Purely in the Interest of Role Playing.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Purely in the Interest of Role Playing.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #0
I know how one could justify an all Nephil party. (Though not four Nephils with the Divine Blood trait.)

You could be proud honourable Nephils, offered up to serve Avernum, all the while also hunting for a place to start a new clan on your own lands.

After all, what better way to scout for a new home than to join the army and be sent to all of the remote places of Avernum? Bound to find a suitable home sooner or later...

Ok. Resume being munchkin now.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

(Though not four Nephils with the Divine Blood trait.)
That part's easy! :P

1 horny angel or deity + 1 horny Nephilim = 1 Nephil with divine blood.

Assuming the angel (or deity) and the original nephil were still frisky, the other three divine blood Nephilim are merely the first's younger brothers (or sisters, if there's a feminine enough looking portrait for Nephilim, and you're so inclined).

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #2
Well the one that wears bright pink...

Question. The Divine Blood trait implies that greater beings walk freely through the world.

I see plenty of demons to kill.

Where are all of the "good" beings?

Or would the Divine Blood type be half demons? That would certainly be interesting to think about, Cambions running around Avernum. But those are always male.

[ Friday, December 23, 2005 06:07: Message edited by: Delicious Vlish ]

--------------------

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
*Ahem, keep it family oriented now*

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
I was pleased to see that the dialog engine recognized there was a nephil in the party. I don't remember if previous Avernums did that. It's too bad it still can't account for a party with all nephils -- I imagine a number of npcs might react rather differently.

It was always funny playing Exile II with a singleton slith party and reading all the comments that didn't apply at all.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

I don't remember if previous Avernums did that.
I don't know if they recognized nephils, but A2 and A3 definitely recognized sliths. BoA has the capacity to figure out everything about the party's composition.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
A3 recognizes nephils in the nephil village in Krizsan Province. I think there's someone who complains about nephilim in A2 if you don't have a nephil in your party. Commander Johnson, maybe?

I think the obvious source of four Divinely Touched nephils in quadruplets. Divine parents have lots of offspring!

—Alorael, who is willing to let insubstantial heavenly beings conceive four babies at once through immaculate conception. If YHWH can manage one, there's certainly someone who can manage more.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #7
I could be totally wrong, but I seem to recall in Exile some place that the Nephar were Nephils that were a demonic crossbreed. But this changed, I think in Avernum.

Could be wrong. A lot of things were changed from Exile to Avernum, and not all of them good. Like Sliths for example, being magical creatures with a bonus to their int score.

And on the subject of role playing... Purely from a role playing view... I have considered a party with two sliths and two nephils. Since their are of course, two of each kind of graphic.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
A3 gives nephils all sorts of racial slurs- one of the things I liked about it. It also recognizes sliths- remember the Kriszan Province patrol that basically attacks the party if they have a slith in their midst?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally posted by Delicious Vlish: And on the subject of role playing... Purely from a role playing view... I have considered a party with two sliths and two nephils. Since their are of course, two of each kind of graphic.
That's how I play A2 and BoA (Don't play A1 and A3, and can't play A4 until the Windows version comes out.) Well, I pretend one of the nephil is a nephar, but still...

Also,
quote:
Orginally posted by Kelandon: I don't know if they recognized nephils, but A2 and A3 definitely recognized sliths. BoA has the capacity to figure out everything about the party's composition.
Tor, near Fort Draco in A2, reacts to having a nephil in the party. Funny how A Perfect Forest in BoA doesn't react given that my entire party has no humans...

-Dikiyoba (Good luck figuring out what that stands for.)
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #10
Gordon in Exile I says:
"The Nepharim. It's weird. They're like Nephilim, have Nephilim mothers, but something makes some of them come out bigger, and meaner, and mostly sterile."

Awrrm in Exile II says:
"Nepharim not all bad, but these should die. Nepharim like what you humans call mules, bigger than us and sterile. These mules hate us and enslave us."

That's it though. I think the implication of demonic or divine origin comes more from the name 'nephilim.' See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
What prompted that? We were talking about justifying the Divinely Touched trait for nephil party members and nepharim aren't involved at all.

—Alorael, who is sure there are quite a few more places that describe nepharim. It sparked a debate for a while over whether nepharim were like mules in that they were sterile or like mules in that they were halfbreeds. The consensus is the former.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
Slartucker was replying to Vlish's post. Probably should've quoted it to make it more clear.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
Total non non sequitur, Alorael.

And if there are other places, they aren't in Ex1 or 2. I just did a batch find of the resource fork with all the dialogue.

Edit: Personally I'm not a fan of making long threads longer by quoting passages that are already in the thread, one screen up. But -- when in Rome, as they say :)

[ Friday, December 23, 2005 16:35: Message edited by: Slartucker ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
No, it makes sense. I just completely missed Vlish's post. I must've hit page down at the wrong moment. The fact that I talked about nepharim as a crossbreed was purely coincidental.

From what I remember of E1, nepharim were still just nephils on genetic steroids.

—Alorael, who would guess that the nephar gene is recessive. Nephilim are nn or Nn and nepharim are NN.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

Personally I'm not a fan of making long threads longer by quoting passages that are already in the thread, one screen up.
I avoid that by quoting individual sentences. :P

--------------------

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
Yeah, but this quote tag takes up so much space...

I know, I know, I'm a real minimalist Luddite. You should have seen how long it took for me to be willing to switch my monitor resolution up to 800x600.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
I switched to OS X this past August. It was a good thing.

—Alorael, who also held onto 640 x 480 long past the expiration date. The 20th century will get him kicking and screaming. The 21st century can stand in line.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
OS X is a good thing. After the time I refused to upgrade to System 7, I've learned to be receptive to new OS's, if nothing else.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5900
Profile #19
LOL.

I can't even remember when it was that I left 800x600 behind (did I ever used it? First computer was a 1992 Quadra). But, come to think about it, I'll probably be like you guys and stick to 1024x768 for a long while. Me and my good ol' 1998 G3 B&W.

Anyway, I just noticed something. This is the first of ALL Spiderweb games (yes, I played all of them too) in which I'm not roleplaying. Probably the ugly side effect of less character models and no graphics for skill descriptions... oh, and the uselessness of thrown weapons. :(

Who can guess what the above adds up to?

My super cool ninja party leader throwing razordisks and slicing everyone who dared stand on his badass way! Ah, the good Exile 3 days, when I would go all the way back to Ghikra just to stock up on razordisks...

Anyway, seriously, I guess I'm so focused on the mechanics of the game (battle and leveling) that I completely forgot the roleplaying.

RAmpaGE.

[ Friday, December 23, 2005 18:34: Message edited by: RAmpaGE ]
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #20
I scream bloody murder when I am forced to work in a resolution smaller than 1600x1200.

I survived on an iMac for a long time at 1024x768. It was Hell I tell you... HELL.

So cramped. It was like being in prison. I would get clausterphobic attacks if i stared at the screen to long.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
Sorry, Alorael. I'll agree with you that the nephar gene is recessive, since that makes it simple. But recessive genes are lowercase (n, in this case) and dominant genes are capitalized (N). So a nephil would be NN or Nn while a nephar could only be nn.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
That was a very subtle (read: stupid) pun on nepharim being larger than nephilim.

—Alorael, who wonders if the nepharim gene carriers get any particular advantage from it.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
They're probably bigger and stronger. Not by much, but by a little.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #24
The Nephar carriers become Nephil Warriors instead of plain Nephil. :D

As for resolutions, I like fairly big on-screen fonts, so I like 1024x768 on my PC desktop. I didn't swap out of 800x600 on those until I got a 17" monitor. On Macs, it varies...I got an 832x624 monitor with my 9600 but got used to higher reses on school iMacs and stuff. Plus downing my Powerbook's display to less than 1024x768 just looks nasty.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.

Pages