hello everybody

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: hello everybody
Apprentice
Member # 3184
Profile #0
well hi,

um, i'm 13, live in cambridge, ontario, new here (no!), adore the avernum series but don't have enough money to register it, and, i was just wondering if anybody here could sorta show me the ropes, you know, tell me who to avoid, what rules to _make sure_ i follow, ecetera. I find a board usualy has its own little community type thing, and i want to make sure i'm properly integrated. IMAGE(hello everybody_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
just a nosferatu girl
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #1
Welcome to SW!
After reading the FAQ (link in top right corner of screen) and the CoC (code of conduct link on forum home), you should wait for someone helpful like Alorael to post something here.

[ Monday, July 07, 2003 16:12: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Well, I'm here, but I have no great wisdom to impart. Just try to polite and friendly and ignore the occasional angry person here.

—Alorael, who is always happy to see a new face... or name, anyway. Just remember to leave your sanity at the door.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1892
Profile #3
Wisdom from the wise: Spell Alorael's anme right and don't copy his signiture (too much). Also, Click on my links.

[ Monday, July 07, 2003 17:17: Message edited by: I wield the Hammer ]

--------------------
Share this Dragon
If you do,
Then Lucky End
For them and You
-----------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
—Alorael, whose addiction is going strong. The nice thing about liquid skribbane extract is that it's far more concentrated. It only takes a few gallons to get his fix, whereas chewing leaves would take forever. Literally.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fall under the shadow
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #4
Cambridge is only a 2 hour drive away. hmm... IMAGE(hello everybody_files/tongue.gif)

anyway, welcome to the boards!

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #5
Oh dear. Ignore the rampant flaming going on right now; we're in the middle of a bit of a nasty conflict. It'll be over soon.

I'm Mangophobia, but most people around here call me RoR, or the Grammar Wench. Watch your grammar, so I don't have to decapitate you with my Glistening Scythe of Correct Grammarness. Just remember--"your" is possessive, "you're" is a contraction for "you are," same goes for "their" and "they're," and "its" and "it's," and you should be fine.

EDIT: Always nice to see another female member, too. We wenches are few and far between on these boards.

[ Monday, July 07, 2003 18:35: Message edited by: Mangophobia ]

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #6
Welcome to Spiderweb! Unfortunately, these are troubled times for the boards and many normally decent members have been acting completely off their rockers– if you take my meaning. So basically try not to take things to seriously, don't take insults personally, think before you post, and generally try to be coherent. Judging from your post though, this shouldn't be to hard.

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Mission Ridge -- All Your Snow Are Belong to Us.
Apprentice
Member # 3084
Profile #7
Greeness, as I said to Ouxe in the “Hello … questions” thread: from one relative newcomer to another, welcome!

Here are a few things that I’ve observed during my short time here…

General advice:
— Read the Code of Conduct for the boards.  There’s a lot of good net etiquette in there, for these boards and others. Specifically:
— Double posts (two posts by the same author in the same thread, one right after the other), are discouraged.
— Posts should stay reasonably on-topic.

Now, some observations:
— Some members change their nicknames more often than most people change their underwear … keeping track of who’s who is sometimes a challenge. IMAGE(hello everybody_files/tongue.gif)
— Nearly everyone here is extremely intelligent … I don’t know why they let me in. IMAGE(hello everybody_files/wink.gif)
— Because of all this volatile, rampaging intelligence, many here are rather … opinionated.
— As a result, be aware of when it’s safe to dive into an argument between old rivals (that is, “rarely, if ever”), and know when to keep your distance from the flame wars (“always” is probably a safe bet IMAGE(hello everybody_files/smile.gif) ).

As Mangophobia wrote, however, this is generally a very friendly place … the topic just needs to be anything except real-world politics. IMAGE(hello everybody_files/biggrin.gif) This is a great group of people with whom to share ideas.

Most of all, have fun!

(Finally, for the record, I'm not usually one to throw around the smileys; I just thought that a welcome thread deserved a bunch of them. IMAGE(hello everybody_files/cool.gif) ) [EDIT, for Uranium Monk below: thanks.]

[ Tuesday, July 08, 2003 03:44: Message edited by: Churl ]
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #8
RoR: You should come to Desp, where over a third of the active population is female.

Welcome to greeness!

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #9
[shameless advertising]
Good points Churl, you are clearly an observant person.
And BTW, if you ever want to use some cool gremlins, you can find them at E-master's gremlin page. Check it out. [/shameless advertising]

[ Tuesday, July 08, 2003 18:34: Message edited by: Uranium Monk ]

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #10
Hello, welcome to Spiderweb! I'm also new, just joined about 1-2 weeks ago.(look at date I joined in profile for exact date) Just be polite, try not to use chat-talk.(using "ur" for your, and "2" for too,to, and two, or using "4" for for.) You know, the works. Don't go crazy with the Graemlins.(they look fun but people hate seeing too many in one post) Most importantly, HAVE FUN!! Thats what we're all here for. Message me if you ever need help with something. If I can't help, I can find someone who can. I have tons of info for Avernum 3 and Geneforge. (just look at all of my posts in there!)Anyway, have fun! IMAGE(hello everybody_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Join it and get me some cash, and have fun!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #11
Oh, and try the shift key. The little button under the one you press when you want to yell at somebody? On the left side.

EDIT: Actually, it's on the right side as well.

And since I'm editing this anyway, I would like to take up RoR's spirit and congratulate greeness on her level of coherence. It is quite pleasant to see, ergo I tip my hat, sunshine.

Please note that my writing conventions leave much to be desired themselves, and that this post was written in a moment of annoyance.

But the point remains the same. Please use the shift key.

[ Tuesday, July 08, 2003 09:36: Message edited by: Nye ]

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #12
So, is this going to be one of those hello threads where the person introducing themselves never ever posts again and we just squabble on endlessly about what we'd like to see in a message board? 'cause it sure looks like that.

And, yes, RoR, do join Desp. Djur needs a harem so he can pine some more.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Mangophobia:

Oh dear. Ignore the rampant flaming going on right now; we're in the middle of a bit of a nasty conflict. It'll be over soon.

I'm Mangophobia, but most people around here call me RoR, or the Grammar Wench. Watch your grammar, so I don't have to decapitate you with my Glistening Scythe of Correct Grammarness. Just remember--"your" is possessive, "you're" is a contraction for "you are," same goes for "their" and "they're," and "its" and "it's," and you should be fine.

EDIT: Always nice to see another female member, too. We wenches are few and far between on these boards.

DOon lisen to her
Me is dolney welder of flamin sord of bd gramr

--------------------
Ohh YEAH!!!
--------------------
My god could kick you god's ass.
--------------------
Getapc
--------------------
Teh Flamin sworrd of bd gramer has now become the Flaming Sword of not perfict grammer.
--------------------
Worning not perfict grammer behind.
--------------------
DOLNEY HAS CHANGED TO A guy with not so perfict grammer
--------------------
I shortened my sig.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Dolney:

DOon lisen to her
Me is dolney welder of flamin sord of bd gramr

Don't talk like this <3 and you'll be fine.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

occasional angry person
You're a funny guy, Alorael =]

Welcome, greeness. First off, your name is awesome, though I can't figure out why. Second, (all the stuff said above), with an emphasis on the CoC and good writing. Third, if you are hit by one of my stray arrows or flames or whatever, sorry, in advance. Ummm the rest is up to you, as long as you're not an idiot I'm sure you'll be fine. And even if you are, actually. Hmm... forget that last bit then. IMAGE(hello everybody_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Coherence and adherence to my CoC (that's Code of Conduct) are the most important things. I'm the active administrator here, but I'm not too harsh. Welcome.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3184
Profile #17
Wow. People post faster here than I would have guessed. Thank you very much, everybody, for your advice and welcome, and I will try to post accordingly (watch my shift-key usage, Nye!!). I have read the Code of Conduct, and there's nothing I'd do anyway - save, perhaps, profanity - so I'm fine in that area. Again, I appreciate your welcome and the level of intelligence seemingly maintained here.

P.S. - You shouldn't expect this level of eloquence from me most of the time. IMAGE(hello everybody_files/wink.gif)

--------------------
just a nosferatu girl
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #18
Oh, yes, we should. *hefts Scythe menacingly*

Nah, just kidding. Good grammar is all I ask, and you don't seem to have any problems there.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Apprentice
Member # 3196
Profile Homepage #19
welcome greeness. everyone here is crazy, except for me, and I'm always right. Everyone else says this about themselves, but they are lying.

I am one of those that changes the name constantly. In this case I have also changed my number, but that is another story and will never happen again. I can easily be identified by my prolonged absences, and my member number, 87.

people here are proud of their obscure knowledge, so test them on it.

welcome.

--------------------
Tip of the Day #4: Some monsters should just be left alone. (BoE helpfile)

That is completely normal.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #20
Hi, I'm TGM, I'm one of the most annoying and disliked members of the boards, though no one admits it. Welcome! Have fun. Avoid me.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #21
Just ignore the "Everybody hates me! Waaaaa!" crap from TGM. Provided that it was, in fact, TGM and not an impersonator. Besides the strange paranoia (which has little, if any supporting evidence) he's alright.

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #22
Greetings! Welcome to the boards for the first time. I happen to be one of those members who goes away for awhile, then comes back. I hope to see/hear more of you on the boards.

--------------------
Let the soul trading begin.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #23
Uh, Sodium, who would like to impersonate me? IMAGE(hello everybody_files/wink.gif)

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #24
I have to admit, for a moment I was tempted.
And we are the FFF, Finnish Freedom Force!

--------------------
Saundersw3: And bitter is better!

Pages