On the Reading of Books

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: On the Reading of Books
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #75
TV is annoying and a waste of time. I can read the news faster online and get the news I want easier, and everything else on TV is trash.

Of course, sometimes it's fun watching people beat other people up, but that's about it.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #76
I steer very clear of TV news, and watch only a select set of programs, along with some sporting events. The only time of the year in which a TV is indispensable for me is in March. Fail miserably yet again, Fighting Illini!

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #77
I don't watch TV much either.

I obviously read far slower than everyone else here. =\ Oh well.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #78
It takes me an hour to complete a Donald Duck-magazine.

And I watch a lot of TV. Especially at nights, when I should be sleeping. But that's just my parents' fault, for they gave me the machine.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #79
wtf the topic is books, not TV!

Once again the media triumphs ;_;

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #80
I watch anywhere from 0-30 minutes on the average day- namely, whatever's on right before I go to bed when I don't have enough time to be on the computer. (Usually Family Guy or Inuyashia or somesuch)

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #81
OMG OMG WE WENT OFF ON A TANGENT! HOW SAG, FERAN

I'm reading The Once and Future King, by T.H. White.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #82
I'm reading Winds of War for English, at the moment, and then Return of the King when that's done... then Shogun, again, probably... anyone read the first or last of those?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #83
HOW CAN YOU SAY TV IS CRAP WHEN ONE CAN ALWAYS WATCH SUCH MASTERPIECES AS "RICKY LAKE SHOW"???

IT MAKES ME PROUD OF BEING AN EUROPEAN I TELL YOU! HAH! I FEEL SOOO SUPERIOR!

first time I've used nothing but Allcaps. nice.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #84
THE FERRETS BELIEVE YOU HAVE YET TO MASTER THE ART

Also, I'd like to see a few more people delve a little bit deeper in their introspection and try and figure out the internal reasons for their literary preferences.

[ Monday, December 08, 2003 22:41: Message edited by: Stughalf ]

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #85
All right, I read beccause I'm an escapist. I still prefer books to TV, except possibly for some comedy. And even then, radio comedy tops them both.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #86
I prefer books; I like to imagine myself in imaginary situations, and I find that easier to do in books. And RPs, of course, but I can't curl up on a nice warm soft chair with my cat and role-play, unfortunately...

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #87
You could, but ferrets are so much better for that kind of thing.

I am also somewhat of an escapist, which explains my love for both fantasy and mystery novels, neither of which often have much reality to them. In addition, I'm a sucker for nearly anything that seems psychological, which is probably the reason for my gobbling up of novels like And Then There Were None and A Separate Peace. As I know next to nothing about real psychology, I also tend to go for works espousing junk psychology, as it's often a good deal more attractive than the real thing. My love for works which delve into the human mind and soul probably stems from my general inability to get into the minds of others, or even discern the effects of my actions on them. As I am well aware of this weakness, I often idolize those who possess, or seem to possess, such abilities in quantity.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #88
I can read psychology articles in science mags, and I can watch psychological movies (I actually find them very interesting). But psychological novels and fiction? No way.

The only thing I really watch regularly on TV is Corto Maltese, but unfortunately I miss it some times. I think, "Ok, I must remember Corto Maltese!” But then, whoops, it was done an hour ago! Bothersome stuff.

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Shock Trooper
Member # 3238
Profile #89
To stay a little on topic, I would like to ask a small question on a book. I'm reading The House of Thunder by Dean Koontz. What does everyone think of this book, if they have read it already? Thust far, it seems somewhat interesting, and am only at chapter 5, not even half way through the book.

So yeah. Answers?

--------------------
"Friendship is two things: Trust, and sharing. I personally see it as a business opportunity."
-Random Quote
Warrior
Member # 734
Profile #90
I have to admit to being another escapist. Nothing like escaping the daily grind and joining a world where I don't have responsibilites. I read about a book a day if I have time. Sci/Fi, fantasy, Mystery, General fiction. Favorite authors are way too many to list. I am currently reading McCaffrey (Anne & Todd), Lackey, Brooks, LLewelyn & Czerneda. Da Vinci's Daughter was a good read.

The classics are usually wonderful novels that have stood the test of time with a few unfortunate exceptions. Wuthering Heights is probably great for those who will eventually read SHUDDER Harlequin Romances.

Shakespeare is often a boring read but remember his plays were meant to be seen. I prefer his comedies to his tragedies though, especially A Mid Summer's Night Dream.

I only watch TV when I have to. Like when my son or boyfriend insists I watch a show with them.

I vaguely remember Shogun. Not a bad book. Clavel even did some research into the culture if I remember right. Its been a decade or so since I read that one.

[ Thursday, December 11, 2003 00:56: Message edited by: devlish ]

--------------------
Instant Human-Just add liberal doses of Coffee.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #91
I don't know about the House of Thunder, but Koontz is a bit overrated, really. It seems to me that every book he writes is the same in every aspect.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #92
I like psychology a bit, too, but for the opposite reason; I am actually quite good at manipulation and other stuff that requires delving into the human mind, as you put it. And before you start laughing, I mean in real life; I'm much better at it when it's in person =]

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Pages