Mac users REALLY ought to see their website right about now...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Mac users REALLY ought to see their website right about now...
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #25
Ask Alorael. He uses Virtual PC.

[ Wednesday, June 25, 2003 08:47: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
Different games will work to different degrees, and I have seen newer versions of VPC work much better than the one I have. It's not predictable. I can get Starcraft to run fine, but SubTerra wouldn't work at all. VPC isn't made for games, and I saw somewhere that they specifically recommend depending on it for them, but it will work.

—Alorael, who didn't get VPC to run games. That it does at all is just a nice extra. It's also a very expensive program. If you don't need it for other reasons, you probably shouldn't get it for games.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #27
Since your game machines are not high-end, VPC will not have performance issues, but some games will run and others won't. And the iMacs are great. I have one, and I love it.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #28
I am looking, slowly of course as I want a good deal, to replace the low end pc that I have. I would still have a pc to play the games on anyway. Since the new pc would be the "main one" that we use for internet, scanning, photo stuff (I understand macs are best for this anyway) would mostly be used by my wife, how hard is it to transition to the new o/s? I started with DOS then windows. Tried Linux a couple times but too much tinkering is involved. Is OSX a unix like o/s?

I guess I could go to the local Apple store... Appreciate any advice though as to the most practical offerings they would have.

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #29
Really, you don't have to touch the Terminal at all in Mac OS X. I haven't needed to in the year and some months that I've had my iMac. It's very graphically oriented and a completely different experience from Windows. There are a lot of programs for switchers run by apple, and transition is supposedly very easy, especially with some of the tools and PDFs Apple includes. The Apple Stores also help a lot with getting you started, and you can go in and play around to see if you like it before you buy.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #30
Since quite a few advertisement agencies and corporations over here have ceased to use Macs in their graphic departments the difference in the quality of graphic and photo work cannot be pronounced any more.

But then, Macs have never been much in use outside of those dapartments anyway. Over here, that is.

--------------------
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #31
Where's "over here", ef?

G5 looks cool.

Was there ever a G1 or G2? Did they exist?

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #32
By "over here", I'm assuming ef means Deutschland. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Most people nowadays that I know are switching to PCs due to price and the more open market- Apple parts are made exclusively by Apple, and a functional mouse for a Mac costs more than a functional mouse for a PC of some sort. Now, even the school I go to is switching platforms. (Of course, the Macs they had were old iMacs, and were hardly functional in any aspect of the word.)

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #33
Price is the biggest reason I hesitate. I can pick up 2 pc's at the computer show for the price of a mac as I buy them "bare bones" because I already have o/s at home. I inquire about macs but I am not sure I'd get one no matter how nice they may be mostly due to price and availability (the computer show even has big signs stating "no macs/mac supplies").

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #34
Macs have a lot of staying power - I used a Quadra 610 for 8 years.

G1 was the first generation of Macs, which used the 680x0 processor. The G2 line contained all of the Macs from the 4200 to the 9600 and many Performas and were used exclusively during the crazy naming and tumultuous times between Sculley and Jobs.

--------------------
====
====
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #35
My G2 still works perfectly fine, though I use this G3 a lot more because it's newer and better looking. The people at the Apple store near me are always extremely helpful, I'd suggest going there if you're thinking about it. As for the price... well, it's really too bad they're so expensive, but you just have to sacrifice money for quality, I guess. I've never used e-bay but a friend of mine who never has problems with his computers, which have always been Macs, seems to get a lot of stuff from there... and I suppose with the G5 coming out, you may be able to get an iMac for a good price...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #36
I actually work in graphics production (illustrator/photoshop/quark/etc), and have done it on both platforms. I still find macs superior to pcs, mainly because of windows. I found windows to be slower, buggier, and more prone to crashing than any mac os.

As for memory, most of our machines have 256MB of RAM, which is barely enough. The ones dedicated to book production (running Quark) have 512MB, and that, too, is cutting it close. It seems that the complexity and size of images keeps apace the unending increase in RAM capability (come on, 8 GB of RAM, that's four old-school Cray supercomputers put together!!!)

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #37
You'd think the creators of the world's fastest computer wouldn't have to lie about it.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #38
I ran an interesting test today, although it wasn't very detailed. I copied a folder containing 100k of Excel files on a Mac to a PC. Lo and behold, the folder began to take up 14.4 megs. Go figure.

—Alorael, who can't see how this is really relevant. It is interesting, though. The other numbers seem equally unequal when compares cross-platform.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages