turabi gate and unlock

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: turabi gate and unlock
Apprentice
Member # 5811
Profile #0
Any hints on getting enough "spy points" to complete the turabi gate quest from the rebel side? I keep getting caught.

Also, where do you get to learn the "unlock" spell, since I keep being stymied by requirements for living tools I don't have.

Yours in serious geekiness,

dilettante
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #1
Refresh my memory on the Turabi Gate quest, please.

To solve the no living tools issue, simply train in Mechanics until it hits 14. That will get you past most of the mines/booby traps throughout the game with at least 40 living tools to spare.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #2
The Turabi Gate quest, in which you need to scout the defenses of the gate, can be completed as follows: one way is to just rush up to it, and eventually a message will appear that says you see the defenses and can report back now; while the other way (which is not my style, and thus I've never done it) is probably to sneak up without alerting the patrols, getting just close enough to see the message. Not sure what the 'spy points' you're refering to are. You can get caught and still complete the quest, but someone who's more inclined to that style should give you more info on that.

--------------------
You lose.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
You have to view the Gate from fairly close from two different angles. So to do it stealthily you have to sneak around once from the north, and once from the south. The order doesn't matter, and both routes have enough corners to hide behind. I've always found it helpful to be hasted, in order to be sure to have enough movement points to scoot to the next rock. You have to stay out of sight of the sentinels, but don't worry about the servile.

Fighting the guards at the Turabi gate is fairly tough, but can be done eventually. I've usually come back at some point in Chapter 4 to do it. The sentinels respawn, and if a sentinel triggers an alarm then some creations will be summoned; but the main gate defense force doesn't respawn, so you can whittle them down if you want.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
By the way, don't ever open any door that requires more than 2 or 3 tools, as there's almost certainly a key somewhere.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #5
Well there's no shortage of living tools, and unlocking gets you experience, so actually I prefer to unlock them!

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
I've played games where I've used every living tool that can be found, bought, and stolen. It helps to raise mechanics to eventually 12 and use items to maximize to 17 (the highest needed for traps).

Sneaking in combat mode with haste is a great way to loot the gate before you are strong enough to slaughter everything.

There are a few topics where this is discussed in more detail, Use the search function at the top of the page to look for "Turabi Gate."

[ Tuesday, February 06, 2007 21:51: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Warrior
Member # 6549
Profile #7
I'm very deceived because in this area I've killed several monsters (respawn) and no XP in return, I don't know why. Then I go out the area and I come back, going ahead until I am in front of the gate but there, impossible to go across because there are 4 turets, + incantator Diamus who is too strong and a lot of soldiers and creatures.

How did you done to go ahead ?

[ Sunday, February 11, 2007 23:09: Message edited by: Mimi ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Mimi:

I'm very deceived because in this area I've killed several monsters (respawn) and no XP in return, I don't know why.
Enemies that are spawned by scripts don't usually give you any experience. Enemies at a much lower level than you don't give experience either.

quote:
Then I go out the area and I come back, going ahead until I am in front of the gate but there, impossible to go across because there are 4 turets, + incantator Diamus who is too strong and a lot of soldiers and creatures.
The Turabi Gate area is intended to be extremely difficult, and you're not expected to be able to fight your way through when you first get there. It's possible to get past without attracting the attention of the guards if you run through in combat mode while hasted and hide behind corners at the end of each round. The only really interesting things behind the guards are an Essence-Infused Skin in a heavily locked box to the southwest, and a pair of Captain's Boots in a room to the south. You can't actually open the gates and leave to the west.

[ Sunday, February 11, 2007 03:36: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6549
Profile #9
The problem is that I am stuck at the north because areas are too difficult and I'm stuck there too... No way to go further in the game.
Because monsters don't respawn, it is not possible to have more experience to get stronger
I had not this problem in Geneforge 1,2 or 3 :(
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #10
Do random side quests. You might have inadvertently done some of them already, if you've been clearing areas like mad.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Mimi:

The problem is that I am stuck at the north because areas are too difficult and I'm stuck there too...
You're not supposed to fight your way through the West Barrier Zone or Thornton Ruins either. Talk to Alwan and get his passage bracelet for easier travel (requires that your reputation not be too pro-rebel). To actually get out of Illya Province, you have to either kill or repair Moseh. To get to him with minimal combat, use the underground routes to get to him; either approach from the west through Shaftoe's bunker, or from the south through Purity Workshop B and the Warded Sea Caves. If you've got Alwan's quest to repair Moseh, you can avoid fighting him entirely with at least 10 Leadership.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #12
Rely on daze to stun most or all of the opposition. At worst go into fight mode when entering a zone and buff yourself with speed, blessing, protection, essence shield, and augmentation before fighting. There has to be something that you can kill if you move forward slowly so you don't get swarmed.

Turabi Gate is easiest from the south side. You need to be in fight mode and hasted to go from hiding spot to hiding spot. The two items there are well worth the effort.