Let the RPs die?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Let the RPs die?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #0
I don't want to let the RPs die, but if all anyone on here can do is argue with these intruders, and let the RPs go downhill, I am afraid I will have to withdraw my support on them. I came to this site for the express purpose to get help for games, help other people, and to have fun on the RPs. Since the arguments started, that fun has gone.

It seems that the arguments is all anyone is concentrating on. I find it rather annoying and felt I needed to say something, and say something soon before the arguments get out of hand. I am using these RPs to home in on my writing skills. However, if the arguments continue, the RPs will die for sure. I did my best to keep them alive, but with the arguments, there are very few new posts. It also becomes hard to tell if there are any new posts, as the arguments quickly replace them.

I really do not want to see the arguments take up more pages than the RPs. So let's please make an effort to purge them from the page and get the RPs going again.

Thank you for your time.

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Apprentice
Member # 3643
Profile #1
Have you ever considered that RPing for the sake of improvement of your own writing is a bad idea? All you're doing by attempting to keep them up with your posts is keeping the flaming topic in the air, instead of letting it crash down where it deserves to be. When an old and worn topic dies, it empties a slot the on the three RP limit and a new one can be started.

--------------------
Don't ask the Oracle unless you're willing to get the slurred drunken truth.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Well, you've got to use up those first million words somewhere.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
What's with the first million words?

Btw, Oracle, I too am using play-by-post in general as an exercise for writing, and as a source of inspiration. It really works.

Keeping RPs going past their expiration date is hopeless, but it only becomes so once you are the last person to have posted and it's off the first page of the board. That's my philosophy. So any time it gets close to the edge, I just post again. And, to be honest, RPs might not be the best thing in a board, but if there's a choice between flaming threads and RPs, give me the RP any day. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Let the RPs die_files/smile.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Hemingway once said that no matter what you do, the first million words you write will be crap.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Apprentice
Member # 3643
Profile #5
Ara, there's nothing wrong with that, it may just not be a good primary reason. Didn't mean to offend IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Let the RPs die_files/smile.gif)

--------------------
Don't ask the Oracle unless you're willing to get the slurred drunken truth.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #6
Yay! Only 237,846 more to go for me!

On topic, I agree with MSW. The board being overrun with complaining is worse than some bad RP's, which I don't believe these are. There aren't any massive flaming battles. The people involved are having fun. What other requirement should there be? If Mercenary or PE1 or anyone else thinks that WE need to entertain THEM for our posts to be worthwhile, they can just go get a spoon and EMA. If we're having fun without violating the CoC, then they should either stop complaining and learn to chill about things that really make no difference in the long run, or leave. Besides, pure negation is SO tired.

Now only 237,722 words to go!

--------------------
"... and approximately one sea turtle."
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #7
What about partial banning? Is that possible? For instance, if a member is vaguely annoying but not bannably so normally, but also ruins every RP he or she participates in, can't that member be banned just from that one topic? Or if they can't actually be banned, then at least completely ignored? I suggested the second idea when Zephyr first came here, but NaCN and several other members continued to respond to their posts, so it didn't work out. But maybe you should give it another shot. Unless it is possible to ban members from specific topics, in which case that should be done instead.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
Arguably, I have most likely written more than one-million words total. Of course many times (read as: AIM conversations), the level of articulation was and continues to be superfluous.

tl,dr version: big words take time

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

. . . I suggested the second idea when Zephyr first came here, but NaCN and several other members continued to respond to their posts, so it didn't work out.
Aah, but only OOC.

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Mission Ridge -- All Your Snow Are Belong to Us.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #10
Well, never mind the one million word thing. I did that while posting on "Around the Universe In However Long It Takes" and the first Zombie Attack RP. So I guess all my words count now. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Let the RPs die_files/tongue.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Let the RPs die_files/biggrin.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Let the RPs die_files/rolleyes.gif)

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Hemingway once said that no matter what you do, the first million words you write will be crap.
How does he explain the rest of his words?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
That is the best comment I've heard about Hemingway to this date, and I must say I completely agree. What he wrote is *definitely* more than 1,000,000. So it doesn't seem to apply there, or maybe it would have been a lot more words for him...

Or maybe he shot himself when he noticed his writing wasn't getting better even after the million. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Let the RPs die_files/tongue.gif)

[ Wednesday, November 05, 2003 22:20: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
Or maybe he shot himself because philistines outnumber thinking minds 10:1.

Although admittedly, by the nature of modernist litterature, suggesting suicide as a response to the rejection of one's work would be laughable. Though honestly, what's so bad with Hemmingway's work?

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
I'm not saying that what he wrote is actually crap, I just don't like his style of writing. I don't know why, it just seems unpleasant in a way. Tastes differ... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Let the RPs die_files/wink.gif) I have to admit, he's short and to the point. But he writes so pragmatically, so drily, I can barely stand it.

--------------------
---
---