Two Handed or Pole

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Two Handed or Pole
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #0
Ay, we sure need some new topics in the Exile Boards with Avernum 4 out now and everyone playing it instead of Exile.

So whatcha like better, two handed swords or a pole weapon. Sure, the Black Halberd is really powerful. But what about two Magic Waveblades? Or two Flaming Swords?

Poll Information
This poll contains 3 question(s). 17 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=sNbtJsRvRAlN"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=sNbtJsRvRAlN"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
For most brute damage per hit, I'd have to go with two 1-handed swords. Right now, my party leader has a Mithral Broadsword and a Magic Wave Blade, and while niether may be able to equal the Black Halberd, the combined often does.

Also, I'm assuming the editor is essential for obtaining two Black Halberds. :P

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Maces!

—Alorael, who also wants to know why one-handed swords and one-handed spears seem to be beneath consideration.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
There aren't any one-handed spears in the Exile trilogy.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #4
I was wondering...

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
*sigh*

I love Exile III ...

And for some reason, I like to give my Nephil rogue a rapier and a flail and poison.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

And for some reason, I like to give my Nephil rogue a rapier and a flail and poison.
Because you really, really enjoy wasting skill points on two different weapon skills and the most useless skill in the game? :P

--------------------
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #7
Eh, I guess there's the whole challenge aspect of doing that...

But to be honest, I don't see me wanting to ever go to the trouble of winning the game by investing in the most pointless skills. It'd either work really well at high levels or it'd still suck.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

Because you really, really enjoy wasting skill points on two different weapon skills and the most useless skill in the game? :P

I remember when I played Exile II and didn't know about any of the other games (I got the demo off Games Arcade) I took the trouble of training my Nephil with the Poison Skill trait and I would fire poisoned arrows at goblins and run from them.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

It didn't make the game any more difficult, not to mention the 3 mage/3 priest skill.

This was before I sought challenge in theme parties and singletons.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #10
I usually have my first character with a sword, second character with a halberd and my third with two swords.

By the way, this is in Exile 3.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #11
I have a mix. I'm too lazy to change anything, so I have an ambidexterous human in front with two one handed weapons (blessed) or a two handed weapon (greatsword, preferrably), and a Slith second with a halbred. Then the others have shortswords and shields, apart from my Nephil archer.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #12
First character usually has a greatsword
Second has a bow and a broadsword + shield
Third has a Halberd
Fourth has a sword and thrown missles, but are usually never used because of spells.

I'm so used so playing Avernum when I play Exile I only use four characters.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #13
Drakey, tell my again, WHY you have a rogue in the first place?

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
It's fun. In a long game like Exile III (as opposed to BoE scenarios) my characters can take on some personality. They can afford to train in skills nobody likes. Having 6 PCs give some luxury.

My absolute favorite party, though, is a two-PC slith party with a fighter-priest and mage-priest.

--------------------
====
====
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #15
I've tried to have a party of three NPC's, a Sword, a Spear, and a Mage/Priest but the Wizard couldn't get enough experience in spells so I had to lug around scrolls and potions with me all the time. ><

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5573
Profile #16
I never play a 6 CP party. Always 4 CP, or fewer (once, once, I played 5, but it's almost exactly the same as four).

For 4 CPs I have ...

Slith Halbard Bloke
Human Two Cool Swords Dude
Human (Slith) One Sword And Unencumbering But Cool Shield.
Human (Slith) With Two Swords.

Da daa!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Casual Moose:

I never play a 6 CP party. Always 4 CP, or fewer (once, once, I played 5, but it's almost exactly the same as four).

For 4 CPs I have ...

Slith Halbard Bloke

Da daa!

quote:

For 4 CPs I have ...

Slith Halbard Bloke

quote:

quote:

Human (Slith)
Human (Slith)

???

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #18
I assume he means he sometimes has them human, sometimes slith and sometimes the result of a love night you don't want to know too much about.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
Either that, or he gives them human graphics and names, but makes them Sliths just for the stat bonuses.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #20
This was a good topic to add to the Exile series, the question asked is a hard one at that.
Although I like Pole weapons, I prefer broadswords and shields. The Flaming swords are one of my favorites actualy, and I have to admit, I defiently vote for edged weapons. As I normaly don't include any Sliths into my parties, I don't normaly consider spears, I just like the money they bring in! :o

[ Thursday, March 16, 2006 23:23: Message edited by: Cmd. Edward ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #21
Oh, yeah, that brings back another question of the sort. I had a Steel Broadsword and enchanted it for +1 (like 6000 gold or something), but now it's like super-valuable. It seems to be like a weapon that's been enchanted is more valuable that an unenchanted one with the same stats.

For example an Iron Broadsword (+1) would be more valuable than a Steel Broadsword.

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 5573
Profile #22
Ash Lael: I can't see how it is that hard to work out what I am saying. You do have an IQ greater than that of a PE teacher's, no?

"Either that, or he gives them human graphics and names, but makes them Sliths just for the stat bonuses."

Ah, now the interesting thing about that is that all you get is the equivilant of two level's worth of exp which are altomatically spent. Which sucks, considering the amount of extra epx you have to get to level up. Sliths aren't worth it unless you're planning on getting all your characters to level 50 (or of course you want a pole weapon at the start, but it's easy to get one - the place at the top where there's the shambler. Up 'til then, repeatedly cast bless whenever he gets into combat and he'll have a reasonable chance of hitting.).
The one good thing about having a slith character is that if you make him the third pre-fabricated character down the list (Frrrrrr) then you have enough exp to be able to give him 20 strenght, lots of health and a good few levels on dexterity and pole weapons. When you start, you then get +2 strenght (yay). This then results in your character's health going up more slowly than if you had 20 Strenght.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #23
quote:

Ash Lael: I can't see how it is that hard to work out what I am saying. You do have an IQ greater than that of a PE teacher's, no?
I suppose it would depend on the PE teacher in question.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Apprentice
Member # 5573
Profile #24
Meh. PE teachers around here get confused easily:

"Why haven't you brought your PE kit to the lesson?"

"I forgot it."

"And you?"

"Ditto."

"Eh?"

They deserve to be hung.

Pages