Retrogames

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Retrogames
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #0
I happen to like old computer games, but I am not sure where the best place to get them. I do not like many of the 3d graphics in the newer games, I think many of them are poorly done. The only real advantage I see in many of the newer games is the combination feature of rpg and strategy.

It would be interesting to see Jeff do a combination RPG strategy game where you switch from small engagements with a party to larger tactical engagements as part of an army or siege party. Either in Avernum or Geneforge.

I have an extreme distrust of buying old software from auctions (ebay amazon, etc.. Is there a good place to get ye old software which is reliable. I look at the best rated old rpgs and they are not in the stores anymore. have been looking at rpgdot.com top 100. By the way all of Jeff's games are reviewed on this site. Waiting for Blades of Exile for Windows.

want fallout 1 and fallout 2.

--------------------
Wave, wave, wave your flags. Butter sides all up.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily. Turn them upside down.
- The Better Butter Battle Book- Dr. Seuss

Buttered Toast's Short Short Scenario Design Contest- Blades of Avernum

http://butterytoast.tripod.com
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #1
The fallout series are available from the porting house, they even had a great deal, like around $10 each a while back.
Sadly, I can't remember who made them IMAGE(frown000.gif)

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Interplay made Fallout and Fallout 2. The Mac version was, of course, made by Macplay.

Ebay is usually quite reliable, and I've never had any trouble at all with buying used from Amazon. I haven't found any single good source for old games besides those single sales.

?Alorael, who wouldn't keep waiting for Blades of Exile for Windows when it is out and has been for years. Get it now! If you mean Blades of Avernum, you still have a little bit of waiting to do... so why not get Blades of Exile?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #3
I'm still waiting for BoA too. Hopefully it'll be out soon, it's almost summer. I can't wait.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ignignok
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #4
Look at my thread on spidweb-storm impact, theres some links there to an old game called "Taskmaker" and it's sequel

BTW fallout 1 isn't that old you know...what is it '98?

--------------------
spiderweb soft make an mmorpg!
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Posthaste:

Interplay made Fallout and Fallout 2. The Mac version was, of course, made by Macplay.

Ah yes, thank you. Now I should be off to see if those deals are still available IMAGE(smile000.gif)

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #6
The Underdogs

Includes all kinds of underrated and older games, although the big older games (e.g. the early X-Coms, Civilization, and so forth) aren't going to be there for an obvious reason: everyone who knows what they are has probably played them directly or by proxy.

Fallout is '96 or so; there was a DOS version of it. I think this makes it older than most of SW's games.

[ Friday, May 21, 2004 13:42: Message edited by: Sir Psycho Custer ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #7
Yes, I would indeed agree that HOTU is certainly the best site around for retro. Certainly the ONLY place you'll ever find Covert Action nowadays. It also hosts some other gaming communities such as Z2 (ZZT).

EDIT: I am braindead! Agh! How could I forget? Rogue! Best retro game EVER.

[ Friday, May 21, 2004 14:17: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #8
Alorael, Black Isle Studios made the game, Interplay just published it. You just made my day IMAGE(tongue00.gif) ... Night it is.

Annyway, here in norway they still sell Fallout 1 and 2 in retrail stores... Where are you from?

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
If Alec's link doesn't work, try www.the-underdogs.org -- the link seems to need the www in it to work. And if you have a Mac, well, try mac.the-underdogs.org

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
I was close. For someone who hasn't played either one (hold the stones, please!), I came pretty close.

?Alorael, who really should take the general advice and pick them up. His gaming experience is obviously terribly incomplete without Fallout.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00