Boiling Mudpits - SPOILER - Hidden Room

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Boiling Mudpits - SPOILER - Hidden Room
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #0
Did anyone else find the hidden room in the Boiling Mudpits? The control is a spore box behind a pillar in the northernmost passageway just east of the electrified field and north of the three mines, It opens a concealed door to a small room with a living tool, healing spores, and venom thorns.

Edit - correct last item

[ Sunday, December 24, 2006 21:59: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #1
Whoa, nice find Random. I sure never caught that one. Now one wonders if there are any more such missed rooms.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
And people complain about having to bump into walls in the earlier games. I prefer that to having to mouseover every pillar, by a longshot.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #3
There's just something about the satisfying click that levers make. Secret doors you need to run into just aren't as... clicky. Besides, if you really like the old secret doors, Geneforge 4 has some of those, too... sort of. The ones you need to walk up to in order to notice.

--------------------
You lose.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
I don't know ... the Exile III sound for discovering a secret door was pretty satisfying too.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #5
That sound was the same as the normal door opening sound. Secret doors are satisfying, but to run into walls for 15 minutes with the stubborn belief that what you desperately need to find is behind one when the answer is actually elsewhere is pretty silly. Almost as silly as spending time in MMORPGs improving your lumberjacking skills.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
It became habitual, though, and there were ways to tell where you needed to look and where you didn't. (This was not the case in BoE where designers put secret doors in bizarre places and nonsensical terrain habitually, but through E3 this was true.) You could do it in the course of a modified directional mash, as in 898989898.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
I could usually guess in Exile and Avernum where a hidden room would lie by looking at the automap. Geneforge 4 is the first game where I'm really wondering how much I missed in previous characters. I checked back with an early beta to see that the room was there all along and I walked past the control at least 8 times.

This game has more obscured bodies, chests, piles of sacks, and levers than any other game Jeff has made, Almost every run through I pick up another one.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Originally by Randomizer:

quote:
I could usually guess in Exile and Avernum where a hidden room would lie by looking at the automap.
And there was always the Magic Map/Far Sight spell if that failed.

Maybe the real reason so many Shapers and rebels are insane is from all the times they can't find where a lever or their stash of loot is.

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #9
Finding secret rooms in the Avernum series was not that difficult. All you had to do was check if the inside area of a building and the outside area matched up, and wall-bump around the perimeter of the unexplained extra room.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #10
Too bad most of Avernum takes place in caves, thus forcing you to check every wall. Then there are the places that look like they'll have a secret but done. Was it Angel's Rest that had that annoying "pillar of rock" in the middle of it? I checked for secrets on that thing, like, five times.

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 7871
Profile #11
thanks! i missed that one too..
anyone else find hidden rooms such as this?

LH
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #12
I hope there are more of those hidden rooms.

At least there's a hidden corpse in Spirefield that I didn't notice the first time, behind some trees (or whatever they are).