Geneforge 5 idea

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge 5 idea
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #0
I like a lot of people would like to see a Blades of Geneforge. However I have every time some made this suggestion I have seen other people list at least half a dozen good reasons why its not going happen.

My idea is that when makeing Geneforge 5 is that Jeff not go out of his way to make a Blades of Geneforge but place the seneraio data in one folder. If we wanted a differen't seneraio we simply take those files out and replace them with the player created seneraio files. just program the game engine to only excpet the orginal files till it has been registered. I admit I hardly know anything about programing. However I have seen this done with other games, which I'm not going to name because I don't like advertising a non spiderweb game on the the spiderweb forums.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
All the data files that aren't in the "Scripts" folder are in a format that's not really interpretable or editable to players.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #2
What I'm propasing is just make all files dealing with the seneriao editable/readable for any aspiring seneriao editors. Essinatly I'm just asking for it to be made possible and let anyone who trys find for themself.

[ Wednesday, June 06, 2007 06:57: Message edited by: Lord Safey ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #3
By Safey:
quote:
What I'm propasing is just make all files dealing with the seneriao editable/readable for any aspiring seneriao editors.
Make a Blades of Geneforge, you mean.

It's not like JV can press the Easy Button and - Presto! - the data files are suddenly editable. There would have to be a large amount of work involved to create an editor for an end user.

--------------------
IMAGE(http://media.staples.sh.cn/website/staples_cn/img/why_easy_3_button.jpg)
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #4
Off topic but I love those easy buttons, I have one in my office and we smack the sucker all day long.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #5
or prehaps just but the code concerning the seneraio in a file that is editable but not neccarly cattered to being editable. At the very most giveing them some kind of guide as to how to edit it if Jeff ever finds the free time.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Lord Safey:

or prehaps just but the code concerning the seneraio in a file that is editable but not neccarly cattered to being editable.
If that's all you want, then he's already done it. After all, it's theoretically possible to edit any part of Geneforge 4, even the stuff that isn't in the scripts, right now. It's just that nobody but Jeff knows how to edit it to any useful purpose.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
It might be easier to just start with a long string of zeroes, and edit them. After all, zeroes are open source.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #8
If only geting flamed worried any more. I have seen it be fore in games. Where the resource files were sperate for the game engine. Admitly the makers of the game came half way when it came to editing as the posted a rudimenry guide and evinventuall some editors were produced.

Prehaps Jeff could just make Geneforge 5 like he does all the other Geneforges and then come back later and g ive us some kind of guide as how to edit the code to make our own seneraios.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
Jeff doesn't like to take the time to make all that documentation and error checking available. When he is the only one using the code he doesn't have to think about how some one else might use it and run into difficulties. He just has to think about the plot and balancing out the game to the player's level at each area.
Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Lord Safey:

I like a lot of people would like to see a Blades of Geneforge. However I have every time some made this suggestion I have seen other people list at least half a dozen good reasons why its not going happen.

My idea is that when makeing Geneforge 5 is that Jeff not go out of his way to make a Blades of Geneforge but place the seneraio data in one folder. If we wanted a differen't seneraio we simply take those files out and replace them with the player created seneraio files. just program the game engine to only excpet the orginal files till it has been registered. I admit I hardly know anything about programing. However I have seen this done with other games, which I'm not going to name because I don't like advertising a non spiderweb game on the the spiderweb forums.

I'll be a jerk and say Ares from ambrosiasw.com. Sadly its so out of date that even though its got awsome graphics, amazing music, and great playability + an editor system its not realy worth it. O WHO AM I KIDDING! Its for old systems only and its a great space game. Of course its not realy 3-D but hey its fun. Still its old and I am a huge fan of Jeff so this is for your extra 15 bucks. I say spend your first set of money on Spiderweb games!

--------------------
A duke is just a duke but you see, I am "The Duke"