Town Lighting

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Town Lighting
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #0
I just created a Town Node to change the light level within a given town. The only function modified is specials.c. The arguments are as follows:

ex1a: Light Level (0 - Fully Lit, 1 - Dark, 2 - Very Dark, 3 - Totally Dark)
ex1b: Unused
ex2a: Amount of Light to Change
ex2b: 0 - Give, 1 - Take Away

Note that setting ex1a to -1 has it do nothing and just serves to give the party (or take from) light.

Comments?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Neat! Now, if only we could do this in BoA.... :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
*cough*

Lazarus has done it, I think. Or was that Nem?

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I was under the impression that it was considered possible but not actually successfully achieved, at least not to the point where we had full control.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #4
*cough*

It works, and that's all I'll say about that. :P

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
The bit about it being possible in theory but not actually feasible was the whole rest of the exploit. We experimented a bit and were able to accomplish a few cool things by accident, but I think we never managed to actually understand how it all worked together. 16th century alchemy, sorta.

Also, Laz: Did Lighting work in Mac too? Otherwise, we have a nice balance - Mac players get to reset their automap, Windows players get lighting changes...

--------------------
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #6
Lighting changes work fine in the Mac version. So we get lighting and automap changes. :P

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Well done. Have a cookie. :mad:

( :P )

--------------------
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair. | I have a love of woodwind instruments.
"That damn meddling eskimo." --WKS about Alorael
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #8
I guess we'll just have to wait until the source code for BoA comes out.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Apprentice
Member # 8990
Profile #9
If anyone didn't know before, changing lightning was used before BoE already, just rarely... remember Linda's Laboratory in E1... (was at least possible at Mac, no idea about Windows)
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
The Exile series used lighting changes, true, but these were hardcoded. Changing lighting was impossible in BoE as far as anyone knows.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7633
Profile #11
In fact, all special encounters were hard-coded in the Exile games.
Apprentice
Member # 8990
Profile #12
Well, it's good to see that it's finally possible to change it... I'm currently working on a scenario with some nice extra features (I hope I get at least this one released) and without OBoE it wouldn't really work at all...

By the way, where actually is the download mirror for the OBoE "Player" and Editor which you are working at, Stareye? (If there is one yet, I tried to find one but failed)
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #13
It's currently hosted at Desperance. Djur was kind enough to set up a darcs repository there for me to use. Right now the code is exclusively for OS-X, ultimately someone would need to port this for windows. Most of the changes I made are commented with the string "OBoE" nearby with a description. The resource files are another story, I'd need to put those up directly as darcs does not handle them properly.

At this point, I would not recommend using OBoE for real design work. I'm planning on making changes which will temporarily break scenario compatability such that scenarios created with an intermediate version will not function. It will be possible to get a BoE scenario and convert to an OBoE one (which is tricky enough without rewriting the file I/O code completely), but I don't want to muck with intermediate version support.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 8990
Profile #14
Well, if it's that complicated, scenarios can be of course released and updated later with OBoE features...

Oh, and do you think OBoE (Scenarios) would work in < Mac OS 10 as well? I use Windows XP and Mac 9.1 still...
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #15
The issue is how file I/O is handled. Whenever I add anything that changes the structure of the files (say adding pointers for save files), the program cannot simply load in the changes normally, it will crash if care is not taken in the source code. For each version, special things must be added to the source code to handle backward compatability.

A BoE file can be read into OBoE in its current form because I know something about the old save file and what the new format should look like. Things created in the intermediate phase are subject to have an "unknown" save file structure and as such will either be corrupted or (more likely) crash.

In other words, anything created in an intermediate is subject not to work, period, in the released product. Since I won't know what phase of development your file was generated in, it will not be easy (i.e. very time consuming) to convert it over.

Someone is, of course, free to port the OBoE changes over to 9.1 or before. I have no plans (or the ability at present) to do so.

[ Saturday, June 30, 2007 08:32: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------