E2: Nephil Missile Bonus? (and other questions about racial-bonuses)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: E2: Nephil Missile Bonus? (and other questions about racial-bonuses)
Apprentice
Member # 4053
Profile Homepage #0
It says in the game that starting out as a Nephilim (the cat race) gives your char a bonus to missile weapons - does this include bows? or is it only for daggers, darts etc?

Is it true that you can't put poison on missile weapons?
How bout the mage spell poison weapon? Does that work when missile weapons are equipped?

Anyone know what exactly this "bonus" does? How much of a "bonus" is it compared to a human using missile weapons? How bout the Slith Pole Weapon Bonus? Does ambidextrousness help with 2-handed weapons or is it useless for that purpose?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Not sure about the exact nature of the nephil bonus to missiles and slith bonus to polearms, but neither is really all that spectacular. I think they're both just minor bonuses to accuracy.

You can never poison thrown missiles under any circumstances. You can poison arrows, though.

Ambidextrous is only useful when dual-wielding, and not great even for that; you can get the same effect just by putting 5 extra ranks into the weapon type of your choice to counteract the loss of accuracy when dual-wielding.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #2
I'd say, invest in pole weapons and get a magic halberd, or any halberd of that sort.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #3
A nephil would have 1 or 2 points more in dexterity and missle weapons. A slith would have the same for pole weapons.

That is unless you have a custom character. :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Um, this is Exile 2. Every character is a custom character. :P

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3159
Profile Homepage #5
I think he was saying the prefab party's Nephilim had an extra dexterity put into them over the humans. Of course I never used the prefab party so I wouldn't know.
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #6
If you make a custom character a slith or a nephil, you get extra dex/pole points put on when you save the party.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Apprentice
Member # 4053
Profile Homepage #7
ummm... they do NOT get an extra point to weapon skills.

Nephil gets:

2+point to DEX or was it 1 point can't remember

Slith gets:

2+ to STR
1+ to INT

that's it. the missile or Pole weapon extra has to be an invisible stat - because I don't see any other changes after you create a char.

Is it wise to make your mages/priests a slith since they get an extra INT for free? (plus don't have to spend a lot of points in STR) it seems to me after some experimenting that the human mage who is a few levels higher than the slith mage due to teh fact he levels faster is better overall anyway, this makes me think that the ideal character is a human with no abilities (not even the spell improvement trait) since levels are more important than any traits or skills?
Warrior
Member # 3159
Profile Homepage #8
The only problem with that philosophy is that once you hit level 50 (supposedly the max level, never needed that high) and have all stats maxed (via Knowledge Brew, etc.) you would be weaker than a character who was given more extra bonuses at start but took a little longer to level. The added exp cost is nothing on a mage if he's the only one in the party, so you might as well heap it on. Besides, try casting Fireball without Magical Aptitude and only 4 or so intelligence. Chances are at least one of the enemies will get hit with a flame that says "0." If you can't kill them, you can't level up.
And if you don't give people Toughness then you might lose your entire party. To a Giant Lizard.

[ Sunday, December 19, 2004 10:36: Message edited by: loserclassof06 ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Um, Toughness is useless. It reduces the damage from every hit you take by 1 point.

I used to take lots of advantages, but nowadays I don't really bother with most of them. If you have trouble doing damage with magic at low levels, you can always use wall/field spells, which do constant damage regardless of your casting ability.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3159
Profile Homepage #10
Oh yeah, flame cloud. One space. w00t. And one damage is a big deal when you only have 18-20 max health. It's also a big deal when they hit you 3 times per turn. And there's another reason its so low. You have to make the losses equal the gains. If he made toughness block a percentage of damage or a higher number per hit, it would be overpowered. I think that toughness is worth the 8 or so experience cost per level.
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by loserclassof06:

Oh yeah, flame cloud. One space. w00t.
Remember Wall of Force? Conflagration?

quote:

And one damage is a big deal when you only have 18-20 max health. It's also a big deal when they hit you 3 times per turn.
Eh, can't argue that, except that for me it doesnt make any difference because my singleton mage doesnt even get near them.

quote:

And there's another reason its so low. You have to make the losses equal the gains. If he made toughness block a percentage of damage or a higher number per hit, it would be overpowered. I think that toughness is worth the 8 or so experience cost per level.

Actually, I think its 10 xp per level (I think, it is in BoE, not sure about the trilogy.) but even if it were by 8, thats 400 extra XP needed to reach level 50. By the time you're level 15 or so, 1 point of damage wont really make all that much damage, so that would mean 280XP is going to waste.

EDIT: woops, messed up my quote tags.

[ Monday, December 20, 2004 15:33: Message edited by: Arachnid ]
Warrior
Member # 3159
Profile Homepage #12
You don't start out with Wall of Force or Conflagration. We're saying early game. In the early game, you need Fireball to be effective so you can blast through the Nephil Fort with as few casualties as possible. Sure... you could spend a while killing those "Black Saber" guys under Fort Draco enough times to level up, but the point is that Flame Cloud is the only spell you start out with that does a damaging field and it only does one space. If you have enough money you can go buy Ice Wall in Formello, but that requires either a few kills, the editor, or the sale of rather invaluable early game equipment, ie. the Bronze Broadsword(+1)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
I'm not too familiar with the Exile system, but I am pretty sure you can start out with Conflagration, or if not, at least get it very quickly.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
You don't start with all level 1-3 spells in the Exile trilogy, only in BoE.

Don't you start with Forcefield, though?

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3159
Profile Homepage #15
Nope. You buy Forcefield from the Vahnatai in Mancuso if I'm not mistaken, and Conflagration from the mage that lives where the first Bandit Fort was in Exile 1 (Northwest of Duvno). And those are in chapters 3 and 4. No help as you're starting out.
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #16
quote:

You don't start out with Wall of Force or Conflagration.
Really? Well, I guess thats what I get for never playing the trilogy anymore.
Warrior
Member # 3159
Profile Homepage #17
Woops, looks like I'm wrong. I've consulted my notes and such, and it seems that Wall of Force is in the Verdant Valley, which is just a tiny bit southeast of Fort Draco. As long as you don't explore too much you can easily breeze through the "Bandit's Lair" there and get the spell. All you need to kill are about a half dozen Brigands, 2 or 3 Archers, and a pair of Apprentice Mages. Not to mention the hordes of Gremlins and various types of Cave Rats which just happen to inhabit the outer areas of the cave.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #18
I kinda find it weird that i try and get every spell in the game, but I only use a handful of them. After all, conflargation isn't really useful. It's only good use is probably taking out hordes of low level creatures like goblins.

Hey loser, there is that experience factor where you kill more monsters you get more experience. :)

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Warrior
Member # 3159
Profile Homepage #19
Exactly. The added kills without having to spend as much gold on reviving and such makes up for the added exp. cost.
Apprentice
Member # 5547
Profile #20
I would definatley take it because its not hard to get another 10 exp! Its not really a big deal!

--------------------
-Ivan
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
Please do not raise long-dead topics from the dead.

—Alorael, who will put this one back to rest.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00