About the compiled versions of BOE on the Spiderweb Website.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: About the compiled versions of BOE on the Spiderweb Website.
Apprentice
Member # 12413
Profile #0
Ok, so the source code has been released. What about the demo versions, has Spiderweb already released the registration codes?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #1
I doubt it. You need to go here (Mac) or here (Windows) to get a "registered" version.

To Moderators or whoever has this power: Perhaps we should add these links to the section above the topic list.

[ Sunday, December 09, 2007 08:18: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Apprentice
Member # 12413
Profile #2
How about the character editor?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #3
Sorry, I'm afraid it doesn't exist... yet. If you have Windows or a PowerMac you can download the demo from Spiderweb's site and use the character editor from that, but this won't work if you use an Intel Mac.

[ Monday, December 10, 2007 03:39: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #4
Which versions of windows is the new open-source BoE meant to support?

The program itself runs on my copy of Vista without needing compatibility, but the sounds don't.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #5
They work fine for me, and I'm running 64-bit Vista. Dumb question: Are you sure you don't have "no sounds" checked in the preferences?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #6
Yeah, I'm pretty sure.

Keeps giving me "Sound Error B", whatever that means...

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 12413
Profile #7
The character editor says "unregistered copy". And a little off topic, can anyone redirect me to a site that lists item numbers in BoA?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Bien MCR:

The character editor says "unregistered copy".
I hadn't thought of that. Still, it would have the most important functions (eg restoring health and spell points.) If you need to build a party before entering a scenario you will have to use a party builder.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #9
For BoA item numbers: you can get these in a couple of ways:
-look in Blades of Avernum Files/corescendata2.txt on your computer (this will also allow you to search by item name) and in Blades of Avernum Scenarios/(name of scenario you're playing)/(name of scenario you're playing)data.txt
-run any version of the BoA editor and look in the I1-I5 menus

Actually, I can't think of a simple list posted anywhere, although there may be one. However, if you have BoA you have corescendata, so you can always look there and in the scenario data file. Just be careful not to change these when you're looking through them.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #10
Or you could use "Write Scenario Data to Text" and get a simplified list (plus a list of any items in the scenario you're playing.)

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #11
Unlike the BoA version, the original BoE character editor has no provision whatsoever for custom items. It also has a few errors in it, see the post:“PC Editor: Item Problems” Started by Ishad Nha, last post September 18, 2007 11:52 PM
http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001866]web page

and also: “Petition for Carbonized Character Editor” BainIhrno October 03, 2007 11:19 PM
http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001869]web page

[ Monday, December 10, 2007 21:36: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]
Apprentice
Member # 12413
Profile #12
What's "Carbonized"?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #13
It means it will run natively on Mac OSX Intel; however, if you are able to run the demo character editor, you're clearly not using Mac OSX Intel (since that is the only platform it won't run on).

So I guess it's irrelevant. You could start a similar one for Win32 though, if you use Windows.

Edit: It seems the purpose of that thread may have been inadvertently expanded to include Windows...

[ Wednesday, December 12, 2007 09:07: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Apprentice
Member # 12413
Profile #14
I use Windows, AND lack coding skills, my first try in coding something nearly crashed the computer.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #15
Only nearly crashed the computer? You're doing well.

I have lost count of the number of times I've crashed/locked/frozen/erased a machine. Call me an incorrigible dabbler.

--------------------
Espresso - as close as you're going to get to an intravenous caffeine shot.

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #16
If you want to learn coding without risk of crashes (or at least greatly reduced risk), try something like Python, Logo (especially if you want to draw pictures), Perl (never tried it myself) etc. Generally speaking, these higher level programming languages have better error handling than, say, C or C++ or Pascal, and hence will be less likely to crash your computer.

You could also try a scripting language, if it is not too specialized (AvernumScript is too specialized). For example, a HyperCard clone.

Of course, none of that would help you contribute to BoE in the short run. ;) But it could help you learn principles of programming which could later be applied to a lower level language like C++.

My first "programming" was done in UCB Logo and HyperCard, and when I moved on to C++ and Python I found that I already understood some of the concepts, such as recursion. Next I have to learn Objective C or Java so I can use the Cocoa APIs... :D
Apprentice
Member # 12472
Profile #17
I would recommend to start with perl. If you could master it, you'll be able to master every possible programming language there is, cuz it's both easy and hard, and you could use perl for:

$var = 1;
@arr = ('I','am','array');
sub func {print @_[0]}
func($var);
print 1;
AND you could write things like this

`$=`;$_=\%!;($_)=/(.)/;$==++$|;($.,$/,$,,$\,$",$;,$^,$#,$~,$*,$:,@%)=(
$!=~/(.)(.).(.)(.)(.)(.)..(.)(.)(.)..(.)......(.)/,$"),$=++;$.++;$.++;
$_++;$_++;($_,$\,$,)=($~.$"."$;$/$%[$?]$_$\$,$:$%[$?]",$"&$~,$#,);$,++
;$,++;$^|=$";`$_$\$,$/$:$;$~$*$%[$?]$.$~$*${#}$%[$?]$;$\$"$^$~$*.>&$=`