Atmospheric graphics.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Atmospheric graphics.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1133
Profile #0
Nethergate is probably the game that has the best atmosphere of all spidweb games. I think this is also because of the graphics. But I don't think the A3 graphics are any different, but nevertheless, the Nethergate ones seem better! How is this possible?

--------------------
Soy un perdedor... I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
----------------------------------
"We're more popular now than Jesus, I don't know which will disappear first, Rock'n'Roll or Christianity."
It's Christianity!
There was some time I called myself manic derpressive. Well, I wasn't. I just didn't know what 'Manic' meant.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #1
I've had the same feeling myself. I'm not sure. Maybe it has something to do with it being a historical adventure? Recognizable period details, rather than styles created from scratch?
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #2
I agree about the feeling.

It's the shadows that make it! The shadows, you hear me, the shadows!

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
I think the wilderness is designed a bit better in Nethergate than in A3, and I definitely prefer the "alert" sound that comes with each message.

—Alorael, who agrees that the details help. The size also seems to make Jeff concentrate more on making what he does have count, so the game is more concentrated in a way.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 3260
Profile #4
Indeed. I agree that it is quite possibly the mind reacting to the historic periods when Rome did invade Great Britt. And yes, I agree with the Alert notification. Also, I played Nethergate before any of the Avernum series so that was a big change from the Exile engine. Perhap that's why I enjoy the way it looks more than Avernum 1-3

--------------------
Motrax. Gotta love him.
Who likes Taco's? Burn you, burn
The definition of me: N/A
Apprentice
Member # 2194
Profile #5
I also agree that details esp. historical details are a factor. there is something about the layout of the land that adds something to it.
I just started playing it last week and I'm finding it more enjoyable than Exile and/or Avernum. :)
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #6
Nethergate was the First Spidweb game i ever played, and i like it the best, mostly because of the Spell Circles, but the Graphics do fit with things better, and i likt the way it uses the E3/BoE Talk engine.

Mabey i should rte-install it...

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #7
quote:
by Alorael:
I think the wilderness is designed a bit better in Nethergate than in A3
I agree with that. It might be because we both played E3 before A3 so A3 seems a little repetitive. Also, as someone else mentioned, Nethergate is more concentrated where as the A3 is sprawling. After trawling about in A3 for a few hours, you've already seen all of the graphics in the game.

--------------------
Let the soul trading begin.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
I mentioned concentration as well, Willow. Yes, it helps that graphics aren't used repeatedly, but towns aren't either. There are very few different areas to enter, so almost all of them are unique.

—Alorael, who loathed the interchangeable A3 towns with generic people. If they weren't worth the effort to make fully, they shouldn't have been made at all.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #9
Downloaded Nethergate Demo today (don't know why I didn't played it before?!) and I really
must agree, it does have a nice atmosphere, maybe even better then Avernum and Geneforge, well, I will see, I just
ordered it together with Geneforge2 and all the Hintbooks :cool:
And yes, though the graphics are more or less the same, it looks as if here and there more detail was spend to it, when designing the towns&landscape etc
Or maybe it's just the different plot? Don't know :)

I think after the Geneforge Series I would like to see
something similar to the Avernum/Nethergate engine again, with a character editor and maybe a world like the good ol' times of D&D or Midgard....
oh yes...getting nostalgic....

cheers
Abraxx

[ Sunday, July 27, 2003 07:08: Message edited by: Abraxx ]

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
Shock Trooper
Member # 1133
Profile #10
Well, probably it will be possible to make the BoA graphics look like Nethergate's.
But shadows... could be right. Nethergate seemed just a little darker to me than A3.

--------------------
Soy un perdedor... I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
"We're more popular now than Jesus, I don't know which will disappear first, Rock'n'Roll or Christianity."
It's Christianity!
There was some time I called myself manic derpressive. Well, I wasn't. I just didn't know what 'Manic' meant.
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #11
I think it's all in the sounds and nice wooden tables an' chairs.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
Apprentice
Member # 911
Profile #12
It's the opening theme, best tune ever!
Apprentice
Member # 3299
Profile #13
i like the patterns all over and for some reason, i prefer nethergate's screen (characters on the left while the action's on the top-right) better than avernum's or geneforge.

--------------------
I set a goal. I seek answers. I complete the task.
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #14
I like that your stats are not only shown with a bar but also in numbers.
I'm only missing a quest log.

I just wondered if instead of dropping something I can put the item back into a desk or similar...I think it showed a letter when I was standing beside...

Anyway, there are a few neet ideas where I don't understand why they were dropped for the following Avernum games :(

rgds
Abraxx

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *