What exactly is "game difficulty"?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What exactly is "game difficulty"?
Apprentice
Member # 5672
Profile #0
What exactly changes with the game difficulty? I am guessing that only the damage you receive (from enemies, mines and so on), and not the damage you deal or the numbers of total health points. Hopefully nothing quest-oriented.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
Assuming it is the same as with every other spidweb game, difficulty affects only one thing directly: enemy experience level. This in turn affects their health, attack power, and dodge and hit rates.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #2
I thought difficulty only increased health in the Avernum series.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
Nope. In Geneforge (and A4) Str, Dex, Int, and End are all determined based on level, and base level is multiplied by some factor dependng on your difficulty.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #4
So it would be fair to say that difficulty modifies monsters' levels to make them stronger or weaker. You don't get more experience on Torment, though.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #5
Well, in GF series, difficulty level indeed has nothing to do with enemy hit points.The damage you recieve on four different levels are 50%, 100%, 150% and 200% respectively. It also affect the chance they can hit and dodge. The latter hardly matters since the attack skill of the pc usually be high enough to hit 100% of the times. Their bonus chance to hit make investments in dex for dodging almost pointless on torment. Simply assume enemies always hit.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Originally by Hume:

quote:
The latter hardly matters since the attack skill of the pc usually be high enough to hit 100% of the times.
Not always true. I usually pump my mechanics and leadership (too) high early in the game, and so there's usually a window where my attack skills are below where they should be and I end up missing a lot.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #7
I agree with Hume on this one; the difficulty didn't noticeably change the enemies' dodging rates in the Avernum games.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
Hmm.

On second thought, I don't remember when I tested this, so maybe I never did for GF1-3. Doh.

--------------------