Ridiculous droppings

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ridiculous droppings
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #25
I remember boosting Luck in GF2, and getting two Roamertooth Bands (+2 to Fire Shaping) in a row, just outside the Magus Complex. Highly unusual, and quite a nice perk.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #26
I've had an unusual experience as well, with two clawbugs dropping clawbug carapace shields in a row. Could it be that the random number generator operates over a specific amount of time- that is, you have 3 seconds or so out of every 300 in which enemies drop their best goods?

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #27
Is it possible that luck caps out or goes back to zero somewhere before 30? I cheated and played the game through with 30 luck, and other than maybe one fyora cape I didn't get anything special. No thahd tunics, no roamer rings, nothing.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #28
It's been apparent for some time that Luck does not affect droppings. The question then is, what does Luck do in GF4, and is it worth any bother at all? I vote no, by my experience. What happened with 30 Luck, ET? Did you survive zeroed hits more often or miss getting hit more often?

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #29
Sorry, but I couldn't tell you. You see, I put everything to 30, which leads to the enemy missing you just about always, and makes the character destroy just about everything in one hit. Someone with more patience should make use of my editor and try only giving themselves 30 luck.

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
I think that every point of Luck increases your hit and dodge rates by 1%, but that's hardly a reason to buy it in itself.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #31
By 2%.

Out of curiosity, did anyone ever figure out what Luck actually did in Exile other than save you from dying?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #32
Isn't that enough? I think it may also have an effect on poison % and damage.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #33
Each point of luck increases your stun, mental, acid, and poison resistance by 3%, which is pretty good. The clover boots are better resistance than several roughly equivalent items.

--------------------

Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #34
Are you sure about all of those?

In previous games -- definitely in A4, and I think in older Geneforges -- having Luck would cause the status screen to display some real bonuses and also some spurious ones that were never factored in anywhere.

--------------------
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #35
That's the result from my testing with a shocktrooper. I recorded my resistance before and after investment of 3 points of luck, with those results (+9% to those resists).

I am probably using a different version than you, so maybe displaying those effects is one of the things Jeff changed from one version to the next?

--------------------

Geneforge 3 FAQ.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Schrodinger:

That's the result from my testing with a shocktrooper. I recorded my resistance before and after investment of 3 points of luck, with those results (+9% to those resists).
We're not arguing about whether it increases your displayed resistance; we're arguing about whether the displayed resistance reflects the actual resistance. In other words, have you, say, let a submission turret attack you 100 times with and without extra luck and seen whether it affects the average number of AP you lose?

This isn't just speculation; every point of luck in Avernum 4 supposedly increased your elemental resistances, but controlled testing showed that it didn't actually make a damn bit of difference -- you took just as much damage with 10 luck as with 0.

[ Wednesday, January 03, 2007 16:07: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #37
The good news is this is DRASTICALLY easier to test for in G4, since the game tells you how much damage you take AND how much you resist. The proportion resisted is definitely not static, even given two completely identical attacks on the same PC, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out an average given a decent set of trials.

I want to do this, actually. Quantifying the reduction you get from Parry in particular would be useful.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
Testing Luck is hard, though, since most of the things it helps you resist don't do direct damage. I suppose the easiest way would be to go into an area that does continual poison damage and see if Luck helps reduce it.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #39
So go to the Dumping Pit and kill the roamers in the entrance. You can sit next to the healing pool and just wait for the poison to hit you every few rounds.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #40
OK- I figured it out. It took some testing, and my statistics are based on a total of about 80 acid resistance events, and about 40 magic damage events for both with and without luck.

I made an artila and had it shoot me, recorded the damage and damage resisted with and without 4 points of luck (clover boots + charm = +4 luck).

Character's armor class with boots and charm: 54%, without 50%. Energy resistance with: 28%, without 26%. Acid resistance with 57%, without 45%.

The artila's to hit % with boots and charm: 76%, without 84%.

Total damage done by magic artila spit:
With boots and charm: 747 (270 resisted)
Without: 803 (241 resisted).
26.5% resisted with luck, 23.1% resisted without.
This is probably best attributed to the energy resistance difference due to the armor.

Total damage by acid from artila:
With boots and charm: 687 (288 resisted)
Without: 917 (384 resisted).
29.5% resisted with luck, 29.5% resisted without.

So at first glance, luck doesn't seem to enhance resistances at all. However, there's more to it, so consider:

The acid damage done per magic damage point with luck was 0.92.

The acid damage done per magic damage point without luck was 1.14

The ratio of these two (1.14/0.92 = 1.24) is roughly inversely related to the ratio of my relative acid resistances (57%/45% = 1.267). So the luck doesn't act on the "damage resisted" number, but instead seems to act on the total amount of acid layers given per attack. It does seem that luck affects these resistances approximately proportional to the values on the stat page!

EDIT: So this looks like the resistance percentage affected by luck is the chance to completely avoid a layer of damage, rather than resisting parts of it.

[ Thursday, January 04, 2007 09:34: Message edited by: Schrodinger ]

--------------------

Geneforge 3 FAQ.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #41
Sounds right. I've long suspected that that's how acid and poison resistance actually work. (Which also means there's no benefit to putting on acid or poison resistance gear once you're already poisoned.)

By the way, is it just me or does there seem to be a cap on acid and poison damage per round? No matter how long I get beaten on by rotghroths, I never take more than about 50-70 damage from acid -- on the other hand, being hit more does seem to extend the duration of the acid effect.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #42
Acid seem to work that way in Avernum 4. Multiple castings of acid spray increased the duration, but it had a maximum effect per round no matter how many were cast.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #43
Yeah. I think the max per round is higher, though. When I was carting around seven Artila, they seemed to max out around 90 acid damage per round.

--------------------
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #44
I killed a drakon, a eye beast and a rothrogoth and they didn't say thanks they didn't give me any money this is outrageous!!!
Off with there heads!!!
Droopings are irregulliar and it hapens like that you can have a cake killing a servile and have a tash killing a crystal luk make droppings to be more suchessfull.

[ Friday, January 05, 2007 10:50: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #45
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

I killed a drakon, a eye beast and a rothrogoth and they didn't say thanks they didn't give me any money this is outrageous!!!
Off with there heads!!!

aaarggghhhhhhh! In addition to being annoying, this sort of post really doesn't help your case for remaining a member. If you actually read this, please make sure you are aware of the future consequences.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

Off with there heads!!!

Did you read the PM I sent you?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #47
I leafed this post on a hurry sorry i didn't completed it . :(

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Apprentice
Member # 7871
Profile #48
isn't the %hit chance factored not only on your character's ability to hit (or be hit) but the weapons themselves sometimes add or subtract to the hit chance, the enemies might have armor/ spells that add or subtract to your hit chance, and some cast spells that add or subtract to your being hit chance.

i don't know that it's so much random, but it would explain if you built up your armor to 50% and you still get him more than half the time.

LH
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #49
Here's how hit chance works.

Each form of attack has a default chance to-hit. Almost all of those are between 50% and 80%.

Each level of attack strength increases hit chance by 5%. For creations and NPCs, attack strength = Strength + skill with the attack ability. Skill is a hidden stat on creations that does not change with level. Strength is used even for missile attacks and yes, even for spells!

For the PC, attack strength depends on the type of attack.
Melee: Strength + Melee Weapons + bonus from equipped weapon
Missile: Dexterity + Missile Weapons + bonus from missile used
Magic: Spellcraft + appropriate magic category + skill in individual spell

If the attacker has Luck (PCs + Gazers, basically) add 2% chance per level of Luck.

Remove 2% chance per level of defender's Luck.

Remove 5% chance per level of Dexterity the defender has.

(Also remove 5% chance per level of Nimbleness, a hidden stat that Thahd Shades and Plated Artila (and no one else) had in the first three games. I can't remember if Plated Artila still have it in G4.)

In summary:
Default chance to hit <-- attack type
+5% / lvl of attack strength
+2% / lvl of Luck
-2% / lvl of Luck
-5% / lvl of Dexterity

Note that if the final number is capped on top by 99% and on bottom by 1%. However, the actual results stop following the expected distribution when you get close to either of those numbers, so in practice the limits are closer to 95% and 10% or so.

--------------------

Pages