Life of the Game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Life of the Game
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #0
Am I the only one who still plays this game? Am I also making a pitiful attempt to revive the Nethergate forum?

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I still play once in a while. I am bound and determined to come up with a tolerable way to use a Roman party, but I just can't do it.

—Alorael, who just can't handle a magic addiction on top of his already colossal skribbane problem.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #2
I agree, magic is my crutch and the Romans just fall short in that area.

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #3
Coincidentally I grabbed it today to play again. It's been a few years.
I'm gonna go for Romans.
Love magic, but something about the Romans I like a lot. I think it's the cool way that Jeff captured the Roman spirit without romantizicing them. I've admired the Romans (part of the Romans, not all!) since I was a kid.
Anyway, were244, you're not the only one still interested in this game.
Glad to see I'm not the only one either.
Cheers!

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #4
Great! I knew a game this good could not be dead. I also think I will pick up the game too, might even try the Romans again. LONG LIVE THE NETHERGATE BOARD!

--------------------

Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #5
Personally, I think that the only short-coming of Nethergate was that it - compared to other Spidweb games - was very, very short.

Compared to the average game it had reasonable length.

It's a great game, I can play easily as either side and there are still things I'm finding out even now.
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #6
That is one of my favorite things about spidweb's games, I'm always learning something new.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #7
Yeah it was short. Even playing two sides.

I like the fact that it is the only "one-shot" game from SW. The others have sequels, even editors.

I was hoping that JV´s unknown project was something along the lines of Nethergate: another stand alone game with a revised engine, although the current engine is fine.

Here´s hoping more people pick it up and play it again, or for the first time.

Besides: how many RPGs allow you to play Romans?

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #8
Nethergate was the first Spiderweb game I played, and it still holds a special place for me. I'm also a history enthusiast, and really enjoyed its solid basis in fact. Nethergate's probably the Spiderweb game I think on most fondly, so I guess it would qualify as my favorite.

Long Live Nethergate!
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #9
EDIT: Accidental double-post... Darn Internet Explorer!

[ Saturday, June 26, 2004 09:34: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #10
Well, a Nethergate editor would be sort of pointless. It'd just be BoA with a different set of skills and spells. :P
Warrior
Member # 4230
Profile #11
Nethergate is my favorite game from SW for several reasons.

The historical background.
The basis in myth as apposed to generic fantasy
The very different magic system that made nearly every druid or roman caster different.
The ability to discover the great history of the game. I am a big fan of finding out about people and civilizations that existed before the game itself takes place.
All of the intrigue.

And all of this I have gotten just from the Demo!

Seriously now, I plon on ordering BoA, because I want to play it but also because it will get me a serious discount on a copy of Nethergate!

--------------------
If Magic is your crutch, cast it off and walk without.
Diablo 1 Manual

Truth is good manners, manners are a fiction.
Mark Twain
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #12
I haven't re-played it for more than a couple of times. It's irritating to be reminded of how bad the Exile/Avernum games (my favourites) are when compared to Nethergate.

Well, not bad, but at least not as good.

--------------------
Mow down the sexy people.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #13
Indeed it would be a good thing if after Geneforge 3, Jeff started on a completely new, stand-alone adventure which was at least as good as Nethergate. Preferably alot longer aswell.

It would be interesting if it happened. However it is unlikely due to various issues, for example, JV is a businessman, like all businessmen he likes money. The trilogies with a Blades at the end make more than stand-alones. Thus trilogies get made.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
My understanding was that the reason that Jeff didn't make sequels to Nethergate is that it didn't sell very well. I think I heard that from someone who was just speculating, though....

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #15
Did not sell well? I hope it was speculation, Jeff's games do not get enough credit the way it is. In fact, I first came to this site by mistake. I am now glad I found it.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

Nethergate was the first Spiderweb game I played, and it still holds a special place for me. I'm also a history enthusiast, and really enjoyed its solid basis in fact. Nethergate's probably the Spiderweb game I think on most fondly, so I guess it would qualify as my favorite.

Long Live Nethergate!

*nodds* mine too. Plus, Nethergatwe was the first non-pokémon RPG i could compreheand to play.

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #17
I really like Nethergate. I have played it twice with the Celts and started countless times with the Romans. My problem with the Romans is that they don't have my favorite spells(like Doom) and I'm always scared to go into Annwn :( . Actually, Nethergate got me started on the Celts. I love the mythology and the way they thought about things. I especially like the way they treated women as equals. :cool:

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

My understanding was that the reason that Jeff didn't make sequels to Nethergate is that it didn't sell very well. I think I heard that from someone who was just speculating, though....
I imagine it would also be difficult to write a sequel for, given the ending.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Apprentice
Member # 4781
Profile #19
I like the Celts becouse the can cast the spell Ravage Live.
The spell can deal with a fomorian!

And i like the romans to because there weapon skills, my publius has at the begin of the game 96% chance to hit wit a spear and 92% chance to hit with a javelin.

Celts and romans are really cool but you must configure them right.