E2: Formello, Fort Draco and Motrax

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: E2: Formello, Fort Draco and Motrax
Apprentice
Member # 8494
Profile #0
Is it theoretically possible to kill these three areas? Kill meaning to kill all NPCs in that area... before going back and doing it again and again.

I managed to do all the smaller towns in the unregistered version (the starting fort, the homestead and a couple of other places) but these major towns with guards, and the golems in Motrax's are hard to kill..

So before I spend my time getting 6 characters to lvl 50, could someone please tell me if wiping out all the NPCs in these towns in possible using only the mage/priest spells up to Level 4 (unregistered version.)

I would have access to Capture Soul and Simalcrum (you can get them then use editor to return.)so could in theory be creating extra versions of ANY creature in the game (I once spent hours capturing Motrax's soul... then I went a got a golem, and the two different Vahnatai Lords... It was fun whilst it lasted :P )

Oh - and that tower of flames as well.. is it possible to kill all the demons guarding it?

I'm one of those insane people that like going on a rampage through every game I play :D

--------------------
Current Parties:

None.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
You don't even need magic. You just need a party that can deal a lot of damage and not take nearly as much. Guards aren't actually all that bad once you hit higher levels.

—Alorael, who even managed to clear out the demons around the tower without wiping out innocent civilians.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
I've done the demons guarding Solberg's Tower in torment without needing to go back and tediously grind extra XP by redoing places. It takes being buffed before triggering the trap or at least some thought in how to buff quickly using potions.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #3
There's a chest behind the Mayor's office in Formello that always killed me. I had thought capture soul didn't work on powerful creature such as wizards and dragons, but maybe I'm thinking of Avernum.

I never tried to kill Motrax, but I'd assume he's relatively weak. My only experience in town slaying is A3's Shayder; over and over and over....

--------------------
Drew - "Coincidence, correlation, or causation, I wonder?"
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I've done the demons guarding Solberg's Tower in torment without needing to go back and tediously grind extra XP by redoing places. It takes being buffed before triggering the trap or at least some thought in how to buff quickly using potions.
So that was you, huh? I thought that I recognized you. :cool:

Also I should say that it's pretty good to see people still talking about the old Exile series.

[ Friday, February 08, 2008 13:07: Message edited by: Arch-Mage Solberg ]

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Welcome to my home...NOW GET OUT!!!
Apprentice
Member # 8494
Profile #5
Not as if my computers will play GF and I don't like Avernum...
Although it was designed to be better I find the gameplay a little boring... GF is alright...
Anyhow, not relevant...

Next question: What buffs/potions should I use (remembering I'm in the unregistered version here)for taking on Solberg's Tower..

And whoever said that Motrax is easy.. think again.. there's a million and one golems in there, which take a while to kill... they aren't hard, just persistent.

Capture Soul works on ANY creature when you've got maxed out intelligence... A must for any spellcsater really...

6 mages with 20 int can clear out something like the Empire Patrol on the western edge of the unregistered game (there's about 10 empire archers, lots of soldiers, mages and normal archers) in under a single combat turn... they just wipe people up like a sponge wipes up water!

Oh - and is it worth trying to kill the Vahnatai Council? Do they just throw you out of the town, or can you actually kill them? If you're not thrown out, it's easy enough.. it's only Vahnatai Lords after all...

--------------------
Current Parties:

None.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by mediaboy:

Next question: What buffs/potions should I use (remembering I'm in the unregistered version here)for taking on Solberg's Tower..
I got by on the standard of haste, bless, and protection. Mostly it's spell casters using smite and concentrating on the demons. Imps go quickly and can be dealt with by fighters or single shots from priests. This is on torment so normal will be easier.
Warrior
Member # 5161
Profile #7
It's not possible to kill the vahnatai council because (at least in Avernum 2), as soon as you commit a single crime in the vahnatai lands, a message pops up saying that you have lost the game. I'm fairly certain it will be the same case for the Exile series, seeing how the vahnatai council is fairly plot-essential.

[ Sunday, February 10, 2008 16:16: Message edited by: olop4444 ]

--------------------
Blah blah blah I can't hear you!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I got by on the standard of haste, bless, and protection. Mostly it's spell casters using smite and concentrating on the demons. Imps go quickly and can be dealt with by fighters or single shots from priests. This is on torment so normal will be easier.
Dude, this is the Exile Trilogy forum. You appear to be giving advice for the Avernum trilogy. Smite is a terrible spell in Exile; Wound is better.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #9
Last time I checked, Exile doesn't have varying degrees of difficulty. Since this is the unregistered version and you don't have access to Avatar, your best bet is blessing each of your characters 3 times (maybe it was five, it's been a while) and then hasting them. Curse enemies three times with 'curse all' and slow them with 'slow all.' This will turn even a level 1 character into an unstoppable juggernaut, and will allow you to wipe out Mortrax, Fort Draco, Formello, and any other place you wish.

EDIT:
Actually, if you feel like cheating, you can give yourself a ton of gold through the editor, and buy some of the best non-unique equipment in the game from the random shop. I don't remember the special button that causes the man to change his inventory, but he'll eventually sell things like Blessed Greatswords, Blessed Platemail, etc.

[ Sunday, February 10, 2008 16:00: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
I don't remember the special button that causes the man to change his inventory, but he'll eventually sell things like Blessed Greatswords, Blessed Platemail, etc.
"Command + W" on a Mac, or at least with Exile 3.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Shift-W, actually.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 8804
Profile #12
I do remember there being a few difficulty settings in Exile. But that aside, it's definitely possible to do. Even without crazy power, it's possible to do almost anything if you think hard enough, and know AI behavior well enough.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #13
Exile 3 has the option 'make game easier (monsters much weaker' but I don't think there's anyway to make the Exile games harder.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #14
You can make it easier by selecting the "no wandering monsters" option, but I never used it. The weakening option gave creatures half as many hit points, and didn't offer much of a challenge at all.

Edit: realized this was about E2 instead of E3. Oops. I don't remember if you can eliminate wandering monsters in E2.

[ Saturday, February 16, 2008 09:47: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------