will spidweb ever change?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: will spidweb ever change?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #25
Take it easy, nobody's accusing you of anything. I don't know that much about computers myself, and, it's really not a big deal.

And concerning driving lessons, I didn't think I would care that much about them. That was, before I really got behind the wheel. Nowadays, I consider driving very fun.

[ Tuesday, October 21, 2003 22:49: Message edited by: Ironweed ]
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #26
I didn't hear of Spiderweb games until early this year, when my daughter told me about Geneforge.

When I did hear about them, I didn't think "Oh wow, I'm such a loser because I didn't know about these games before". I thought "Wow, what cool games, thanks Faizah for telling me IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards will spidweb ever change2_files/smile.gif) . They'll even run on my computer!". (BTW, this was at a time when my mental health issues were affecting me so badly that I was in the middle of an 8 month period off work - optimism wasn't one of my strong points at the time.)

Does it really matter that you didn't hear of these other games until this week? Now you've heard about them you can go check them out and have some fun.

EDIT: Ironweed, I hate driving ... any chance you'll volunteer to be my chaffeur?

[ Wednesday, October 22, 2003 00:01: Message edited by: Kyna ]

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #27
The next logical step for Spiderweb is to move up to a full 3D engine. One that looks just like how Avernum or Geneforge look now, but actually is 3D, not "pretend".

It's a big one, but so was moving to isometric instead of 90 degree squares. I'm sure Jeff is up to it. Hell, he doesn't have to come up with his own equasion, there's heaps of good ones out there that are free-for-all.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, it can be locked at an aspect ratio (I'd prefer that), but I'd love to see camera pans and swing-arounds and maybe zoom? If Jeff does decide to do this, hell, I'm putting my hand up for beta testing right now! IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards will spidweb ever change2_files/biggrin.gif)

This is what I'd do anyway. Something like Morrowind or Baldur's Gate is utterly unfeasable.

Md.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Jeff lists as one of his major inspirations for Exile I the Might and Magic series, which have used a first-person view since forever. So Jeff deciding that a 3D game is a good idea isn't implausible; at the same time, one could suggest that if Jeff wanted to make a 3D game, he'd have done it by now.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #29
Not necessarily, Jeff has progressed his games a long way in graphical intensity. He's writing games for people who don't have top of the range cheese-graters (G5s). As soon as just about every Spidwebber has a computer that will acceptably run basic 3D routines, you can bet Jeff'll come up with the goods.

One has to remember the software dev creed: Try as hard as you can to keep the people who like your software happy; give up on the critics.

Md.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #30
I don't see why it has to be a decision between good graphics and good gameplay. I love good graphics, but they seem empty without a good game to go with them; similarly, I get tired of a good game with bad graphics after a while. A good game with good graphics would bring Jeff plenty of money; the only problem is the money during programming, so if BoA is a huge success with plenty of new customers each week, then I'd say he's got the perfect oppurtunity to make it big. If BoA isn't as big a success as hoped, there's still GF3, and then the one after that, etc. Basically, if Jeff has a surplus of time and money, he could make something great, for everyone.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Shock Trooper
Member # 431
Profile #31
I love the Exile graphics (maybe even more than the isometric ones). The game looks so nice with those graphics. I love them, I wish there were more games with that kind of graphics. I think those graphics are great (or I need glasses, you decide).

(I repeated the word "graphics" 4 times)

--------------------
GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY TOMATO!
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #32
Each in a separate sentence, so it's ok IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards will spidweb ever change2_files/smile.gif)

I really liked the original Exile's graphics. I was kind of disappointed when he changed them over to the newer more flashy ones.

Still, 3D would be cool.

Md.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #33
I love graphical games. It's just that they tend to suck in every other aspect than the graphics. SW games don't have good graphics, yet all the other parts of the games are good, or at least decent. Graphics graphics graphics.

I said it 5 times, but left one out. Sad.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Shock Trooper
Member # 431
Profile #34
I don't know why... 3D flashy graphics don't make a game to me... It's just that the graphics always have great defects. If you see them closely (like a wall) they're pixelated. And they tend to be too squarey. I know it's difficult to make good 3D, but 3D games... I don't know.... they just have something I dislike. Great 3D games that I like are "Omikron: The Nomad Soul" and "Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned". Their graphics are squarey and pixelated. But they're great. Maybe it's that I love simple but good quality stuff (and of course, I care for plots over graphics). And Spiderweb graphics have that (they're really detailed, you know?)

--------------------
GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY TOMATO!
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #35
FPS 3D engines have the problem of pixelation because they allow you to get very close to objects, like walls, etc.

Real Time Stratergy 3D engines usually have a maximum zoom level set, so you just make sure that the resolution at that zoom level is still ok. No worries.

Pages