Old threads

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Old threads
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #0
I heard that these forums were having memory trouble (or was it bandwidth I can't remember). I think they should delete all of these old posts instead of piling them up, it would help their space out a lot. What do you people think?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 17 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=VCxBmlctDTVV"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=VCxBmlctDTVV"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_windowIMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Old threads_files/votenow.gif)[/url]     IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Old threads_files/voteresults.gif)[/url]

--------------------
The most pointless site in the world!

Why did the chicken cross the road?

George Bush's answer:
We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or it is against us. There is no middle ground here.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #1
I don't see how old dead topics have any effect n bandwidth, as they're not visited or posted in..

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #2
Eliminate old threads? Are you mad? These old threads aren't just garbage, to be tossed aside and forgotten. They provide an invaluable record of the goings-on around here, not just on Spidweb itself, but throughout the entire community. In addition, many of the old threads constitute a veritable treasure trove worth of information and intelligent discussion. And then, of course, there are all the old flame war threads and deliciously random posts, which lend color and humor to the graveyard. If it wasn't for all these old threads lying around, it would have been impossible for me, as well as a few others, in all probability, to make such a speedy integration into this fine community. A board with no old threads is like a high school without a single history class.

[ Thursday, February 19, 2004 11:08: Message edited by: A Stughalfian Principle ]

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #3
I agree with Stughalf, I was once told to browse through old threads on this site to get the general feel of this board and what kind of senses of humor people here have etc. The old posts aren't garbage, and they provide help getting newbies comfortable to the atmosphere here.

--------------------
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Take a chance at the Chance Forums!
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #4
BTW, how much space do topics take up on the server in general?

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
I believe the problem is bandwidth, not server space. When Misc. was closed more than a year ago, not a single post was deleted. That points to no lack of room for babble, only the ability to send and receive that babble.

Old, dead topics are no problem for bandwidth. Nobody reads them or posts in them, no information is sent through the server, and everyone is happy. I'm not really convinced that we're posting less than we did when we had Misc., but Spiderweb isn't complaining.

—Alorael, who sees Misc. as a good place to store topics that should not be pruned but that should also remain dead until absolutely necessary. Not that it will be used for that purpose, but it would give that part of these boards more than nostalgia and old posts.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #6
quote:
I believe the problem is bandwidth, not server space.
Is spiderweb going to do something against the bandwidth jam? Sometimes I need several minutes to post. And then it doubles ... <sigh>

...I mean, now we are 4000, soon BoA is coming out, lots of media, SW gets better and better known and 3000 new newbies will cram the net ...

))
IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Old threads_files/tongue.gif) -)
PP-/
LL
up with bandwidth!

--------------------
site of the month:
Do not trample down the earth on which you walk.
Calculate your personal footprint.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #7
It's been a year since Misc closed? Damn. I say get rid of UBB and go get one of those free boards that have alot of the same features. Don't you have to pay a ridiculous amount for UBB forums?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #8
Yes.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #9
IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Old threads_files/eek.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Old threads_files/eek.gif) HOW THE BLOODY HELL CAN THEY DO THAT!?!?

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
We're not paying anything - we bought a one-year upgrade license on the cheap and that was it. And going to a free service? Please no. What we have now is the best we're going to get for free.

Still, I wouldn't mind springing for an OpenTopic board. Infopop still rules the serious messageboard business.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #11
I thought there was the occasional prune anyway?

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #12
I believe there is, and it saddens me somewhat, although it probably can't be helped. A few of the threads which I read soon after my arrival have, in the intervening time, been discreetly eliminated.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
My instructions from Mariann were 'no pruning', so I don't know what's going on, unless some unsavory threads have been deleted.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3936
Profile Homepage #14
I think UBB might do it automatically, but the last thread visible to me was posted on May 1st 2003. I am pretty sure there were threads posted before then...

[ Saturday, February 21, 2004 01:18: Message edited by: T3h Invisible n00b ]
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #15
Are not avatars there on other boards.Why not here.

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #16
We had them way back, but then Drakey had to disable them. I had a nice crying baby as mine.. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Old threads_files/frown.gif)

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #17
I've deleted, uh, one or two threads that were particularly unsavory. But that's it.
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #18
Oh so it IS a bandwidth problem. Deleting posts won't solve that.

quote:
It's been a year since Misc closed? Damn. I say get rid of UBB and go get one of those free boards that have alot of the same features. Don't you have to pay a ridiculous amount for UBB forums?
I looked at that link, and now I thought...OMG! $200 for a messageboard? This madness must stop immediately!

I know a place that offers free messageboards, that are roughly as good as this one. Go to conforums.com, and stop spending money on rip-offs!

--------------------
The most pointless site in the world!

Why did the chicken cross the road?

George Bush's answer:
We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or it is against us. There is no middle ground here.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3239
Profile #19
I checked out conforums...

needless to say, they suck. InvisionFree is even better...

The board in itself would need to be on the ironycrystal.com server, not a cheap subdomain of some remotely hosted board. But still, if needing a remotely hosted board, with FTP access, go to http://freeboards.uni.cc/ They only have the phpBB2 plus board with the FTP option and it does have one ad on it.

--------------------
I AM TEH BOOGEYMAN CORP.

--------------------

And since the stupid link won't work, I'll use this one:
Chance Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
General and the other leaving sections are still pruned regularly. Misc. has been left almost entirely untouched as far as I can tell. There's no buildup of new posts and no removal of old posts.

—Alorael, who would rather not see avatars return. They were fun, but the ridiculous loading times caused by 25 avatars, some of which were far too big, were prohibitive.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #21
*Sniff* IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Old threads_files/frown.gif) Poor poor avatars, it works at polaris, why not spiderweb?

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #22
Polaris - 39 members.

Spiderweb - 4011 members and growing.

That should be enough.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #23
I thought there was a board admin called la rennaisance IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Old threads_files/rolleyes.gif) .Right IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Old threads_files/confused.gif)

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Shock Trooper
Member # 3239
Profile #24
That would be Alec, and no, he is not an Admin.

--------------------
I AM TEH BOOGEYMAN CORP.

--------------------

And since the stupid link won't work, I'll use this one:
Chance Forums

Pages