Faking the plauges?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Faking the plauges?
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #0
Slimes- This is embarrasing. They are basically one-hit-kill monsters so I fail to understand how towns were destroyed by them. For example, the group of soldiers that were "ambushed" by slimes that you can choose to save them or leave them win even if you don't help.

Cochroaches-Slightly harder, but not that hard. I don't see Guardian Roaches patrolling towns so it's kinda pathetic.

Troglodoytes-These guys are OK, but I only see their Khazis and Lords as threats.

Giants-I can see these being a threat to towns, but not Lorelei. How did the Giants get through the waves of guards surrounding the city to go in and destroy it?

Golems-This is perfectly understandable why they destroyed towns.

Alien Beasts-Obvious.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
I was wondering why the slimes couldn't be dealt with without some good help. It must be the shear number. And the fact that a regular townsperson has only 6HP.

--------------------
-ben4808
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
The roaches were mostly doing damage through disease. Or at least, that's how I hope it happened.

Then again, cockroaches are about, what? Level six or seven? And townspeople are only level one. So against the actual townspeople rather than the town guards, they'd do pretty well.

The same about the townspeople-plague combat goes for slimes.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 2633
Profile #3
The only plague I was quite confused by was the slimes. For being so pathetic, they did a lot of damage.

The cockroaches were extremely understandable, the problem with them wasn't that they were destroying towns or that the soldiers couldn't kill them, the problem was that even a small bite could cause major disease. And that in the sheer number they couldn't kill them fast enough to make a major impact.

Troglos and Giants were more than understandable, again it wasn't that they were too much to handle, is was more than they were on par with the strength of humans and the humans really didn't want to go to war with them.

Golems - obvious
Alien Beasts - Obvious

On a note about the slimes though: One must realize that that far south area of Valorium got almost no support whatsoever, so that could have been a problem as even one soldier lost may have been huge to them.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #4
But I mean come on. Lorelei has the right idea surrounding their city by GUARDS and not soldiers or Dervishes. I don't see why all the towns didn't fight with guards because they are more powerful than soldiers and dervishes.

And the slimes were not that tough. If six low level adventurers with poor to average equipment can end the slime plauge, then the city can send their two Dervishes and a few guards to eliminate them. And another thing, how did an EMPIRE ARCHER get caught in the lair? They could take out the slimes from thirty feet away, I don't see how one could get captured.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
However, if Jeff made the slimes too powerful, they would butcher the low-level parties of unsuspecting new Exile players, therefore leading them to consider the game impossible, leave, and not register. There has to be a balance struck here.

--------------------
-ben4808
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #6
It's more that the slimes were a problem they didn't know how to stop. The archer who did learn enough information was simply webbed down. If you ever play as a singleton and fight a group of spiders you'll find that this can happen quite easily, and with deadly effect even if you are a high level...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #7
That's true, but the man should have not been alone. And where did the zombies come from? Were there unsuspecting townspeople that went in?

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5974
Profile #8
Slimes: I imagine that the slime zombies came from ANY dead human (or even a real zombie). Also, it says in the game that the slimes' real danger was in numbers. Plus the Alien Slime seems to have carefully planned many of the attacks (destroy the shipyard so nobody can flee, attack the government, use the secret way into town, and get the healer)
Roaches: Definetly the disease factor. Plus the fact that they could conquer the sewers to take raids from below.
Troglodytes: They're as intelligent as humans, so they can cunningly plan attacks.
Giants: They tend to attack from afar first, so the humans have less of a chance of killing them.
Golems: Obvious, as even a party of Level 50 characters has only a slight advantage against them.
Alien Beasts: Between their strength and the fact that their lair was in the Keep of Tinaraya, obvious.

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 12:15: Message edited by: Gorank ]

--------------------
Dragons rule!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #9
Gornak - no, Troglodytes are not as intelligent as humans. They are illiterate to some extent, and they can hardly talk properly. They are only smart enough to realise that they can attack in numbers to get an advantage.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
Slimes have strength in their magical effects - they slime with acid, sleep, and webs, which can wreak havoc.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #11
They still don't seem like much of a threat Naktra. I don't see why the guards couldn't just throw spears at them while approaching or have patrols of archers roaming around shooting down all the slimes. Archers seem to be more effective against the slimes and roaches while soldiers seem to work better against Trogs and Giants. Not much seemed to work well against Golems.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
Giants can lob boulders from hundreds of feet away.

Troglodytes have powerful magic.

Slimes also have magic and travel in huge groups that can take down patrols. Also, there are not enough soldiers to both go on patrols and defend cities.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #13
Troglo Shamans don't have that powerful magic Naktra, and you don't see many Khazis wandering around except in Fort Troglo and the Troglo Resting Camp.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
Just because you don't see them doesn't mean that they don't exist. And Troglo Shamans have enough magic to take down cities without wizards of their own.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 5974
Profile #15
Actually, Spring, I believe that troglos ARE as smart as humans. They are literate (see Castle Troglo's library), and, though some of them don't talk well, neither do some humans. Vothkaro spoke perfectly. You can't say that beings of small intelligence could cast spells well, or devise that machine in the basement. However, they come from an incredibly violent society. Most lessons wold be about combat, not fine culture. They direct their intelligence towards war. Also, they have managed to form bipartisan (military and religion) bickering. If you need to see a sentient race of inferior intelligence, just see the Hill Giants!

--------------------
Dragons rule!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #16
Gornak, probably the Khazis and Shamans (lower Castle Troglo) were the intellegent planning Troglodoytes, while upstairs where the lesser-class low-intellegence, but strong Troglodoytes. Their King was an exception, having a large intellegence, enough to determine that the Khazis were a threat to his warriors.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5974
Profile #17
True, true, but there are smart and dumb humans too.
P.S. Would people PLEASE spell my name correctly?

--------------------
Dragons rule!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #18
Oh dear, very sorry.

--------------------