Editor or Item Spawner?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Editor or Item Spawner?
Apprentice
Member # 9410
Profile #0
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to edit your character's inventory or to spawn items, within the game or as a character editor/trainer for macs.

Thanks!
Apprentice
Member # 8542
Profile #1
edit talk scripts of a city, so that someone there will give whatever you want when you ask them for "the god items". That's what i've done.
Apprentice
Member # 9410
Profile #2
Thanks for this but I don't know what you're talking about. How do you edit? Do I need an application to do this? Is there a "how to" or a tutorial on this board?

Thanks!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
All you need is a text editor to modify an existing script for a town. Look at how you are given items in different scripts to see the code that you need to add and there is a link in the header for helpful links that gives the item list for the game.

Besure to have a saved copy of the script before you modify it.
Apprentice
Member # 9410
Profile #4
Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions but I don't think I know what I'm doing, although I would love to learn. I have text edit that came with my mac and I've opened some script files but can't seem to find what I need items wise. Does anyone know of a list? Or guide me as to the easiest way I can do this?

Thanks again.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Open up the file gf4itemschars and do a search for the item you want to add to your inventory. For example, living tools. Then find the item number (begindefineitem #). A living tool is number 255.

Next, find a person or sign that you always have easy access to and open up the dialogue script (the one that ends in dlg) for the area that the person or sign is in. Let's say Delna in Southforge Citadel, so the file is z1sfcitdlg. Make a back up copy in case something goes wrong or you want the original file back. Then, search for a question that isn't tied to a quest or shop and isn't the beginning of a set of questions (mostly for convenience). "How old are you?" works nicely. At the end of the answer (and right before the next begintalknode), add
code =
reward_give(item #);
break;
exactly how it is written. If you want more than one item, add them all in individual reward_gives.

So, if you wanted Delna to give you three living tools every time you asked him how old he was, the script would look like this.

begintalknode 135;
state = 133;
nextstate = 134;
condition = 1;
question = "How old are you?";
text1 = "_Oh, old. Old. <...> Never let them raise me dumb._";
code =
reward_give(255);
reward_give(255);
reward_give(255);
break;
Dikiyoba hopes that is enough guidance.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #6
Check my site.

I have an updated editor ready for download.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Apprentice
Member # 9410
Profile #7
Thanks so much, Dikiyoba, I hope I don't screw things up!

Drythentor, I want to understand how your thing works -- I imagine I just replace (but not before backing up) the two script files in my game with the ones I can download off your site? And if I read it correctly, all I need to do is go back to the rebel base from the beginning of the game? The thing is, I don't recall meeting any Sarasaphilia when I first played that area and if I read the editor correctly, it works in dialogue with her? Last question, will this work after everyone leaves the rebel base? I guess I can check now since I'm about to play and am in chapter three I think.

Thanks again.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #8
Sarasaphilia is me. I am male, for starters.

Now, unless you have been tinkering with other script files, or have installed another person's editor, mine should work. I've tested it throughly. I even managed to insert some features which are not items or abilities. Try to create a cryodrayk, ur-glaahk, or ur-drakon. If the resulting creature is NOT a cryodrayk, ur-glaahk, or ur-drakon, the editor works.

You may want to undo what you did earlier, by Dikiyoba's intructions-it may have no effect, but it may be what's screwing you up.

[ Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:40: Message edited by: Drythentor ]

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
I can't get your editor to work either, Sarasaphilia. I downloaded it using "Save As" instead of copying, so it's not that. The itemchars one scrambles up all the graphics, and the other one just breaks all the dialogue completely.

Dikiyoba is on Windows, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #10
Sarasaphilia, did you upload your txt files using ftp? FTP has this annoying habit of altering the line breaks in text files, so the file you uploaded may not be the same as the one you originally created. When I looked at the ones on your site, they appeared to have unix line breaks, which are not recognised by GF4. For the versions on my site I converted the files to macintosh line breaks. This seems to work, even on my windows machines.

--------------------
"Blink and you're dead... Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink."

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #11
I used Fetch, as suggested by Aran. I'll try again, this time I'll just copy and paste the whole bleedin' thing onto my site.

Feel free to update the version on your site.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #12
Don't know if you've done it yet; version on your site still uses LFs instead of CRs.

--------------------
"Blink and you're dead... Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink."

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #13
Shoot. Not gonna have time to update the darn thing, I leave in about ten minutes.

Diki, Windows has little to nothing to do with script files. The .txt extension means that it is just a plain text file, which doesn't really belong to any one platform(programmers have been using .txt for decades).

--------------------