my fun.

[ Friday, June 04, 2004 13:05: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #80
FBM, read my post again. I'm not wrong, because I said "maybe." I didn't want to make a statement about that.

EDIT: And for crying out loud, don't quibble. You're provide SUPPORT for what I'm saying, not contradicting it.

[ Friday, June 04, 2004 12:58: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #81
Ah, I mis-read. So sue me. Point still stands though.

EDIT: You also might want to edit your post again. If I wasn't adept at understanding esoteric and confusing things, I wouldn't be me. And methought you made the vow to never speak or make reference to me again? Oh well. Happy arguing!

[ Friday, June 04, 2004 13:10: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
And methought you made the vow to never speak or make reference to me again?
I did. I have changed my mind. Now I've decided that I'm just not going to point out every point of disagreement I have with you, because then I'd be here all day.

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #83
(in a Cockney accent) Ah, yah know ya love me really, guv'na! IMAGE(biggrin3.gif)

Fair point though. Also you'd never get me to admit I was wrong. Or if you do, you'll never think it worth the years of effort it took.

--------------------

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #84
Northerners in England may hate Southerners and vice versa. The local women may be the butt of a multitudinous variety of Essex girl jokes (although many of those are deserved.) Yorkshire may be referred to here only in terms including the phrase 'down pit.' Geordies may be considered to be subhuman. Residents of Hampshire may be right up their own arses. But as everywhere bar Cornwall in England has spoken the same language more or less for 500 years and since the last attempt at regional autonomy faded away in 1570, I'd say Englsihmen everwhere have a lot in common. Not a lot of good things, but a lot in common. All our real bile is therefore reserved for the French, Germans, Scots, Irish, Swiss and numerous other nationalities. Hence UKIP's success.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"

Pages