Good games for the Mac

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Good games for the Mac
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #0
Originally, I purchased my iBook because of its functionality, as well as a way to avoid getting sucked into games as I always have on the PC.

Unsurprisingly, I find myself wanting to play games again, so I'd really appreciate any recommendations you longtime Mac users may have for a relatively recent convert (other than Spiderweb Games, which I know are great!).

What games do you like, and why?
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #1
EV Nova is pretty good. You get to fly about killing things, and the plots are reasonable.

And Nethack is available for the Mac, as well as for any other platform. It has almost no plot, and the graphics are ascii, but it is more detailed than any other game I've seen.

[Edited for the and whys]

[ Thursday, May 20, 2004 12:19: Message edited by: Khoth ]

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
BoA BetterEditor for MacOS X
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #2
These take up the majority of my time:

Fallout (1 + 2)
Deus Ex

But if you're looking for some less-extensive, shareware type deal, check this out:

http://tangible-dreams.com/Tales_of_Lorea.html

Its pretty fun.

--------------------
Pathological Smirker
Smirking at Spiderweb since 1999
Apprentice
Member # 4323
Profile #3
Theres' online text based rpg games.
For a mac, you can use a program called savitar play them. (probably my favorite because of the online interaction)

Theres' neopets which can be played with any computer but plays better depending on what kind you have.

I have a few games (Mostly free demos) on my computer some of which I havn't even tried yet..One fun one is planent ho.

There may be less games for the mac in general but it still amounts to a big variety and more then most people could play.

The only game I think I want yet myself is a mac version Ultima...If you liked the BOE game you'll like Ultima.

--------------------
Shamelessly advertising my own game: Escapades in the green mountains.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Along with the EV series, the same company (Ambrosia Software) has made a bunch of fun action/arcade games. I like Barrack, Maelstrom, Apeiron, and a few others. They're kind of old, though... I don't know how well they work on newer systems.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #5
Pangea Software has made some pretty good games. I haven't played any of their most recent offerings, though, as they're quite firmly dedicated to staying at the cutting edge in terms of new hardware and processors and the like, while I've been coping with my first-generation iMac for almost five years. My favorite game by Pangea is most probably Power Pete, quite an old game, which has recently been renamed "Mighty Mike." Of course, there's a chance that the newest stuff is even better.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #6
yeah, Ambrosia makes a bunch of good games, as well as the Blizzard stuff.
I picked both because Ambrosia is shareware - you can try them out, and they only put out (IMO) quality stuff.
I picked Blizzard because out of a sea of game developers, they deliver to the mac platform, often at the same time as PC

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
I... ...vaguely remember Pangea. Not my favorite.

There's obviously emulators- legal, if you own the actual games! Which I don't. IMAGE(tongue00.gif) It's my primary source for games, since the SNES FF games are pretty damned fun. As is Chrono Trigger, the best RPG ever (?).

Realmz is... ...okay, I guess.

WC3 is awesome.

Fallout 1/2 are both amazing, although if you're adverse to scratchy graphics... eh.

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Emerald Mountain
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #8
Fallout 1 is the best game i've ever played, my favorite game and RPG (dont worry, the Avernum and GeneForge series tie together in 3rd, Arcanum is 2nd, heh.)

Are the Jagged Alliance games on the Mac? If so, I recommend them very much.

--------------------
People says Microsoft paid 14 million dollars for using the Rolling Stones song "Start me up" in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14 million dollars only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line "You'll make a grown man cry".
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #9
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out Pangea and Ambrosia. I do like WC3, though its speed, performance-wise, on my G3 iBook leaves a bit to be desired. Maybe I'll try out on-line community games one of these days as well. The hard part is that the only time I have on-line generally is at work, where I can't take *too* much time... IMAGE(wink0000.gif)
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #10
Halo: Combat Evolved... Even though many people say its overrated and stuff... I just love it, the story, the music, the warthog driving... The best game I have EVER played, and you should read the three books that has been published if youre gona purchase it. Ambrosiasw and Pangea is good too if Halo is too much for your iBook...

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849