Alorael

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Alorael
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #0
Quoting the code of conduct :
"Moderators can lock and delete topics as well. They should only use such powers on topics that violate the Code of Conduct. If they do perform such an action, they must either describe the topic's infraction on the Moderator Forum or actually move the topic there."

Three facts :
- "continue the story" is a topic wich started on 22/7/2003 - it was closed on 23/7/2003
- the last post on the moderator's board was made on 19/7/2003

Althought I think Alorael does a good job, the fact that he closed the "continue the story…" topic without sending informations to the moderator board bugs me.
I agree that it was to be closed but if moderators don't follow the code I will have a hard time trying.

Didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, guess it is hypergligaemia.
Thank you for reading.

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #1
quote:
guess it is hypergligaemia.
That might be an explanation.

The CoC does not state that the moderator board has to be informed immediately. Next time they meet will be early enough, don't you think so?

[ Tuesday, August 26, 2003 10:52: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
Eh, I insisted upon that, but we don't do it. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/tongue.gif)

Mod Board is typically used now for bug reports and, well, threads where we demand someone to be banned. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/tongue.gif)

[ Tuesday, August 26, 2003 11:04: Message edited by: Imban ]
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #3
"Moderators are expected to uphold the Code of Conduct"
"Any major transgression is to be reported on the "Moderators are not exempt from the Code of Conduct themselves. A minor infraction will result in a stern warning. A major transgression will result in probable revoking of his/her moderator status. Any two breaches of the Code of Conduct will certainly result in the removal of moderator status."

"What constitutes a major transgression for a moderator:
(…)
-Abuse of lock, delete, and move powers Moderator Forum, so all moderators and administrators can deal with the member""

An older version of the CoC stated :
"iii. If you have a problem with a moderator, please tell us about it. If we get multiple complaints, we will look into the situation and take action. "

I don't have any problem with Anorael and certainly don't want to see anyone banned. This topic was to be closed so there is no real point removing moderator's status.
I am just bugged.

thank you for reading.

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #4
Well, should you be seriously worried, consider informing Drakey that you do not agree with the way this board is led.

Though really..

[ Tuesday, August 26, 2003 11:27: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #5
Perhaps you should reread the topic So Incredibly Sad. It is nothing more than a bunch of spam.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
Perhaps you should read his post, Sullust; he perfectly agrees with it being locked, but as far as I can see he has some inner brueaucratic drive that prompts him to complain... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/tongue.gif)

I personally have no problem with definitely spamful threads (that was one) being locked without consultation of other mods, and I don't see it as an abuse of power. But that's just my opinion, and the CoC is of course more important. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/wink.gif) I'm just not going to complain about something like that.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #7
Basically, SIS, mods don't have to report their every action to Drakey. It's assumed they're responsible enough to decide what to do for themselves; that's why they're mods.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #8
I'm somewhat amused that he actually took the effort to note the dates. It's a wonder he didn't copy the screen with boards up as further evidence.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
Moderators on General are expected to judge for themselves which topics go too far into spamminess and lock if they deem appropriate.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #10
I don't think that he must send a messsage to drakey but rather make a post on the moderator's board, ef speaks of the next time they meet, then why a board ?
I didn't made screenshots has it won't have been useful to describe the situation.
I agree with the way this board is run and sure a moderator can close a topic without asking anyone but a post in the moderator's board would be good(even if it says nothing, at least we could see a new post is there IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/wink.gif) ).
Alorael has not made a major transgression because not reporting is listed neither as a minor nor as a major transgression but, theoricaly if a moderator close a topic every day without reporting why… we can complain to another moderator (hoping it is not a conspiracy of evil blademasters having taken Jeff hostage or being illuminated IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/tongue.gif) ).

Being back at 125mg/dl I see this topic as come to what seems an end and that it wasn't really worth much.

Thank you for reading.

Drakefyre is right and so was Alorael when he judged that this topic was to be closed, but a week later he hadn't send a post to say what it was to the moderator's board.

[ Wednesday, August 27, 2003 01:40: Message edited by: So Incredibly Sad ]

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #11
For goodness' sakes, he didn't need to post on the mod board explaining why the topic was locked. It's as clear as the nose on your face, if not slightly clearer. Now drop it!

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #12
CoC : "If they do perform such an action [lock a topic], they must either describe the topic's infraction on the Moderator Forum or actually move the topic there."
So he did have to even if it was clear why it was locked.
I agree that there isn't much to say now.

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #13
IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/rolleyes.gif) So you've said it. So this topic can come to a consensual close, perhaps?
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #14
SIS: because it was on GENERAL! that is why. it is sort of the whipping boy for misc.

Oh dear lords I just said whipping boy and misc in the same sentence. I may as well say inferno now... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/eek.gif)

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
X: Not before it has been reported on the Moderator Forum!! IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/tongue.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/tongue.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Alorael_files/tongue.gif)

[ Wednesday, August 27, 2003 07:30: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 3329
Profile #16
I have a question about Alorael.Is he still a mod?He has his old title back.

--------------------
Hello.Nice To Meet You.Call Me OM.Bye.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #17
Mods have their blademaster titles only in the forums they moderate. Outside of those the monikers show the custom titles.

--------------------
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
I am still a mod. I'm a bit scarce, since I'm traveling again, but I'm still around once in a while to lock topics without explanation.

I don't think any explanation has been given for locking a topic in a very long time. Despite what the CoC says, mods are chosen mostly because they are trusted to make good decisions on when to lock topics, so unless there's a problem no more needs to be said about it.

—Alorael, who would say a better solution than to add to the bureaucratic mess would be to take out the requirement. If a problem arises, by all means report it to all the moderators with the alert button and the matter will be discussed on the Mod Board.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #19
Personally I think that all the moderator who wishes to lock a topic should fill out a form. This must be then signed by all moderators, and then given a stamp of approval by the queen. Only then can the topic, which is by now is just burning, be locked.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #20
Okay So Increadibly Sad, we understand you are, well, sad, but what Alorael did is as much of a crime as picking up a penny off of the street. You have valid points it does not matter to people if moderators don't post on the moderating board thingie. They are big kids and can decide for themselves.

--------------------
All your base are belong to us!!!!
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #21
Some mods get jumped on for even the most minor transgression.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #22
After all the rules are there to be blatantly disobeyed, not bent.

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Warrior
Member # 3404
Profile Homepage #23
I have accepted the fact that these forums are a dictatorship long ago. So I really don't care anymore. I believe this topic is under spam, so can a mod please block this.

--------------------
"I am young, I am twenty years old:yet I know nothing of life but despair, death, fear, and fatuous superficiality cast over an abyss of sorrow." All QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.