D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) - Influences? Players? Opinions?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) - Influences? Players? Opinions?
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #25
"I don't see why he shouldn't. After all, we all have a right to our opinions and intererests/disinterests, no matter how odd they may be," said the man whose reading habits would, in most civilized circles, mark him as a direct threat to the gene pool.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #26
I don't think your friend would mind being "steral" if he had his DMs Manual, MimeTime.

Stop dishonouring Confusius and wasting vital bodily fluids with your reading there, *GC!

Odd schools banned D&D - I know prisons still do because because of mad evangelicals linking it to Satanism and the endtime, like rock music. I guess this was mainly because--as with rock music--their kids were more into it than all that Bible reading and prayer meeting, but D&D did rather ask for it, featuring devils and demons actually named from Christian mythology in the Monster Manual (basically a player hit list for experience chasers, rather than DM design tool in my own experience).

I quickly prefered Chaosium's RuneQuest (and later Call of Cthulhu) to D&D anyway - more flexible character development, more logical game systems, and more comprehensive background mythology, even if names for a lot of the monsters sucked.
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #27
Actually, one gripe I have about the new monster's manual is the fact that it features all sorts of creatures that resemble various aspects of a child's nightmares, and others that are just lame (Digester especially, that's just a dumb creature). And they have too many undead that get into an undead state under specific conditions, like "this creature becomes an EvilDoomMister if he was wearing a green cloak on a fine Saturday evening whilst strolling along a promenade when a skeleton lept at his throat screaming 'bloody red rum' and brandishing not two, but three spiked maces and a somewhat large bludgeon that must be made of six toothpicks and an owl."

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #28
I've never understood Call of Cthulhu. If I wanted a game whose gameplay can essentially be summed up as "run and hide while you still can", I'd play Paranoia.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #29
But you get six lives in Paranoia. Killing off the first four is half the fun.
And, ahem, Hoorj Paranoia!

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #30
I think people were into the horror genre and period settings for 'Cthulhu'. And the slapstick humour / satire potential with 'Paranoia', though all the note-passing in that made it pretty difficulty to DM + keep the flow of the game up.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #31
The point of Paranoia isn't the game. The point is either learning self-control and not throttling your DM if you're a player, or watching the players turn interesting colors as they struggle not to throttle you if you're the DM yourself.

—Alorael, who would say that the nice thing about computer RPG's is that they're dependable. A pencil and paper game can be much better, but it can also be much, much worse. You think Diablo is a boring hackfest? Try it when each hit takes a handful of dice and those mind-twisting calculations using variables that were banned by international treaty.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #32
Paranoia is great! I especially love mastering it, and it's great
anti-munchkin therapy too. There's even a novel about it called
'title deleted for security reasons'.

--------------------
Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heilighthum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder, was die Mode streng getheilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder, wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Pieter Simoons aka Radiant

Official Crystal Shard and SubTerra webpage
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #33
Galois was an arrogant little nutter with zero social skills.

I'll grant he put some interesting stuff in his writings, although he only provided the basis for group theory due to his being shot and he'd have had more if almost every paper he'd ever submitted hadn't been lost, but mostly Galois was just a bad shot.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #34
In many computer RPG players turn into "gros bill", saying they have the best items, skills and whatever.
In paranoia they have an opportunity to learn about the role-play part of these games. It's the hard way, but do they deserve any better ?

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #35
Ahh, I remember mastering Paranoia for a group once who hadn't heard of
it before. I told them beforehand that one of the might be a mutant or
in a secret society. Of course they all were, and some of them were clever
enough to realize this; but two guys did not, and thought they were the
special one, and tried all sorts of things in hiding it from the others. I can
still see the look on their faces when I told them... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) - Influences Players Opinions (2)_files/biggrin.gif)

(also there was a mutant detector helmet that all of them wanted to have
because they could be found out otherwise. Of course when one of them
finally put it on it detected the closest mutant at a range of zero meters,
then self destructed...)

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by MiMe-TiMe:

quote:
Originally written by Sir Motrax of College Applications:

And in my D&D group, there are no power gamers. We meet once a month, or a bit less frequently, and don't think about the game in between. It's just a fun little social gathering.

Ah, there are many a DnD player who could take a lesson from you. DnD rots your mind if you're not careful. One of my exfriends played DnD at school where it was out lawed by the teachers. So to escape the teachers they played on the floor of the boys bathroom. Obsesive? One day he came up to me and began telling me something about this great new sword he found behind a Gorkion Blaknar with a Sutmer Betroit infused in it (or something along those lines, I don't know, I don't speak loser). I kneed him so hard he now steral. So you see, if you let meaningless, mindless gaming run your life, You get whats coming do you. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) - Influences Players Opinions (2)_files/rolleyes.gif)

Power gamers? What are those?

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ugnagnok
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #37
Munchkins query, "What's a munchkin?"

(sorry, couldn't resist).
http://www.liacs.nl/~psimoons/munchkin.htm

--------------------

Pages