cheerleading

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: cheerleading
Apprentice
Member # 3957
Profile Homepage #0
Is cheerleading an actual sport??

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 22 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=kczmufRICoZf"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=kczmufRICoZf"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_windowIMAGE(cheerleading_files/votenow.gif)[/url]     IMAGE(cheerleading_files/voteresults.gif)[/url]

--------------------
life sucks then you die
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #1
It is, actually. I just found out yesterday that an old friend of mine actually does.. cheerleading. As sport.

I did not know it was sport before that. But it is O_o.

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waitingformedication. I could really use some.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #2
1. How does this relate to Spidweb?

2. Dance team isn't, only teams that do the crazy crap participate in the "sport" part.

--------------------
I want my Desert Plah back, (Drakey, check your PM's.)

"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #3
Someone said to me that I should watch football for the cheerleaders. After a while, too long to say it to him, I realized that I would if not for the fact that the male football players get in the way.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #4
I would guess cheerleadings a sport due to my sport camp teaches cheerleading as one of its sports.

--------------------
Don't expect the expected
expect the unexpected
if you expect the expected
I expect you will remain unexpected.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Cheerleading is as much of a sport as golf. Take that as you will.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3117
Profile #6
Yep, sure is a sport. They have teams, yes? And they do compete against each other and it cheerleading does require a decent amount of physical activity and skill, soooo yeah i'd say its a sport.

--------------------
If your buddy is trying to hook up with a girl, you may sabotage him only in a manner that gives you no chances of getting any either.
-The Code

Pahk ya cah in hahvad yahd?? What ah ya? retahded?!

Can't figure out the other sex? Check out ladder theory!
[URL=http://www.laddertheory.com[/URL]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
How do you define sport? Some people say that car racing is a sport, and it clearly involves less physical activity on the part of the participants. Others claim chess is a sport, although all the exertion is mental.

quote:
From Merriam-Webster:Main Entry: sport
Function: noun
1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

According to that, cheerleading is a sport. It is a source of diversion, a physical activity presumably engaged in for pleasure, and certain people seem to consider it sexual play.

—Alorael, who doesn't particularly care if cheerleading is a sport or not. It's still a ridiculous practice that makes curling and golf look like sane ways to pass time.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #8
Golf aint that bad, curling is like hell on ice.
Do you guys really know the amount of physichal abuse rally drivers get when they race?
Rally drivers actually has to be top trained physical and tecnical, it aint no dance on roses i'l tell ya.

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #9
I prefer soccer.

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #10
As do I. And lacrosse. I don't consider cheerleading a sport any more than I consider hide and seek a sport, or playing an instrument, or chess.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #11
"Without sports, they'd just be dancers." -An ESPN poster I once saw. Cheerleading is not a sport, nor is boxing. I define a sport as something decided by a set of rules and someone to enforce them. This does not include judges. Boxing is decided by who the judges think boxed better. Cheerleading is decided by who the judges think had a better cheer routine (or who had more cleavage) What about football? The refs call penalties based on what the rules define as a penalty and their best judgement at the time. Judge?Judgement.

--------------------
No monkeyin' around at Chance :p

And that, my Leige, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped. -Sir Bedevere

It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #12
As "sport" is such a vague and broad term, I'm inclined to classify such activities as cheerleading, boxing, and figure skating as sports. Abhorrent and repulsive sports, perhaps, but sports nonetheless.

[ Wednesday, February 11, 2004 19:09: Message edited by: A Stughalfian Principle ]

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #13
Boxing has rules. It's why there are no longer 60 round bareknuckle fights and both contestants tend to survive. Ever heard of Queensbury rules?

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again