New Draft

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New Draft
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #0
http://www.draftregistration.us/

See you in Doha, soldier

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #1
Had that been a real page I would've been much more concerned. However, as it stands I don't think they'll be able to muster enough support to bring about another draft.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #2
That was actually quite funny. IMAGE(smile000.gif)

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Lifecrafter
Member # 233
Profile #3
Supposedly they want women to register now too. I'm not sure if they are going to get the bill passed, but I have friends in Canada, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

--------------------
I'm just too selfish to be Zen. I mean, once you lose yourself and reach total enlightenment you don't care what the answer was in the first place. Ultimately a few good friends and a bag of Doritos is a better investment.

There is no such thing as an over-active imagination.

Hmm... These games are addictive and quite possibly dangerous. I fear the FDA will start regulating RPGs.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Not that funny... I gulped when I saw that before scrolling down to the chickenhead.org footline to make sure it actually *was* a joke.

From what I've heard recently, it's not that improbable; probable enough to scare me anyway (yes, I live in Germany, but I have both citizenships and will probably go to the US to study).

Edit: Still, once you actually read it, I must agree it's quite amusing. IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

[ Friday, May 07, 2004 11:13: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #5
Yay I'm registered

--------------------
Getapc
--------------------
The Flaming Sword of not perfict grammer has now become The Flaming Sword of Pretty Good Grammar.
--------------------
Warning pretty good grammar behind.▓
--------------------
A guy with not so perfict grammer has changed to A guy with pretty good grammar.
--------------------
I shortened my signature more.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Student deferment, here I come.

If there is a draft, I predict that the president's popularity numbers will drop to abysmal lows. If it is before the election, Bush will lose.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #7
It'll take a Democrat in the White House: Republicans will do anything to avoid wars requiring mass-mobilization, since conscripts have had the awkward tendency to ask for things like civil rights and economic redistribution once the fighting is over. I'd be more concerned about what happens when under-paid and over-deployed mercenaries return from the colonies (see Spain, 1930s).

--------------------
Winter comes: game over -- he's in the driveway removing snow with a flame-thrower.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #8
Entirely different case. The mercenaries in that example were Moroccan tribesmen whereas those trying to overthrow democracy was Carlist farmers in the Pamplona area, the landowning and middle classes and the church. Furthermore, there are few to no parallels between the political situation of 1930s Spain and the present day USA.

Mercenaries are a problem and a drain on resources in Iraq but once they leave they're not going to have an effect on America. On Angola, perhaps.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
Mercenaries seem to be a problem already during the war, as can be seen from the current situation at Abu Ghraib(sp?). They are not military officials and therefore can't be prosecuted by a military court...

Concerning election and drafts. If the latter happens, it will of course be *after* the former. Bush might not be a genius, but even he will know to avoid that kind of thing during his campaign.

--------------------
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #10
Non-Spanish enlistment in Franco's Foreign Legion was at most 25% (as far as any book near me says -- perhaps they are wrong), and the officer class was notably and notoriously Spanish. Humiliated, disgruntled and underfunded militaries are, of course, never the predominant element in the bloc of interests driving the establishment of authoritarian states, but they are the primary instrument -- as Roosevelt understood when he shipped MacArthur back to the Philippines in '35 (worked better than sending Franco to the Canary Islands).

Obviously, BtI's point about the massive difference between 1930s Spain and the present U.S. is correct ("I'd be more concerned" did not mean "I'm very concerned"): provided, that is, the economy remains merely emiserating.

--------------------
Winter comes: game over -- he's in the driveway removing snow with a flame-thrower.
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #11
Nader wants to bring back the draft putting the nail in the coffin for his presidential campaign... IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ignignok
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
You get some supporters for supporting the draft, mostly those people who are a.) strongly supportive of war and b.) not affected by recruitment (perhaps being older than the limit). However, as the main point right now is to gain the non-voters (which are mainly the younger part of the population), this kind of move is not a good one, I should say.

--------------------
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #13
Certainly, the Foreign Legion was mostly Spanish, but amongst the ranks there were a fair amount of Marxists and the officers were right-wing not because they were officers but because if you were of that class, too poor to never work and not bright enough for the priesthood, you joined the army. The most feared troops were always the Rif tribesmen.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #14
I can't wait to serve my country!

=P

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #15
Nader et al support the draft because it's supposed to be an equalizer; as is, the army is mostly ethnic minorities and urban poor.

Then again, the last time we did it, the rich bastards got out of it anyway.

Rowen: Good boy. I'm sure Hitler would have loved you.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #16
I think Rowen might have been joking, what with that " =P " thrown in at the end.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #17
You think, Alec was not joking? IMAGE(eek00000.gif)

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
Solar power is the wave of the future.
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #18
"ATTENTION ALL AMERICAN
MEN & WOMEN AGED 16-45:"

Yay, I don't have to sign up for another year! Saves some time from completing that long form...

--------------------
Chance Forums
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #19
Hitler was a draft-dodger too, you know.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #20
Hitler did fight in WWI. Got shell-shock. Probably what sent him properly over the edge.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #21
He fought for Germany. On the other hand, in Austria-Hungary he was registered as a deserter when he did not turn up to do his peacetime service.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Custerbly Numb:

Rowen: Good boy. I'm sure Hitler would have loved you.
I'm also in the same political end as Hitler. Soon I shall take over the world! But first I'll play a little A2. (I like the cool little slith spears, I'll make them mandatory in my army)

=P

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Warrior
Member # 3117
Profile #23
quote:
Then again, the last time we did it, the rich bastards got out of it anyway.
Nothing wrong w/ being a rich bastard. Hell, I wouldnt mind being one...

--------------------
If your buddy is trying to hook up with a girl, you may sabotage him only in a manner that gives you no chances of getting any either.
-The Code

Pahk ya cah in hahvad yahd?? What ah ya? retahded?!

Can't figure out the other sex? Check out ladder theory!
[URL=http://www.laddertheory.com[/URL]
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #24
Me neither.

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]

Pages