how do you defeat a doomguard??

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: how do you defeat a doomguard??
Apprentice
Member # 8456
Profile #0
i've tried everything :mad:

--------------------
hay 2 u
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
Hit them a lot, and try to do as much damage as possible with each hit. Ideally, give the Black Halberd to you best fighter, bless and haste him a lot, and then have everyone else stand back out of the way and heal him frantically. The only doomguard you need to kill is in the entrance to Blackcrag, and you just need to kill one copy. So just hit the same copy over and over again and it will die in about five or six hits.

The doomguard in the concealed tunnel you should just run away from, or enclose it in force barriers if you have that spell.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
There are doomguards in Exile 2, too.

The keys to defeating them are:

1) Damage per turn doesn't matter nearly so much as damage per strike, since each attack will make it split. That makes this one of the few situations in Exile where halberds and greatswords are better than dual-wielded wave blades.

2) Because it is going to take a long time no matter what you do, and because making lots of attacks every turn just guarantees you'll have lots of guys attacking you back, having a strong defense is more important than having a strong offense. If your fighters (or ideally, your whole party) are wearing lots of armor, and you keep everyone heavily blessed, all you really need is patience. Doomguards don't have any special attacks to worry about.

Another strategy is to summon overpowered creatures with Simulacrum. This didn't work well in 3 as I recall, but in Exile 2, you could make Simulacrums of the dragons. Their really high HP and high damage breath attack makes them useful in this scenario.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
Exile doomguards don't do that much damage if you stay shielded. Keep hasted for your best fighters so they can do the most damage and get several strikes per round. Magic doesn't work on them so don't waste time.

It's a grind to do it, but it's easier than in Avernum where the doomguards can really do damage.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #4
I've never fought Exile doomguards, but in Avernum I beat them easily with a Simulacrum'd basilisk. Maybe the Exile doomguards have the same weakness.

--------------------
I don't have to walk my dog anymore. I walked him all at once.
- Steven Wright
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #5
Like was mentioned earlier, use your most powerful melee weapons and hope you get good rolls. I also like using wound so that my spell casters have something to do-- I seem to remember that doomguards are resistant to most things, and wound is an easy 15-20 damage per cast.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

I've never fought Exile doomguards, but in Avernum I beat them easily with a Simulacrum'd basilisk. Maybe the Exile doomguards have the same weakness.
They don't; they're immune to magic.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
My strategy was trapping them in force barriers, then having my fighter attack it, and since it's surrounded by force barriers, it can't split.

--------------------
WWJD?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #8
By Thuryl:
quote:
Eh, worth a shot to ask; in Avernum they were ostensibly immune to magic too, but that didn't stop stoning or Cloud of Blades...

--------------------
Warning: Cape does not enable user to fly.
- Label on a Batman costume
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

In Exile 2, doomguards are susceptible to basilisks.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #10
I kill Doomguards in one of two ways:

1) Bless & haste my party, then hack them to pieces, occasionally throwing a Wound spell at them for good measure (they're not immune--or even resistant--to this spell).

2) Have everyone in the party use the Protection spell (or Sheilding Crystals), and cast Shockwave for several rounds. It's very draining on your spell points this way, but the Doomguards don't stand a chance.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

in Avernum they were ostensibly immune to magic too, but that didn't stop stoning or Cloud of Blades...
Cloud of Blades does physical damage. Basilisks are apparently just able to kill everything.

—Alorael, who doesn't recommend using Cloud of Blades on doomguards anyway. That's not nearly enough damage to make up for all the splitting you'll cause on every doomguard in the area.

[ Monday, April 09, 2007 14:58: Message edited by: Twelve Motion ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #12
It might seem weird, but try blessing any non-fighters you have and hack away. You'll be surprised.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

It might seem weird, but try blessing any non-fighters you have and hack away. You'll be surprised.
By more doomguards?

—Alorael, who can't imagine why blessing non-fighters would be more useful than blessing fighters.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #14
They can do some damage as long as you use them to mop up weakened doomguards and not the main high health ones. It's almost impossible to take noticeable damage if you use major blessing.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

That, in a nutshell, is my method #1 mentioned above. Works like a charm.
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

It's almost impossible to take noticeable damage if you use major blessing.
Or alternately, I've found that Bless Party works just as well if you don't have Major Blessing. Also, I'd like to remind you that additional blessing spells multiply the blessing effect, making it quite powerful.

Plus, you should see the nasty combination of bless, haste, and protection; it produces a truly devastating effect without scratching your PCs.

[ Tuesday, April 10, 2007 15:13: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
One engine exploit you can use to make Doomguards easier is filling the area around the Doomguard with Conflagration spells. Copies won't appear in spaces already occupied by fields.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #17
Additional blessing spells only multiply the effect if you cast it at relatively low Intelligence. At high Int a single bless spell can get you up to a high level of blessing. (Not sure if this is true of Bless Party and Major Blessing but I think it is.) (Also not sure if further blesses will increase the duration or not. I think not, but not sure.)

Blessing can go up to 8 levels in Exile. Each level confers a +5% bonus to hit, a +1 damage bonus, and I think (but don't quite recall) a +5% bonus to dodge and +1 bonus to armor. That armor bonus is extremely powerful.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #18
Casting bless party, major haste, and mass blessing are counted separately in Exile. They do wear off at different rates as seen by lower AP from the hastes. So the effects should be additive.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Slartematographer:

Additional blessing spells only multiply the effect if you cast it at relatively low Intelligence. At high Int a single bless spell can get you up to a high level of blessing. (Not sure if this is true of Bless Party and Major Blessing but I think it is.) (Also not sure if further blesses will increase the duration or not. I think not, but not sure.)

Blessing can go up to 8 levels in Exile. Each level confers a +5% bonus to hit, a +1 damage bonus, and I think (but don't quite recall) a +5% bonus to dodge and +1 bonus to armor. That armor bonus is extremely powerful.

Simply not true. 8 levels is the most you can give with a special node in BoE, but casting multiple bless spells can crank up your blessing much, much higher than that. I've had monsters with 40 skill (which normally never miss) consistently miss me with sufficient blessing.

[ Tuesday, April 10, 2007 23:09: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #20
Really? Wow. Now that I think about it, my testing, which was years ago, mostly just used the displayed hit bonuses as its data point. Maybe those cap off before the defensive bonuses do. But I'm almost sure they never went above 40% and +8, even with multiple spells involved.

Sheesh.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #21
More proof: Don't believe everything you read. :)

Personally, I don't bother trying to learn anywhere near that level of detail about a game; it takes most of the fun out of it for me.

--------------------