questions I have not recently seen asked about Chapter 1

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: questions I have not recently seen asked about Chapter 1
Apprentice
Member # 2186
Profile Homepage #0
I am currently tying up loose ends with my lovely new disposable pet roamer/vlish and leveled-up cryoae (what can I say, I save all my cash for shaping skills) and resisting buying the full version until I finish my current Paper Of Doom.

1) Hint on taking down the magical barriers in the Boiling Caverns? Or can you just not do it? Or is there a spell later which will do it? I have the mechanics skill that is recommended to finish Chapter 1, but there doesn't seem to be a control. Or was I supposed to talk to Shaila or something about it?
2) What does adjusting the difficulty of the game actually affect? Do you get more XP from enemies (please god!)? Are there more enemy encounters? Do they get more HP? The game feels too easy in places on regular difficulty but I'm not sure what going to another difficulty would exactly do.
3) Is there something I'm missing with the battle alphas on Chickweed Bridge? They seem to start banging on me before I can hit the trigger for the mines, which I suspect from hints in the zone is what I need to do (actually, I can't find the trigger--maybe you have to come from the other side). I wonder if the best idea is to create some fyoras to distract them, haste myself, and run like hell across the bridge to hit the trigger?
4) Can I just not clear out the critter imprisoned in Southforge Citadel and the Crazed Drake in Chickweed Bridge at this point, or is there a trick for that too?
5) The only other thing that remains to me in Ch 1 is the Dumping Pits, I do believe, and I want to say there are some random critters wandering around that area :-)
6) At what point does canister use actually start to affect me, and will I lose anything important by using them? For instance, does that bar me from aligning with the Shapers or Trakovites?
7) Not chapter 1, but do I get reputation points for EVERY research note I sell or is there some cap on that? I would like to go rescue some from Chapter 1. Also speaking of reputation, what is the object that I get for betraying Drewry and Lilly? I generally hate betraying people.
8) Has anyone actually managed to beat Geneforge with geek skills (mechanics and leadership) alone? I've heard it mentioned, but nobody's talked about doing it on the boards. I personally hate combat--it bores me--and I could do without ever being in it. But you sort of need it to get XP because what you get from mechanics and leadership alone just isn't enough to do a lot of leveling.

[ Wednesday, January 10, 2007 15:35: Message edited by: museumfreak ]
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by museumfreak:

1) Hint on taking down the magical barriers in the Boiling Caverns?
You can take down all the barriers in the Boiling Caverns with enough Mechanics skill and/or Living Tools. If you are having trouble with the barrier field in the northwest area of that zone, look around behind pillars and such...Jeff perversely enjoyed placing numerous levers and spore controllers behind things in places you can’t see them unless you run your cursor over them to light them up.

3) Is there something I'm missing with the battle alphas on Chickweed Bridge?

Stand just out of sight range of the alphas on the bridge, and watch their behavior. You have a window of opportunity, shall we say, if you shift into battle mode and run to the bridge to check things out and see what you can do there without the alphas ever seeing you.

4) Can I just not clear out the critter imprisoned in Southforge Citadel and the Crazed Drake in Chickweed Bridge at this point, or is there a trick for that too?

The Glaahk in Southforge you will not be able to take out for some time, as it’s a Chapter Three level creation. It’s worth coming back to do it at some point though. The Crazed Drayk takes some strategy and will depend on which kind of character you have selected and how many creations you have to help you. I usually use my first Speed Pod at this point in the game, especially if my character is solo. Protection and War Blessing are very helpful for any such confrontation. The drayk is much more lethal with its ranged attack. You might try scooting up next to it and dealing your damage from close range.

6) At what point does canister use actually start to affect me, and will I lose anything important by using them? For instance, does that bar me from aligning with the Shapers or Trakovites?

It will cause you to go into auto-rage/attack mode in some dialog options starting after you’ve used seven (I think) canisters. This is not a big deal if you like to fight and rack up experience points anyway. You will have slightly different consequences in the after-story at your ending if you use more canisters. It won’t prevent you from aligning with any faction of your choice.

7) Not chapter 1, but do I get reputation points for EVERY research note I sell or is there some cap on that? I would like to go rescue some from Chapter 1. Also speaking of reputation, what is the object that I get for betraying Drewry and Lilly?

You only get reputation points (pro-rebel) the first time you sell notes to Drewry.

I recommend making good use of Some Very Helpful Stuff

Caution: some of these lists have spoilers. Look at the Items List and search for "Captain Kane" to find what you get for turning in the rebel spies.

You can also find rewards and reputation changes here.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
1) Look behind pillars.
2) Monsters get more HP and might do more damage.
3) Use stealth, avoid the battle alphas, sneak to the center, trigger the mines on the timer and run.
4) You should be able to kill both of them with enough skill.
5) Yes.
6) Canister use (I forget the exact number) will make you fight several encounters you would otherwise not. It also affects your ending, but you can still join any side.
7) I think only once, but would need to check.
8) Probably. I tend to play this route, but still use some combat.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by *i:

6) Canister use (I forget the exact number)
Unlike every previous game, there are checks at several different numbers. The lowest I've seen is 5, the highest is 12. I'm not sure how many it takes to affect the ending, but it's definitely more than 10.

Note: the shaper ending sucks if you've used too many canisters. The rebel ending is only mildly affected.

As regards #7, you can do a surprising amount of stuff without having to fight anybody, but there are a couple of unavoidable fights where you at least have to keep yourself alive while your allies kill stuff. You may find yourself struggling with the final battles of chapters 3, 4 and 5 if you haven't levelled up enough.

[ Wednesday, January 10, 2007 17:39: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
3) Wait until the 4 battle alphas are going away from you as they patrol the bridge. Then go into fight mode and race for the spore box type controls on the south side of the island. Once you set the controls it's time to run back to a safe distance and wait for the mines to go off. If you are real lucky they may destroy an extra battle alpha as it patrols on the other side.

4) The Southforge prisoners can be done in chapter 1 if you have enough damaging attacks. The crazed servile is easy, but the glaahk takes lots of damage so you might need 2 rounds. Use several icy crystals, a discipline wand, or a powerful damage spell like searer.

The maddened drayk of Chickweed Bridge is hard unless you close to melee. The drayk's melee attack is 50-60 while the range attack is over 150, so you need enough health to last to a second round usually. A couple of icy crystals each round will work or several creations.

8) I don't think anyone has used pure geek skills. Most of us have enough mechanics to get through all the traps and some leadership to get some or all of the bonus experience and help that it gives. You need to fight or have creations. Eventually someone will try the pure pacifist game that is mentioned, but most of us go both the geek skill and combat route for extra experience.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #5
4) I'd recommend using a discipline wand here. For me, the early game is one of those rare occasions where one is actually useful. Couple that with a disposable thahd or two as distraction and use a speed pod.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
For #2, it definitely affects the level of characters you encounter. This in turn affects their Str, Dex, Int, End, Health and Spell Energy. Those in turn affect their hit and dodge rates and the damage their attacks do.

As far as I know it doesn't affect anything else, but I could be wrong.

It DEFINITELY does not affect experience, item drops, characters encountered, quantity of monsters encountered, quests, dialogue, etc.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 2186
Profile Homepage #7
Man, number 1 is STILL driving me completely nuts. I have moused over every pillar and I found the secret room and took down the ones in the Caverns but no luck on taking down the barriers in the mudpits. This was an evil decision on Jeff's part. Hide and go seek is not a puzzle! However, I should add that the ones I'm having trouble with are really big and they are in the SW area of the Boiling MUDPITS, not the Caverns. I bet that changes things?

Also, one more mystery: Nola seems to have vanished before I could give her her gold. Is that triggered by some in-game event?

Thanks everyone for your replies :-)

[ Wednesday, January 10, 2007 23:22: Message edited by: museumfreak ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by museumfreak:

Man, number 1 is STILL driving me completely nuts. I have moused over every pillar and I found the secret room and took down the ones in the Caverns but no luck on taking down the barriers in the mudpits. This was an evil decision on Jeff's part. Hide and go seek is not a puzzle!
I thought it was kinda neat. None of these secrets are necessary to complete the game, anyway.

quote:
However, I should add that the ones I'm having trouble with are really big and they are in the SW area of the Boiling MUDPITS, not the Caverns. I bet that changes things?
Ah, those ones. I don't think you can take all of them down, just enough to clear a path. That's the case for a lot of the pylons in the game.

quote:
Also, one more mystery: Nola seems to have vanished before I could give her her gold. Is that triggered by some in-game event?
Huh. Maybe she disappears after the end of Chapter 1?

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #9
For number 3, I've never had to go into fight mode to do this. The alphas walk fairly far away and they stay at that end of the bridge for a good amount of time. I have no problem just walking up, doing the deed, and walking away. Unless... does cheating and maxing your stats make you more stealthy?

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 2186
Profile Homepage #10
On the stuff on ermarian.net? It currently says that you get +1 to reputation for giving Fackler the research notes. But wouldn't it be -1, because doesn't it clearly say "helping him irritates the shapers?"
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #11
Nalyd isn't completely positive which is which, but the game operates the reputation on a single variable. Plus is good for rebels, minus is good for Shapers.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Nalyd:

Plus is good for rebels, minus is good for Shapers.
Other way round, actually.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

For number 3, I've never had to go into fight mode to do this. The alphas walk fairly far away and they stay at that end of the bridge for a good amount of time. I have no problem just walking up, doing the deed, and walking away. Unless... does cheating and maxing your stats make you more stealthy?
I had no trouble doing it without going into combat on my not-cheated-up character.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #14
In the Boiling Mudpits, to turn off all those field projectors in the SW, walk to the far west wall where you safely can, head south as far as you can, then east until you see a spore control box to the north of you. You can get to that control box to turn off the projectors by carefully walking through the path to it.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #15
museumfreak is correct. Synergy pointed that error out to me a month ago at least, and I haven't had time to get around to fixing it.

I can't help it if G4 ended up being less engrossing than emulated Nethergate!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00