Graphic Copyright (GFX is being used somewhere else)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Graphic Copyright (GFX is being used somewhere else)
Apprentice
Member # 4104
Profile #0
I was browsing through some MMORPG sites and I came across this one which I found this "giant roach" monster who looked extremely familiar:
http://pyr8.net/rpgwo/img/screenshot/10112003-2.jpg

Yes, its shape and colors macth exile 3 the lost world's one, with exception of the gree modified back. Considering the quality of the graphic of the roach compared to the rest of the game, we can tell it was brought from somewhere else. =P

Perhaps someone should remind them of copyright law if there any applying in your gfx.
However we gotta keep in mind that some gfx they used in that game were given by someone else and they shouldnt get all the blame for it. Anyways good luck,
Yours,
Ed
Apprentice
Member # 4104
Profile #1
IMAGE(0-10_files/10112003-2.jpg)
IMAGE(0-10_files/mon.jpg)
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #2
1. I don't see the resemblance. At all.
2. Mr. Vogel is not Sean Howard.
3. Eleanor Roosevelt condemns you to hell for your sins.

[ Tuesday, March 16, 2004 19:36: Message edited by: And Suddenly, Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #3
There's plenty of free RPG graphics on the web, which also include giant roaches, most of which will probably look alike even if drawn by different people.

--------------------
Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heilighthum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder, was die Mode streng getheilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder, wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Pieter Simoons aka Radiant

Official Crystal Shard and SubTerra webpage
Apprentice
Member # 4104
Profile #4
@And Suddenly, Custer:
"1. I don't see the resemblance. At all."
same shape, size, and colour with exception of the greenish modified back. Even the 3 dots in the cockroach behind are identical, and the position of the legs are identical as well. And you come to tell me there is no ressemblance?

"2. Mr. Vogel is not Sean Howard."
Ok, maybe that made sense to you, but not to me.

"3. Eleanor Roosevelt condemns you to hell for your sins."
Again!

@Radiant: what are the odds of drawing one with same size, color, position? Check that game page and check the graphics in general, isnt the roach mismatching? Probably some sold it to them pretending it was an original artwork.

Im not trying to flame or bring down this small game. Its a free web game and therefore are not directly making profit (if any at all) out of other people's work.
However, I work as an artist, myself. And it kind of bothers me to see my works being displayed as property of someone else without acknowledgements. There is something called credential and I think we should encourage people to use it.

Btw, Im NOT the one who drew Exile3 monsters lol.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #5
Vogel didn't draw the images and very likely doesn't own them. The shape's reasonably similar, but not so similar that it must be identical. More to the point, The Howard comment refers to the author of the terrible webcomics at squidi.net and his propensity for lawsuits. The Eleanor Roosevelt comment refers to your grievous sagotry.

I shan't be bothering to explore that image pixel by pixel, but given that they've put a colour shift on it, by the standards of the Blades community it's a semi-original graphic. I frankly don't think western civilisation is going to collapse or you're going to lose your livelihood and end up hooked on crack on the street because of that image.

IMAGE(0-10_files/dugong.html)

[ Wednesday, March 17, 2004 13:54: Message edited by: The Articulated Ronald Dominator ]

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #6
Jeff didn't draw any graphics except for the original original graphics for the first two Exiles. I don't think the graphics in his Exile games are really copyrighted because I know they've been used elsewhere and were supplied by the same art studio.

--------------------
How do signature's work?
-Keep
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #7
Exactly. Given that there are many free RPG graphics on the web, it is not unreasonable to assume that Jeff has used a couple of them, himself.
It is also certainly possible that somebody ripped Jeff's graphics and put them on the web somewhere as 'free RPG graphics'. Happens a lot on sites like that, I've seen entire Legend of Zelda spriterips displayed as 'free'.
Maybe you should ask the writer of rpgwo where he got the images.

--------------------
Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heilighthum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder, was die Mode streng getheilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder, wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Pieter Simoons aka Radiant

Official Crystal Shard and SubTerra webpage
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #8
Didn't Foglio Studios, or something like that, do the graphics?

--------------------
How do signature's work?
-Keep
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #9
I think most of the game graphics were done by Andrew Hunter, while the Foglio Studios did the UI.. Not sure, though.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #10
To tell ya the truth... I see no resemblence between that roach and the Exile 3 roach, except for mabey the direction they face.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #11
I don't remember how the roaches in Exile looked, but I wouldnt make a big deal about it, I have seen plenty of other stuff ripped from places.

And, why is Custer banned???

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #12
even if it really were copied, it's only ONE graphic, so i don't think it will make a difference.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #13
Alec being banned? Well it might just be a title change but he has been spamming recently in different topics...

Also, the Mod board was quite busy lately, any connection?

--------------------
-TEH BOOGEYMAN STRIKES AGAIN

--------------------

And then there's always a Chance nearby...
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #14
he probably really is banned. :/

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #15
Speaking of the originals (yes, I'm aware that there are several topics on this already, but I'm not supposed to un-dead topics, and this isn't starting a new one, anyway), does anybody have the original E1 graphics? I've got E2, and I've done some pretty neat things with them, and they're a lot like E1, but I just want to get my hands on them and compare.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Alec is temporarily banned for the Techgforge topic.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #17
Does it matter that the graphics are similar?
I mean would you sue someone for drawing a smiley face. Thats similar to one you had previously drawn?

--------------------
"When one thinks to him or herself about who they really are, They usually come out of it empty handed for the question be -not who am i-, but -what have i acheived?-"

Experimental forum