Avernum 4 Observations

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4 Observations
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #25
If you are in the regular display ESC, escape key, does send you to the menu of save game, preferences, etc. It doesn't work all the time, but it works enough so I don't have to use a mouse or the correct key.
Warrior
Member # 6934
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

[No, Jeff does it deliberately to have a good laugh at his players. I just found a canister in A5 hidden behind a pillar 3 days ago that you can only find by moving the cursor over the hidden areas (you need the item inside to finish a quest easily). Get used to the idea of scanning the entire map this way whenever there is the slightest possibility of something being hidden by an object or wall.
I stumbled across an alternative I had forgotten about. If you hit 'u' for 'use' the secret little things will show up with a letter of the alphabet conveniently placed beside them. That sure helped me a lot.
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #27
quote:

Okay, I just tried the workaround for fudging the character graphics mentioned here again. This is another thing I'd tried before, but hadn't been able to make work. Well, today is my lucky day, I guess, because it worked fine for me this time. Yay! (I must have been totally out to lunch the day I tried all these things before or something, I dunno.) Anyway, thought I'd add that, both to forestall the advice, and also to direct any new readers to that trick.

I'm only in the beginning of A4, but does this imply that it is very difficult to play with Human characters? I haven't been doing so badly with an all human group so far (fighter-type custom, rogue-type custom, shaman, sorcerer).

[ Friday, October 05, 2007 16:53: Message edited by: Ming ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #28
A4 is the first of the Avernum games where experience decreases significantly when your level is higher than the monster's level. So as you get higher you get fewer level increases. The skill bonuses of nonhumans and especially the nephil more than make up for the lower levels due to XP penalty. You don't really get penalized for having high XP penalty since the associated skills that get added on are more than the skill points you would get for more levels using a lower penalty or even a XP bonus.

You can play with humans, but you don't get all those nice weapon skill bonuses and gymnastics to avoid damage if you play a nephil.
Apprentice
Member # 10811
Profile #29
Ming, I'm sure you can do fine with a human party. I'm just partial to nephil characters because I like using ranged attacks and moving quickly and Trying Not To Get Hit (tm). That's always my preferred strategy, because I am a card-carrying coward. :D

So I find the gymnastics and dex and missile bonuses you get with the nephil really hard to resist. They're basically tailor-made for what's always been my favored tactical approach, is what it comes down to.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #30
You can play with humans -- they're just close to 100% inferior to Nephils. In the end this doesn't make a massive difference outside of Torment, though.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #31
Thanks for the feedback, I still am early enough in the game that I could swap out for a Nephil for at least one of the characters. Oddly enough I had one initially, and felt he was progressing poorly so I swapped him out with another human! I hadn't considered how he might benefit later in the game.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Yama Toman?:

You can play with humans -- they're just close to 100% inferior to Nephils. In the end this doesn't make a massive difference outside of Torment, though.
It's even worse in Avernum 5. You really should be given an experience bonus if you run with humans in your party.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #33
Personally I'd just be happy if the Nephils weren't overwhelming better than the Sliths. Although having playable humans would be nice. :P

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #34
The slith is improved! The nephil continues to dominate. The poor human continues to languish, except it is even more accentuated now with no inherent bonuses and the need to work harder for Battle Disciplines. I keep complaining to Jeff that humans are so boringly and unattractively unuseful as PCs, and that I would love a reason to choose one. So far, the only practical reason is so you don't have to look at four fuzzy or reptilian faces on your screen.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #35
quote:

Although having playable humans would be nice. :P

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
An easy way to give humans an advantage would be to let humans start with up to three traits instead of two (or let nephilim and sliths have only one trait), but that might shift the balance too far in the other direction.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #37
So basically, non-humanity would be a trait. Sounds balanced. In A4, 2 trait humans would be chosen over 1 trait nephils, but 2 trait nephils and 3 trait humans would each offer advantages.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #38
I was pushing for humans getting bonus skill points which keeps the generalist nature of humans, but giving them less than the skill points needed to raise nonhuman skills.

The option of an extra trait might be too much depending upon what was chosen. Even with the extra experience penalty, a divine touch, elite warrior, with one other major trait could be come extremely powerful without using skill points.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #39
I dont see the big differnce betwen humans and non-humans, I mean I played with 2 humans, 1 slith, and 1 nephilim.My human and slith warior were evenly matched and I think the human was even a little stronger.

But I wouldn't mind 3 traited human and 2 traited non-human characters.

--------------------
If you listen to LakiRA@ all will go well!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #40
Wait until you play A5 and the difference becomes glaringly obvious about halfway through the game. Seriously, A3 was the last game where playing a human was better on all difficulty levels and that's only if you weren't out to get extra encounters with Empire troops. A4 was better to be a nephil on torment difficulty.
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #41
While not strictly a race comparison - I've always preferred Elite Warrior to Slith as pure 'traits'. The XP cost of Elite Warrior is lower and, all other things being equal, a Human Elite Warrior will last much longer in a fight than a Slith (parry is great). The Slith can dish it out with a pole weapon, but he just can't take it. And, at the end of the day, a Slith is no use if he is dead because he got beat on and couldn't avoid all that damage. Nephil Elite Warrior - great; Nephil, Fast on Feet, Elite Warrior - even better.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #42
Nephil elite warrior divine touch for A4 and A5 is better as a fighter since you get increased blademaster and pick up sharpshooter. Fast on feet isn't as helpful since those extra AP can't be relied on to help when needed. Increased health through tough constitution is useful later in the game.
Apprentice
Member # 8088
Profile Homepage #43
The graphics in A4 just sucks, it's not avernum, it's..something different, in a bad way.

So I guess A5 won't be much better, imo.

[ Monday, October 08, 2007 12:10: Message edited by: Shaken ]

--------------------
They can't kill the Messiah.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #44
The one major thing I missed in Avernum 4 that hasn't been mentioned is the lack of elevation.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Celtic Minstrel:

The one major thing I missed in Avernum 4 that hasn't been mentioned is the lack of elevation.
For what it's worth, this has been discussed, and Jeff is bringing it back for A5.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #46
One more thing that bothered me in A4 is that map is totally unaccurate.You get out of the map it says that you are milles from the place you actually are.It is hard when you don't have reliable map.

Hope Jeff improved it in A5.

--------------------
If you listen to LakiRa@ all will go well!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #47
The map is actually pretty accurate -- once you figure out which part of the icon that shows your location actually points to your location. It's not obvious (and I don't even remember without looking at it).

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #48
And which part of the icon shows your exact location?

--------------------
If you listen to LakiRa@ all will go well!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #49
quote:

(and I don't even remember without looking at it).
Pick somewhere where you know where you should be on the map, look at the map, and figure out what part of the icon represents where you should be.

—Alorael, who generally doesn't use the map. In A4 he knew where he was from too much time wandering in A1 and A2, and in A5 he just didn't get lost terribly.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages