Asking help on picking scenarios

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Asking help on picking scenarios
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I would like to play some of the BoE scenarios. So far I downloaded Of Alcritas: Tomorrow, an apology, falling stars, redemtion, of good and evil. Of TM the inn of blades and bandits, and the four chicken plague scenarios of "brave sir Robin." I also dowloaded the northen kingdom prologuw od kelandon. i have been dying to know what that is, for a long time now.

I would like advice on which scenarios to play. I espacially would like to play history of Avernum related scenarios, in which certain things about monsters, mages and the like are explained.

I already thought of playing one of the easy scenarios of Alcritas, followed by the chicken plague scenarios.

EDIT: now wait a sec... I understand how to add the scenarios at BoA, but how exactly do I do that in BoE? Should I just drag out all important files (.exs and .meg files) and drop them in the exile scenarios folder? And how do I make a .meg file when its not included with the scenario? Just dump the whole graphic, with all small icons in it, in one resource file?

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 09:23: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
You but the .exs file in your Bladscen folder along with the .bmp file (for Windows) or .meg (for Mac). The when you get into BoE and click "Custom Scenario", it should come up.

As for what scenario to start with, it depends on what you like. For large scenarios that take forever to play, try Adventurer's Club or At the Gallows. Alcritas's scenarios are indeed good. The Chicken Plague, well, you might find it enjoyable.

You can go here, where you'll find a list of all the BoE scenarios listed by ranking, and clicking on one will bring up the review thread.

Basically, just pick something and play it. It's not going to kill you if you don't play them in a certain order.

--------------------
-ben4808
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
Okay... thanks. I found out how to do it with the graphics. however, could a Mac user make me a .meg file of "falling stars"? i tried two times, both times resulting in a system freeze of my Imac. If somebody could do that for me, I would be most grateful.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #3
TM's - Echoes: Assualt, scenario is an excellent pick.
I enjoyed it from begining to end, a worthy scenario to any BoE player!
:)
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Pokemon:

Did you understand what was going on, then? If you did, please explain it to me. Please. :P

Don't get me wrong, the combat was very fun.
But I barely could grasp the "finishing" ending, let alone the "winning" ending with someone who is my enemy but also Katothen being the same as someone who killed a guy talking about a guy spouting bilbical references, who then summoned something to kill me that didn't actually exist. I was then told about this by a person that also doesn't exist, who is looking for "The Evidence" and is an enemy of Karl Gottfried, who said he was going to explain everything but just mumbled vaguely and ended the scenario.(/rant)

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by WonkoTheSane:

quote:
Originally written by Pokemon:

Did you understand what was going on, then? If you did, please explain it to me. Please. :P

Don't get me wrong, the combat was very fun.
But I barely could grasp the "finishing" ending, let alone the "winning" ending with someone who is my enemy but also Katothen being the same as someone who killed a guy talking about a guy spouting bilbical references, who then summoned something to kill me that didn't actually exist. I was then told about this by a person that also doesn't exist, who is looking for "The Evidence" and is an enemy of Karl Gottfried, who said he was going to explain everything but just mumbled vaguely and ended the scenario.(/rant)

Basically, the whole Echoes plotline runs like this: TM hates everybody, he tries to personify everybody in his scenarios (even though we don't see it), so that he can kill everybody. And then he goes on an acid trip, and wakes up to find that his scenario has been injected with a lot of philisophical babble that shouldn't even be in scenarios.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're after something uber-simple, try The Foolish Giant . Guaranteed to be one of ten easiest scenarios you'll ever play, ranked up there with Nine Variations on Point B, etc.

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 18:48: Message edited by: Desert Pl@h ]

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
Okay, if you say so. is there some interesting plot, or is it just good for real beginners?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
By the way, be warned that most of the high-ranking scenarios on CSR have combat that's very difficult for beginners. I'm very proud of my scenario, Roots, but it might make your eyes bleed if you try to play it.

Also note that most of the high-ranking scenarios have little or nothing to do with the plotline of the Exile series.

For a scenario that is Exile-related and isn't too difficult, you might want to try "Spears", by Stareye. It's set in the same world as "At the Gallows" (also by Stareye), but you don't need to have played AtG to understand Spears, and AtG is considerably harder.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #8
You may also want to try one of the best scenarios ever. :P
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #9
Gallows is a great one to start with. I'd also recommend Forsaken and Shadow of a Stranger, both brilliant scenarios.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Warrior
Member # 380
Profile Homepage #10
I've not played many of the scenarios but now that I'm back into my Exile kick, I WANT TO PLAY THEM ALL!! *crazed look* One of my favorites (and probably no one elses') is the game "Election." Not sure why, but that one always had a spot in my heart.
Also, "Tatterdemallion" is worth a look, though I don't remember the level range. The programming in that game is incredible, especially if you have attempted to do something like it in the editor and have failed miserably. If I remember correctly, it also won a Scenario Design Contest. (The first one, I think. It really has been a long time.)

--------------------
When the portal to Upper Avernum starts to blow, first dump a bucket of water on it. Then run like hell.

We're all heroes! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice! Wait.... wrong game.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Wednesday, December 12 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #11
I'm mentioning the Leaving here because its combat parts are easy.

But it divides opinions. Don't pick it if you don't like looking for secret doors.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

You may also want to try one of the best scenarios ever. :P
Or, depending on whether you are turned off by the feeling of having your brain scraped out via your tear channels, you might not.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
My top 10:

Nephil's Gambit
Chains
An Apology
Quintessence
Roots
Emulations
Shadow of the Stranger
Tatterdemalion
Of Good And Evil
Revenge

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Ash... by Nathan Thralni:

Okay, if you say so. is there some interesting plot, or is it just good for real beginners?
I got the plot from s children's storybook. It's different from basic plots such as "I'm the king, my sword was stolen, if you get it back, you can keep it and I'll give you some extra treasure" or "Oh holy crap! There's ogres terrorizing the valley! Help us and we'll give you some treasure!" It's more interesting, but also simple.

And it's still good for beginners.

So, in answer to your question…yes.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
Thanks. I'll try it.

Still nobody offering yo make me a .meg file of the BMP file that came with "falling star"? If somebody still offers help, PM me please.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!