Nethergate Owners

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Nethergate Owners
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #0
I was just curious how many people on this forum actually own nethergate (the full, not the demo).

I mean it is a good game, but I havent purchased it and not many people seem to talk about it so it'd be interesting to know how many people own.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #1
I own it. I'd say that a reasonable percentage of the SW forum members own it. That is, of the ones that actually buy the games and aren't just here to be here. Usually, nowadays, people are more interested in BoA and the Avernum trilogy, though.

To most of the older members that have it, it's one of the better SW games, it's just judged to be quite short, compared to the others.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
I won a free copy in one of the scenario contests.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I bought it long before I joined the community, back in my NK0P days. Good game. I think it has the best atmosphere of any SW game.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #4
Nethergate was the first Spiderweb game I ever came across. I downloaded the demo from some demo-download website or other in May 2001, and practically spent all my time playing it for several days. When I came upon the Shareware Barrier, I unhesitatingly registered it, as I just had to play the rest of it. It's easily Jeff Vogel's masterpiece, and indeed is probably the best game I've ever played. In fact I like it so much, I'm tempted to send Jeff extra money every now and then just out of appreciation. Instead, though, I just buy every game of his that comes out, which are all quite good but only Avernum 1 and Geneforge 1 have come close to matching its quality.

PS — I'm a bit puzzled by the "quite short" comment. I spent just about the same amount of time playing through Nethergate all the way as I did with massive games like Avernum 3. You really have to play it through twice, once as Celts and once as Romans, to play the whole game.

[ Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:11: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #5
I own it. Bought it with the original Avernum. When I get Avernum 2, I'm getting the hint book.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #6
My sisters' had bought a copy of it before I'd ever played a SW game, so it was my first. It's one of my favorite games. My only problem with it is that there is no way to have the Romans stop the Celts from helping the Sidhe.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #7
I have it and liked it a lot a few years ago. It's engine isn't as polished as that of Avernum, but has some nice elements not found in other SW games.

It also has a good storyline and I find it very fun to be able to play the same story from 2 opposing points of view.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #8
I bought it fairly recently, and really liked it.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
I own Nethergate. It's neither my first Spiderweb game (that was E1) nor my favorite (though it's close), but I agree that it has the best atmosphere and probably the best plot of any Spiderweb game. I also enjoy seeing the actions of each party from both sides. It's fun feeling great about pulling off an amazing feat as Celts and then to view that same accomplishment with rage when you're playing as Romans.

—Alorael, who spent hours hunting down Nether spells. And Sylak's items, of which he still doesn't have a full collection. And there's that Puzzle Box...
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #10
Woah, theres quite a few for this many replys in one day. I was expecting maybe 1 reply. I thought it seemed to be one of Jeffs better games (probably second, behind Avernum 2, or maybe 3rd after BoA) but no-one ever seems to mention it and there is never any nethergate forum topics so I thought it must not be as well liked. I really should/want to buy it but right now I'm really strapped for cash (because of my coming up one year anniversary with the girlfriend) but do you think it would be worth it for me to purchase it?
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

do you think it would be worth it for me to purchase it?
Absolutely. Forget the anniversary, dump your girlfriend, and buy Nethergate instead. It's that good.

Okay, well, maybe I'm overreacting a bit. Keep the girlfreind. Celebrate the anniversary with a nice gift. But then tell her that's it for the year, scrimp and save, and then buy Nethergate.

Mug little old ladies if you have to. Just not my grandmother, please. :P

EDIT: A helpful hint here. Rob them on their way TO the grocery store, not as they're coming BACK. The reason for this should be pretty obvious, but it's a point often overlooked.

[ Sunday, June 12, 2005 21:25: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #12
Well...I don't think I'll be dumping her any time soon. Although as soon as this aniversary is over I might just have to purchase it.

How much is it anyway?
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #13
Note that there is a 15$ discount if you purchase it together with another game. So I suggest waiting until there is another Spidweb game that you want (for example Geneforge 3) and bying the two together. While Nethergate is definitely a great deal for 15$, I think 30$ might be a bit too much for it, considering that you could buy almost any other Spidweb game for 25$.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #14
Not really a big fan of the geneforge series. Didn't even beat the demos. But I suppose I'll just wait until A4 comes out and buy it along with that, unless one of my mates wants to buy a Spiderweb game and I'll just put it along with that. Also I live in New Zealand so $15 is like $25 and $25 is like $40 so it's quite a bit more expensive than it seems at first glance.
Apprentice
Member # 2318
Profile #15
I also purchased Nethergate a long time ago when I hit the Shareware barrier and I think it is the best of Jeff's games. I'm playing Geneforge 3 and it is not as polished as Nethergate IMHO. Course it could be because I am a Roman at heart!!

Frank
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #16
I can only concur with the glowing statements of the posts above. It's easily my favorite SW game, although I have a feeling it might someday be surpassed in that regard by BoA.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Warrior
Member # 5321
Profile #17
I own it and quite enjoy it; though having soem very heavy knowledge in Roman history, the end was rather anti-climatic for me (considering the Roman empire continued to significantlly expand into new territories, ho,d them, and Romanize them well through the next century and a half)

Othwise I enjoyed it, and would love to see a new game along those lines come out; perhaps set in Heroic age Greece or Italy. (I'd also enjoy seeing such a gamemade with the Nethergate-AV1- BOA game engine, but we have yet to see whats in store with AV4)
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #18
Perhaps someone could re-create a Nethergate type game in BOA?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
As a Classics major, obviously I've thought about a number of ancient settings. I'd really like to do one in the Trojan War.

I might just design the scripts for a Nethergate engine and post them on the Codex.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #20
i am actually thinking of buying it as i am sitting here posting about it!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #21
Is it worth buying? I can't really get over the small screen-area.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Is it worth buying? I can't really get over the small screen-area.
then do as it says, and switch your resolution to 800x600 :P

but yes, this is a great game to buy, i myself was drawn to SPidweb by this game. I beleive this game brought alot of the older newer people here, but A3 and Geneforge brought thenewest wave of newbies here. I think Nethergate has the BEST story, and would be very popular if remade like Exile, but with a little extra thigns there, like another isde quest and SOMETHING to do with the puzzle box, or its elemination all together. :P

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.