E2: Test of Mind

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: E2: Test of Mind
Apprentice
Member # 6247
Profile #0
Does anyone know how to get this open?

http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/4426/e25ji.jpg
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
I'm not entirely sure you're meant to get that open.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 136
Profile Homepage #2
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that corner is a red herring, at least I can't remember ever opening the portcullis.
Try better the next test, to the east.
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #3
I don't remember opening it and I've been playing for about 10 years...
Just finish the test and ignore it.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
BANNED
Member # 6074
Profile #4
I don't think there is a way to open it...

--------------------
---------------------------------
Live long and prosper.
Viva mucho tiempo y prospere.
Habiter long et prospérer.
Leben Sie lang und prosperieren Sie.
Lever lang og prosper.
Longos vivos e prosper.
Lunghi in tensione e prosperano.
???????????
?????????
???? ? ????.
Apprentice
Member # 469
Profile #5
Well, I think only the person, that's made the game can answer that. It's been bugging me too for a loong time, but I hadn't found any way to open it. I tried everything.
Apprentice
Member # 6442
Profile #6
I don't recall ever opening that...sorry.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #7
It is not unusual that some rooms, doors, holes and the like are just there for looks and to make a more interesting level design. Compare with, say, jails; Lots of locked doors and rooms never meant to be explored but simply to give the right feeling of a jail.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #8
Yes, there is. You have to go back in the Test of Mind after completing all the tests, look at the portcullis, and you get an Alien Blade on the special.

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #9
Really!!!! :confused: That's cool. :D :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #10
Except he's full of it. You can't go back through the portal after you finish the test, and if I recall correctly, you get the Alien Blade from one of the "Sleeping Vahnatai" specials.

I don't ever remember opening that porticullis either. There have been several topics about it in the past, but no real answer. I think Jeff intended to do something with it, but it slipped his mind.

[ Friday, November 04, 2005 13:03: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Yeah. CS, this isn't the first time you've given fake hints. Stop it already; it's not funny, and it's annoying to have to explain to all the confused newbies that you're leading them up the garden path.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6544
Profile Homepage #12
I apologize for reviving this thread. I had no idea it was going to bring such controversy on the boards. Have I known before hand that it was going to cause so many problems I would have created a new "Test Of Mind" thread under my name. As a way of apology I am removing the original message I posted and may (or may not) include a future "Test Of Mind" thread, providing its not violating any rules of the boards.

[ Friday, December 16, 2005 09:31: Message edited by: MacCentris ]
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #13
I appreciate you're a newbie, so I won't go to town on you... However, please check the date of the last reply before you post. There is no need to resurrect dead topics.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
I look like you, but much more pale.
I can't escape from wind and hail

Answer: SNOW
I got "statue" on that one. I suspect "sno" will work as well, due to the 3 character words thingy. I assume it's short for "snowman."

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Apprentice
Member # 6544
Profile Homepage #15
That's very interesting, I just tried both SNOWMAN and STATUE and they worked equally. I guess it makes a lot of sense; both answers sound very logical and I bet Jeff Vogel just wanted to make things easier for everyone. I still can't figure out the "HELLHOLE" question though ;)

[ Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:36: Message edited by: MacCentris ]
Apprentice
Member # 6544
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Princess Ruth:

I appreciate you're a newbie, so I won't go to town on you... However, please check the date of the last reply before you post. There is no need to resurrect dead topics.
I don't remember seeing anything like that in the "Exile Board" rules. I never heard of such thing and I've been part of tons of message boards throughout the interner for 13 years now. There is such thing as "lock a thread" if you don't want any more posts into it. The last post was a month ago, not 6 months ago. It wouldn't make sense for me to make a new thread for the TEST OF MIND when there is already one.

I may be a newbie here but not to the web, also I've been playing Exile since it was first released and came in my MacAddict/MacHome CDs back around 1996. I just happen to want to pass it once more in more detail.
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #17
Lots of things may not be in the rules, but are generally frowned upon in these boards.
For example, double posting! Use the edit button.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
Fake hints and now a resurrection. What an unfortunate topic.

MacCentris, the general rule of thumb around here — you may have been on message boards that ran differently, but this is the norm here — is that if a thread has not been posted in for a while (perhaps a week), you should not post in it unless you have something genuinely new, useful, and necessary to add. This is not part of the CoC because it's mostly for the sake of politeness.

If someone had actually asked how to complete the Test of Mind and no one had answered, then your post would probably have been useful. However, you might notice that no one actually asked that. The question for which this thread existed had been answered already. Thus this revival falls under the "useless revival" heading. No harm done, but keep the rule in mind for the future.

I won't lock this thread, because it's probably better to let it die naturally, but let's leave it be unless there's something significant and new to talk about here.

EDIT: Double-posting is in the CoC, actually.

[ Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:02: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22thread+necromancy%22&sourceid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

... 752 search results, presented as evidence that there are plenty of other forums where people frown upon bringing back dead topics.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6544
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22thread+
necromancy%22&sourceid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&
ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8]http://www.google.com/search?q=%22thread+necromancy%22&sourceid=m ozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8[/url]

... 752 search results, presented as evidence that there are plenty of other forums where people frown upon bringing back dead topics.

what do you know, in a massive world of trillions and trillions of web pages in Google (and at least one million gaming message boards), it so happens that the whole internet has 752 topics of frowning about bringing up dead topics in message boards (usually at least 6+ months old).

Its ok, because I removed the topic as best I could. I would have deleted it if I could as well, my advice is surely not appreciated around here. It sounds humiliating to even have some ironic proof of such insignificant problem. It so happens that to belittle or humiliate a poster are also within rules that don't seem to be followed around here. I didn't do double posts at all, I wasn't going to post a reply to an individual message within my previous message when it had nothing to do with what I was talking about in the previous post.

Talking about board affairs and rules can also be consideredd an off-topic post, when the moderator could have sent me a personal message instead of posting to the whole world. I am truly insulted.

I guess this is goodbye.

[ Friday, December 16, 2005 09:32: Message edited by: MacCentris ]
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #21
Ok, MacCentris has resorted to using big words to show how disappointed he is.
Someone please lock this topic, he'll never let it die naturally!!!

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
I'm hoping that "big words" comment was a clever jab at the "trillions and trillions" comment, because I can't see any other unusual words anywhere in his post.

The reason that I said this to you in public, MacCentris, is that it's a common enough mistake that it's worth mentioning in public every now and then. There's no need to be insulted, as no harm was meant (as I stated explicitly before). There's also no need to get so worked up about being corrected.

In any case, this topic has outlived its usefulness. If anything more needs to be said, take it to PMs.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00