Romans or Celts?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Romans or Celts?
Apprentice
Member # 16812
Profile #0
Which is better?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 6 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=IKbJqnlvhGfP"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=IKbJqnlvhGfP"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
This is a link to an awesome game: http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=28565
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Let's see, one side consists of blood thirsty savages that kill everything in sight and the other strip down and paint themselves blue.

Celts are better because they get the full range of magic. It's pretty hard to play the game as pure fighting Romans that just use items.
Apprentice
Member # 17020
Profile #2
i did feel celts were were both more powerful and more interesting.

melee fighters are just so mechanical.

battle disciplines in A5 were a good step to make melee more interesting, even if quite a few of them were not very useful.
Apprentice
Member # 16812
Profile #3
Secondly, is there a good way to customize the party, or should I just let it be what it starts with? I'm used to Geneforge, which has, in my opinion, a much simpler Character Generation

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 14993
Profile #4
I've almost finished the game as Celts. Is it worth replaying as Romans? I get the impression that the two parties are sort of playing alongside each other simultaneously with occasional crossover going on, so playing as either side will show the story from their perspective. And that's pretty cool, I guess.

On the other hand, it's kind of boring to play a buncha zealously patriotic soldier-drones and have the game constantly narrate your emotional reactions (something that bugged me loads about Geneforge). For a style that focuses so much on projecting your own identity into the characters, it really kind of limits that ability. I dig Romans and everything, but the prospect of fighting to destroy entire races of crazy-cool nutjob druids and ancient faerie people and other awesomeness for the glory of Emperor Nero leaves me somewhat cold.

Now, if it had been Julius Caesar...
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #5
Playing is the Romans is still enjoyable. There are a few perks. For one thing, it is much easier to play a Roman singleton in N:R than a Celtic one.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
On Normal it's much easier. On Torment it's much harder and in fact practically impossible.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
Nero and the elite that upheld him were not so different from the Unseelie Court, powerful and inhuman. That's what I found cool about playing the Romans: damnation whether you did or you didn't, and the only thing the legionaries could really believe in was the Legion. You're not doing anything for Nero, you're not doing anything for Rome. You're doing it for the Legion, which serves Nero and Rome because that's what Legions do.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
On torment it's easier to play a Celt singleton because you can summon wind warriors and use the high level Nethergate spells to kill everything. Romans have to skip a few things or use up key potions.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #9
Yet, when beginning with the romans it's easy, while the celts have a problem punishing those goblins.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Apprentice
Member # 16812
Profile #10
Makes sense.

--------------------