Exile Trilogy for Vista?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile Trilogy for Vista?
Apprentice
Member # 8957
Profile #0
Hey does anyone have a fix to play Exile on Windows Vista? I played the Exile Trilogy way back in the day on my mac (I no longer have my mac)and thought it would be fun to play all 3 in a sequence again, problem is I have Vista, and the first Exile keeps spontaneously quitting or freezes up and doesnt respond in the middle random battles, I think its just the first game seeing as how I played Exile III for 6 hrs without a single problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I would really prefer not to play through the series with Avernum . . . I have a bond with the oldschool Exile Trilogy . . . with Avernum, it just wouldn't be the same.

[ Tuesday, June 12, 2007 05:32: Message edited by: Cypher ]
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #1
I have Vista, and know what you mean. Just play the game in compatibility mode; the same is true for the editor, if you want to use it. I suggest you do the same thing with E2 & E3, just in case.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Apprentice
Member # 8957
Profile #2
I Got it working just fine now in compatability mode . . . Thanks Mystic!
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #3
Glad to be of help. Vista is a rather funky and finicky OS to begin with.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

Vista is a rather funky and finicky OS to begin with.
Hahaha! Sigged!

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #5
quote:

Really only when it comes to backwards compatibility, and it has more of that than OS X. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
I've really had almost no trouble with Classic. It's backwards compatibility on Intel Macs that requires an unusual degree of sophistication and third-party software to finagle.

—Alorael, whose only real regret is never being able to get Summoner to run right with any tricks but a Mac booted in OS 9. It's still a mediocre game and it still has the best city in any game he's seen.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7633
Profile #7
The Exile games are kind of screwy under Classic, though. In particular, a few fights in Exile II would consistently crash under Classic, but run fine on a real OS 9 machine.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #8
My real computer is really bug-free. Luckily, I will be back at it tomorrow.

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!

The Mystic: "Vista is a rather funky and finicky OS to begin with."
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
Well, sure Vista has gimmicks and adjustments that need to be made, but at least it looks cool and forces you to buy a powerful computer just to run it.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Sturg:

Well, sure Vista has gimmicks and adjustments that need to be made, but at least it looks cool and forces you to buy a powerful computer just to run it.
When XP first came out you needed a (then) powerful computer to run it. Vista really doesn't have incredibly steep requirements by today's standards. You don't even need a powerful video card like they say. You won't get transparent window effects without one, but that's not a big deal. But seriously, a PC with 512MB of RAM, a 1GHz CPU, and 20GB of hard drive space is not exactly hard to come by. They had PCs with those specs 5 years ago. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
20GB of hard drive space is not exactly hard to come by.
Yeah sure, if you don't mind 35% of your hard disk being occupied by the OS:

IMAGE(http://anthonygoreham.net/jpg/vista.jpg)

--------------------
"Blink and you're dead... Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink."

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
Well, XP is the final stop for me as far as Windows is concerned. I wouldn't take Vista for free.

Yes, computers are getting more powerful, but they aren't meant to be powerful just so the OS can hog all the resources. My idea of an OS is something that runs in the background and controls the hardware with minimal load, and provides a desktop when needed. Leaving the fancy graphics card and CPU to be used by actual applications... :P

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
Microsoft has always had memory hungry programs since the start. That's why we have so much memory in our computers and hard drives. You should have been around when PCs first came out and the salesmen used to apologize for it.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

quote:

Really only when it comes to backwards compatibility, and it has more of that than OS X. :P

I'll have to take your word about anything concerning OS X, my last Mac computer was an Apple IIe (remember those?).

And here's a little fun fact with Vista's backwards compatibility: I have a very, very, very old RPG for Windows 3.1 that, amazingly, runs perfectly in Vista with no issues whatsoever.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
quote:

I'll have to take your word about anything concerning OS X, my last Mac computer was an Apple IIe (remember those?).
That's not even a Macintosh. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #16
True, but it is an ancestor of the modern-day Mac, since that's what it eventually evolved into.

--------------------

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #17
It only counts as a protomac if you spell it ][e.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #18
Thanks Yama, that's the one I was talking about; I forgot that it was ][e, not IIe.

--------------------