Philosophies

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Philosophies
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #50
Is it bad for you? I don't understand IMAGE(Philosophies (3)_files/confused.gif)

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #51
Not bad, just a bit embarrassing, somehow. Meaning I find it's a bit much.

--------------------
Polaris
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #52
Over-done? Too-much work? Geeky?

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #53
This topic is going way too fast for me, that's what I like about smaller boards... anyway, stranger, calm down, but I guess that's a bit late since I'm refering to your post right after mine. As for no God as we think of God, well, that depends on how we think of God... I mean, if you think of a Zeus'like character, basically a super-human, then no, of course not. My wiew of God is far from that, however, so I can't really agree or disagree, since I don't know what, exactly, you are talking about.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #54
It means ef values quality over quantity. I have less posts, despite long association with the board. Many rpers have a huge amount of posts where they say little constructive. Some others with huge numbers, like Saunders and Drakey, have the numbers due to activity and posting on the help boards.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #55
Yeah, you post about as much as I do, so you've been here longer, and have only a few more posts.

God exists in that people act certain ways.
People go to church to worship God. Their prayers only get answered in their own heads but their God exists - if one of those people acts a certain way because they "talked with God" then this explains it: no God said anything to this person, but that God still exists, because that person believes in that God.
So...Gods exist if people truly believe in them, since if that God didn't exist (which it doesn't) there is no final way to disprove the God's existence, except accepting it.
I respect other people's faith, I write "God" with a capitol letter because I actively try to respect their views. You could say that God exists because of my trying to respect those other people. You could say God exists within those people and those people in turn are affecting the way I act, so in short, He is affecting me, and so He exists.
I believe God exists. He exists within fewer than 6 billion known people, within those people he is different to every individual as everyone's perceptions are different.
If everyone who was religious on this earth worshipped a single God, there would be fewer than 6 billion Gods on this earth.
I have to leave for a moment...

--------------------

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #56
I think that in effect, everyone believes in a different god, even those with the same religion. Everyone has a slightly different perception of God, according to his or her own needs and ambitions; so a peace-lover would see God as forgiving and gentle while a war fan would perceive God as vengeful - and both viewpoints can be supported with the Bible due to its ambiguity, or almost any religious book for that matter.

The differences in perception are only slight at first, so there are no real problems. When they become too obvious, the religion splits up - usually violently and bloodily - into several parts, like the Lutheran reformation: Everyone adheres to the fragment that is most similar to his or her own perception of God, and then things are quiet for some time before more differences become obvious. Religion is a brittle, easily splitting thing, and that's why there have been so many religious wars.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #57
That is a very familiar line of thinking for me. Though if you go on with it, it leads you close to solipsism. The link Felwynne gave on that was also by a german guy. Do we feel drawn to that?

--------------------
Polaris
Apprentice
Member # 2810
Profile #58
I believe that there is no ultimate or final truth to anything.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #59
I agree three times.

--------------------

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #60
Well, there is an old story of a Persian king that asked his viziers to come up with a sentence that would always be true. After some deliberation, they came up with:
"This, too, shall come to pass."

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #61
I think that was Hannibal, or possibly Septimius Severus, although it's one of those quotations that's horribly over-attributed.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #62
Ahh, then I disagree, stranger. But I don't have the time to explain my view of Him now... if this subject is still being discussed tomorrow I probably will have time then.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #63
I can't express myslef very well, so I might mean something different.

--------------------

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Bob Mk2:

I think that was Hannibal, or possibly Septimius Severus, although it's one of those quotations that's horribly over-attributed.
I'm terrible with attributions, but I was reasonably certain that one came from the Thousand and One Nights. But I wouldn't swear to it.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #65
quote:
Originally written by RentBoy:

"This, too, shall come to pass."

Actually, that was in Resident Evil 2. In the beginning of the game, after the gun shop, look around the basketball court if you have the game. It's there. Tons of wierd graffitti in the game. I don't know who originally quoted this btw.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ugnagnok
Warrior
Member # 3232
Profile Homepage #66
My philosophy comes in three segments

1. Never let morals get in the way of doing what is right. I percieve 'what's right' to be whatever is best for the human race as a whole. A cure for a disease is worth the lives of those who would have died because of it. I would sacrifice the lives of a thousand people if a thousand and one would live instead. The worth of a technology is how many lives would be positively effected by the development of that technology. I would sacrifice half the humans on the planet including myself and my family for a viable form of faster than light travel. Faster than light travel would open vast area to settle and incredible recources. It would be more than worth the trade off.
2. perception and thus logic is inherently limited. for example: prove, from earth that the moon has another side to it. You cant because you have to go there and see it. You can logicaly reason that since the moon has one side then it must have another, however you only percieve the moon as having a near side. The moon might be an optical effect. But you would reason that the moon causes the tides! Wich is an example of cause and effect. Cause and effect is inherently flawed because you dont know which causes wich. Either way might be flawed because both effects might come from a different cause. The tides might cause the moon, or both could be the effects of disruptions in the earth's magnetic field, causing a slight bending of space wich would refract light and have a slight gravitational effect. You never know. You can therorize about the nest in the tree all you want but to be sure you have to climb the tree. Similarly my sacrifices in the first part of my philosophy were made blindly. There is a chance that among the half of the humans i sacrificed there was one who would have invented faster than light travel if left to him or herself. Similarly, one of the ones I sacrificed might have become a mad scientist and made a doomsday weapon that destroyed all life on earth. I may have made either a supremely stupid decision, sacrificing half the world for nothing or a supremely smart one in saving half the world and getting interstellar travel. Eventualy it all comes down to perception of the individual.
3. "God" is merely an abstraction of human thought. If someone percieves that there is a God and acts in it's name then it is as if that God actualy did that action. Thus those who belive in a god may influence the world in the way that god would have wanted if it existed separate from the conciousness of sentient biengs. Gods only exist as long as there is evidence of the involvement of thier ideas in human works and gods only have power through those who percieve them. Thus each goal is like a god. Anyone with a goal has a god but each person has thier own perception of what that goal is and how to reach it.

--------------------
-Phynex, Dark Strategist

Never let morals get in the way of doing what's right
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #67
I think Lincoln got there before Resident Evil 2, Firedrake - it was included in his presidential acceptance speech when the slavery / union question pressed a tad too hard on him. As to which 'Persian king', I expect he was a relative of the 'old Chinese' whose sayings we encounter proverbially in more recent times.
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #68
What is right though? Something that is right to one person may be considered wrong by another. Just look at the middle east. We think their ideals are wrong and they think ours are wrong.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ugnagnok
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #69
The big question is there absolute wrong and right? Is it all gray? If it is all gray or completely subjective, then all conflicts are moral from their own sides. If there is in fact absolute morality, then the wars can be immoral.
When faced by either of those questions, you have to decide whether or not it is relative morality or your interpretation of absolute morality.

--------------------
I am not really here.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #70
Absolute morality, it seems plain to me, does not exist. It evolved with us and later with religion, to draw up the standards which were best for the community. Everything is subjective. We are not computers. We were not meant to be objective. Thuryl excepted.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Warrior
Member # 3232
Profile Homepage #71
Of course there is no absolute morality. Morality is based on the perception of the individual, which changes throughout life and is different for every person. If there were an absolute morality everyone would tend twoard that and always would have. Since things have changed completely many times throughout time then we know that there is no absolute morality.

--------------------
-Phynex, Dark Strategist

Never let morals get in the way of doing what's right
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #72
To have absolute right and wrong, there must only be one true god, one true religion. I highly doubt there is such, since religion is created by man and is defined differently for each individual.

--------------------
Let the soul trading begin.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #73
I have only one issue with your post, and that is your assumption that if there were a God, there could also be an absolute morality. What gives any one being, even an omnipotent one, the right to dictate what is moral? Morality is a matter of one's definition of what is right, and not even God can force us to accept a definition without compromising our existence as independent minds.
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #74
But if there is a god, we can never be truly independent since that god would be able to influence us and the world(or else they wouldn't be a god).

--------------------
Let the soul trading begin.

Pages