Chitrach Attack

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Chitrach Attack
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
I've been playing A4 again and after all my whining about the Eastern Gallery chitrachs, I decided I needed to keep a count of them. So far I've killed 15 chitrachs, but I haven't ventured into the swamps and I haven't gone into a single underground area with chitrachs.

So consider this poll kind of like one of those elementary school exercises where you have to estimate how many jelly beans are in the candy jar, but instead, you're guessing the number of chitrachs in a cave.

CLARIFICATION: This counts plated and all other varieties of the bugs as well, though I am keeping a count for each type of chitrach, also.

[ Friday, March 02, 2007 20:00: Message edited by: Slartyphobia ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 22 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=vhgbbYQLkKQf"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=vhgbbYQLkKQf"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
You will also have to separate out the spawner generated chitrachs, since the longer you take the more of them there will be. I don't think there are more than 100. It just seems like they never end.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #2
I don't know how many there are, but it's too many. I voted 100-125, assuming you walk past every nest, trigger every event and as Randomizer says take more than a couple of rounds killing the spawner, sorry queen.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
I think my numbers were too low, in fact.

I've now cleared out the entire "ground" level (unless there are chitrachs on the slith peninsula, but I don't think there are) plus the chitrach crevice under the farm, since that is a contained area. The caves that stretch for 20 areas are untouched.

TOTAL SO FAR - 103 CHITRACHS
67 vanilla chitrachs
30 plated chitrachs
6 unique chitrachs (4 gnawing, 1 venomous, 1 eggtender)

Needless to say, this is unsettling. I hesitate to guess what the numbers will be after I tackle those caves, but... oof.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #4
Holy cow...and I thought my 100-124 guess might have been pushing it.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
I didn't think there were that many and I replayed that area last month working on my A4 singleton. The Slith penisula just has sliths, rats, and bats. After the Eastern Gallery you don't see chitrachs until the Great Cave.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #6
There are even more in the great cave, though not as much as in the eastern gallery. There are some scripted re-spawning there, you kill rate will depend on haw many trips you need to bring loot back to a merchant.

I voted 200 or more for the whole game.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #7
The chitraches can breed very fast.
So naturaly, there should be 200+.
Which is what I voted.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Warrior
Member # 8176
Profile #8
I voted for 125-150 because there are chitrachs on the surface and in the underground tunnels, and I seen chitrachs respawning in the tunels even before you kill the queen.

--------------------
The revenge is only a wild way of justice.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
As far as I can tell, there are zero respawning chitrachs except for the bugs created on-the-fly by the queen.

I'm somewhere between a third and a half done with the underground areas now, and I'm close to 200. Suffice it to say that this was not the best-designed poll ever.

...anyway, this is ridiculous. Right now I'm hoping it doesn't make it to 300. Sheesh. I remember that the last level of Wizards & Warriors was supposed to be really hard because it had 100 monsters in it. ChronoTrigger made a big deal out of the "100 beasts" in Magus's Castle. But those monsters were all varied, and they did not all have Parry and Riposte with a poisonous attack.

Thank god they no longer use the clawbug graphic, that's all I can say.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
You know... I also thought 100 would be pushing it. I thought to myself "I'm sure I'm exaggerating... it wasn't that bad."

In conclusion, drat.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
Well, my last post turned out to be a little alarmist. The underground tunnels were less extensive than I remembered -- of course they don't reach the eastern half of the Gallery. I think I was just so traumatized from the clawbug graphics that I exaggerated it in my mind. Here are the final totals. I have not included any bugs created by the Chitrach Queen (though I have included the Queen herself, which might be controversial -- is she really a chitrach?). The parentheses give a breakdown of the bugs found in the chitrach labyrinth vs those found above ground or in the farm crevice.

TOTAL: 227 (123/104)

120 Vanilla Chitrachs (53/67)
81 Plated Chitrachs (51/30)

5 Hivetender Chitrachs (5/0)
4 Gnawing Chitrachs (0/4)
4 Frenzied Chitrachs (4/0)
4 Dormant Chitrachs (4/0)
3 Infected Chitrachs (3/0)
2 Eggtender Chitrachs (1/1)
1 Venomous Chitrach (0/1)
1 Mindwarp Chitrach (0/1)
1 Reddish Chitrach (1/0)
1 Chitrach Queen (1/0)

Nonetheless... 227. RIDICULOUS. DIE, CHITRACHS, DIE.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #12
Ye gods, that's a lot of chitraches. Far more than I remembered. Clearly it's true what they say about the mind blocking out trauma.

Well done Slarty on another piece of useful statistical research. Next project: count how many thorns there are in the Geneforge series.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Slartyphobia:

As far as I can tell, there are zero respawning chitrachs except for the bugs created on-the-fly by the queen.
There are in the great cave.

And I'm sure Chitrachballons didn't count those. (yet)

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
Slartyphobia and Chitrachballons are the same person. People around here change names a lot. It pays to take note of member numbers.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
For many of the name-change offenders you can rely on title as well.

—Alorael, who can technically include himself in this category. Of course Drakey's foibles make this more complicated, as he has not one but two titles to be recognized.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
I didn't mind the chitrachs that much. It was mainly just the following: Find a chitrach, poke, smite, and repeat.

But I said +200 as well. I thought I may have been exaggerating, but... :eek:

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #17
The thing that I think really made them horrible for me the first time was facing them as a singleton. I had a 99% dodge against them, but the lack of good First Aid meant I had to just use my bow against them, so each chitrach basically attacked and missed 3 or 5 times, with me shooting them in between each one. Their attack sound/animation gets very annoying when it is a repeated pause in a chain of pressing the same button over and over.

--------------------