Drawbridges-Free Combat RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Drawbridges-Free Combat RP
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #25
They should also count as magic if its Avernum/Exile based. I mean Wizzards are inmune to magic, thus they are also inmune to fireballs and ice bolts...right?

If you dont have fire and ice spells count as both Magic and Element like in the Exile/Avernum games then Id recomend you allow magic-like abilities such as acid spit, sleeping clouds..ect have the chance just as ice and fire bolts to damage magic inmune monsters...It would be the logical step to keep game balance.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #26
In Exile, fireball and ice bolt do damage magic-immune creatures. Paralysis will not, because it is blocked by magic immunity innately in the Exile engine, while fireballs and heat rays are only blocked by fire immunity. This is why magic immunity costs so much more in the ruleset.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #27
Ok, thanks for clearing that point. Now I shall procede to build my character.

EDIT: Ok, this is my character.

=Nazgul, the Avenger.=

Type: Undead (Wraith)

Level: 8 (80)
Health: 95 (95)
Skill/Melee: 15 (75)
Attacks: 20d4 (100)
Speed: 8 (130)
Poison: 7 (20)
Mage Rank: 2 (15)
Resistance & Inmunities: MfcP (85)

Background Story: Long lost his true name in the dephs of the netherworld this man was once one of the lengendary Royal Guards of the Darubian Empire, now nothing but a vage memorie in the minds of erudites and the oldest of elders. This damned soul wonders the world of the living in hopes of finding the cause of his condemnation and hopefully rest in piece once and for all.

for image clic here.
Nazgul

Description: This Wraith wears nothing but some filthy cloathing, a pair of black boots, black gloves and a long black cloak, these items give no protection whatsoever as they are used only to cover his undead features.

[ Friday, July 18, 2003 18:20: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #28
EDIT: Darn, I double-posted.

-E-

[ Friday, July 18, 2003 14:53: Message edited by: Omlette ]

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #29
Although I'll probably muck up badly, here's my character attempt too:

Name: Dingbat the mysteriously intelligent Lizard
Type: Reptile.
Level: 5 (50)
Melee: Skill=10 (40)
Attacks: 20d1, 20d1, 20d1 (120)
Speed: 9 (190)
Poison rank 8 (32)
Immunity: m-cP (24)
Health=104 (104)
Dingbat is a lizard who was cast out of his home because he was too intelligent, and indisted on trying to learn the human language. Having mastered this, he is trying to integrate into human society, so far unsuccessfully...

Is that any good?

-E-

[ Saturday, July 19, 2003 13:04: Message edited by: Omlette ]

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #30
I can only pick 1 special ability total?

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ugnagnok
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #31
Yep, only one...I didnt like that either(sp?). The worst thing is mage and priest spells already count as an ability. So you cant have both, or have one of those and freezing touch for instance. IMAGE(Drawbridges-Free Combat RP (2)_files/frown.gif)

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #32
Wait, hunh? Where does it say that?

The "only one special ability" rule applies to abilities you give monsters in the "Advanced" monster editing screen. There's a limit to one, because it's 100% to have two.

EDIT: Omlette, your design is fairly good. A few pointers...

20 Skill is completely unnecessary. Trash it.
8 Speed is unnecessary. Lower it to 5/6 or raise it to 9/10.
8 poison is unnecessary. A monster can only be "filled" with 8 poison at max at any one time, so poison 3 would give them their limit. The rest above 3 is a waste.
You'll probably want magic-immunity.

All in all, not awful. At least it's better than Nazgul's. Nazgul, I have a few suggestions for you:

Mage 2 is awful. Drop it. There has never been a monster with mage 2 that did well. Ever.
A mage/bruiser won't work. Either drop the attacks (he'll never use them) or drop the mage skill.
Speed 8 is unnecessary.

[ Friday, July 18, 2003 20:56: Message edited by: Doctor Wu ]

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #33
Thanks for the pointers. I've kept poison high because I still fully poison them if I hit only once, and also because I get poison immunity for 5 points.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #34
I suppose I could join, on second thought.

=Runeshaper Oubu=
Priest
80 Health
Level 10
Priest 7
Speed 12
Special: Heat Ray
Immunities: ----
Background: Human, Vantanasian. Dark olive skin, member of an order devoted to the protection of the native religions of Vantanas. Capable of creating runes from mundane materials; tends to favor parchment and ink, of which he has a great supply. Also capable of putting enchantments on objects to various ends, and of rudimentary combat magic without the runes.

[ Friday, July 18, 2003 23:49: Message edited by: General Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #35
I'll buy 6 levels of Melee (Skill), leaving me with 1 skill point saved.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #36
Custer, Mrs. Potato challenges you to a duel. IMAGE(Drawbridges-Free Combat RP (2)_files/rolleyes.gif)

Mage and priest do not count as abilities - I have mage skill and absorb spells.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #37
In defense of my character I will say he is a defensive character. As you may have seen he is inmune to Magic and Poison and resistant to cold and fire. Thus, it is unlikely that he would receive much damage besides those that come from fisical attacks wich he could handle decently due to a fair amount of speed and skill. Besides as an undead I can take lethal damage and survive for a while. I also keep the attack because its the only way I can give the poison a good reson. It is a good weapons as you stated before, I could just hit-poison an oponent move away and web him. All I do then is wach as he slowly dies HAHAHA!!

To justify high speed I would say its mainly to reduce cold resistance cost and to always have in consideration the posibility to run away IMAGE(Drawbridges-Free Combat RP (2)_files/biggrin.gif) . Also, good speed may help to use a hit-poison-web-run move.

Also I would like to point out that while week in attack my creature is strong in defense. So eventualy as I gain more exp. points I should be able to even up attack and defense and build up a solid character, maybe saving up for lvl 3 magic or more skill and speed.

BTW, could you clear me out that more than one special ability point?

This is what your text said...
quote:

Note that some of the abilities listed below are described as "special abilities": a creature may have no more than one such ability (but it is not required to have any special ability at all).

BTW, know of any place where I may see the old level 1 to level 7 Exile spells?

[ Saturday, July 19, 2003 07:17: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #38
Nazgul, I can't say your existence will make the party lose per se, but I'd hardly call it a great contribution. If you want to try it, wait for season XIV of the Arena and submit it then.

EDIT: Omlette, I said 20 skill was unnecessary. Of course, I'd hardly go with less than 10. Sorry for giving you the wrong idea. IMAGE(Drawbridges-Free Combat RP (2)_files/tongue.gif)

[ Saturday, July 19, 2003 07:16: Message edited by: Doctor Wu ]

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #39
Oh...so...I have...been rejected from the party...well, thats no surprise...snif, I will just go this other way and give myself to the Empire, snif, in hopes that they end my misery...after all, snif, no one cares for a poor tormented soul.

A last point about Level 2 magic and why my services could be needed. I find these spells quite usefull for the party considering we are fighting bandits and most of these spells are abilities that cost quite some exp. points.

-Minor Haste.
-Strength.
-Identify.(Great Spell!!)
-Scry Monster.(Usefull)
-Goo (Explained its usefullness before.)
-True Sight (Usefull to find secret passages for the party.)
-Minor Poison (Using it repeatedly, say 3 times, on a target causes serious damage. Although it kinda useless for a poison hitting creature like mine.)
-Flame (Decent damage to weak creatures like the bandits we are facing now.)
-Slow ( Usefull on 1 on 1)
-Dumbfound (GREAT SPELL!! use it once and spells from lvl 4-7 will be disabled. Twice and the enemy spell caster is out of casting combat.)
-Envenom (May help the party, poisoning their weapons before a big combat)
-Stinking Cloud (Almost as good as Mass Curse if used wisely).
-Summon Beast (May gain you some time).
-Conflagoration (Neat, not very harmfull but very cool looking. Nice adition to RP.)
-Dispel Field.
-Sleep Cloud.(Usefull if used in close cuartes. Open a bandit barrack and in goes the Sleep cloud. Also neat for party stealth missions, nice adition to RP.)

Useless Spells:
-Light (you could just use a candle)
-Spark(You could just insult the enemy and it would probably hurt more.)
-Flame Cloud. (To ignite some closed location, like a corridor deep in a bandit hidout for instance. Sometimes keeps enemies from passing. But generaly its useless)
-Scare. (More usefull to have RP fun realy than practical use in combat, besides an undead should be able to do this naturaly.)

EDIT: Besides Mrs. Potato is the only mage you have and he is only lvl 3!!

[ Saturday, July 19, 2003 07:58: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #40
If you think Mage 2 is incredibly valuable, please submit to Season XIV.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #41
FINE IMAGE(Drawbridges-Free Combat RP (2)_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #42
Nazgul, these monsters are all controlled by the AI of Blades of Exile. This AI is not good at all, and hence only mage levels 3 or 7 are recommended. With priests, only levels 6 or 7. The AI can't cast the proper spells with other levels, and the spells that it does cast, while okay for use against the PCs, is not good against other monsters, which is what this RP will use.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #43
OHHHhh...you should have explained that earlier IMAGE(Drawbridges-Free Combat RP (2)_files/rolleyes.gif) . I didnt know that, sorry for all the trouble. Then I guess I wont play this game. Besides you already have enough players.

--------------------
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #44
Actually, Priest 5 and Mage 4 are tolerable, and I maintain that Priest 7 is still pretty useless, as it tends to cast Revive All at the start of every match instead of doing something useful.

Also, I don't see what TM's problem with high skill is. 20 may be a bit excessive (although never missing is useful,) but 15 is definitely good.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #45
Right, I've made my final edit, and I think my character's ready to join in.

Oh, and can I have a second? I've designed the perfect monster for the Arena, only to be informed by Drakey that the rules will change before I get a chance to use him...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #46
How about mine?

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Warrior
Member # 3232
Profile Homepage #47
Here is my character:

Name: Phynex the Liche
Type: Undead
Level:6 (60)
health: 49 (49)
Speed: 12 (270)
Mage: 7 (200)
Magical immunity (0)
Cold immunity (21)

Phynex's skelital frame is draped with a neon orange robe which is tattered, frayed and threadbare. He carries an iron staff and wears an iron crown set with stones of onyx, hematite, and obsidian. The only thing that keeps his bones from crumbling to dust is the spells he keeps on them. Unfortunately, any armor besides the robe would disrupt these spells. After his dungeon was destroyed by some pesky adventurers he vowed that he would find and kill them. Now he does odd jobs while traveling the empire in search of vengance.

--------------------
-Phynex, Dark Strategist

Never let morals get in the way of doing what's right
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #48
Drakey? Priest 5 works as well.

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #49
Phynex, magic immunity does not cost zero for you. It should cost 36.

--------------------
====
====

Pages